1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Analysis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Why are we calling this "busted" coverage?
    Eli Apple (#20) bites on Picken's move and pays for it.
    The announcer is blaming Bates (#30) who takes the out route, Sims (#82)
    Bell (#24) is the Safety who doesn't roll to the top.

Pickens runs right at Apple who gets stupefied but in short, it is his man.
    #24 should have went to the top
    #20, if he took on Pickens, then that left Sims with no one. Anyone disagree? (Apple would have to run a mile to cover Sims in that case.)
    So are you relying on the announcers?

Pickett sees Pickens all the way and nails him in stride and gets clobbered for doing so. (Sorry for the blur)
    Capture.JPG
    Screenshot 2022-11-21 162614.jpg

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’d show you how to put someone on ignore but I have you on ignore

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What about the deep safety doing nothing

4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    agreed about his first half performance

5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    That's what I said, #24 didn't come over the top.
    But Apple is supposed to be able to cover that, he just got blownup.

And even when you watch it (I was right there) #24 would have had to been running almost pre-snap to get there. Pickens read that so perfect... I give him high marks on that one and Pickett made a good throw getting buried.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think I saw you

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    lol.... corner, near Steelers banner.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    It doesnt matter what Pickett does, he could go for 350 and 3 tds and they would still complain because they are probably Cultists from middle of nowhere Happy Valley.
    I have never heard of fans complaining about a TD pass in my life. Its beyond absurd.
    And the ignore button is easy to find, I used it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The guy is a rookie. Asides from the less than one handful of rookie QBs, missing easy throws comes with the learning curve. I’m seeing improvements and upsides. Will he be a HoF QB? Probably not. Will he be a solid franchise QB? Probably. When Ben came in the league he had 5 Pro Bowlers supporting him on offense including Hines, Bettis and three studs on the OL. The situation that Pickett walked in is far from that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am merely talking about his Rookie Season. Anything else after that?! By all means.

• Like Like x 3
  11. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I agree with you, though I expect that QB rookies are going to do bad things, 10 and 20 year pros do bad things, I'm looking if he's learning, so for the 2nd half, did Pickett just collapse on his own or what adjustments were made or not made, because you knew the Bengals defense was going to adjust to what the Steelers offense and Pickett were doing. So I'll watch his growth (and growth is not linear, week to week, there will be worst games, worst plays, missed plays) and see where he is at by end of season.

Good QBs are hard to find Look at Kyler Murray, who is in his 4th season and his NFL regular season record is now 25-29-1 and his post season is 0-1. I assume Pickett would have been replaced before the 4th season. Yet, Cardinals signed Kyler to a $230 million contract, I assume based on his potential than his actual win-loss results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    He literally took a helmet to the face mask on that play.
    Despite what you and others think you saw, he could not have stepped up into the pocket as he would've been (and was after the throw) hit.
    That's also why it looked bad and like it sailed...he threw off of his back foot to avoid the hit.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    I think it got lost in person. Watch the replay, there's no way he could've stepped up as he was hit and took a helmet to the face mask on the play. Do you think he could've stepped up into this? That's why he threw it off of his back foot.

[​IMG]

14. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I knew this year was going to be a bad one but I was rather excited when we picked up trubisky. Not because he's great but because he's a serviceable starter until the chosen one could be found. Was surprised by them picking pickett to be that and shaking my head at them throwing him into this mess as a rookie. Why not let him learn a bit and start him when the teams better. Worked out good for Mahomes, rogers, rivers ect. Not everyone is a Peyton manning who can sustain those beating ls to body and confidence for years and excel later ala david carr. Maybe he will be ok but my fear is ruining him kinda like the bears did trubisky and wasting a pick. Got high hopes for kenny and only time will tell.

15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    People forget too that even Ben took a long time to get up to speed. He won a lot of games (and a lot of big games) but he was nowhere near prime Ben right away like people seem to misremember. Ben won the SB with a season where he threw for less than 200 yards a game. His INT percentage through his first four years was actually worse than what Pickett’s is currently. Ben was good because he could win the big game, not because he was a top 5 qb right away. He wasn’t even in the elite conversation statistically as a true top 5 talent in the league until 2009 and he had already won 2 Super Bowls and 6 other playoff games by then.

We just have a different team. We aren’t nearly as good as the teams Ben had early in his career. Pickett would look much better if he was asked to do less and just manage the game like Ben did at that time. Instead we are mediocre to bad and he has to basically will the offense to score by himself. We also had Ken Whizenhunt and not Matt Canada. He was never going to have a Ben rookie year.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    What's going to be the most telling for me is what adjustments he makes in the offseason, and how he works with a new OC. The growth he has in the offseason will be paramount for '23. I'd like to see continued growth this season, but I'm just not sure of it yet. I think he needs to at least have 3Q of solid ball for us to declare progress now. The first half against the Bengals was a step in the right direction though. His second half stats were horrific. I just hope the OLine improves, and the run game gets going. Those two factors will definitely help Pickett and his development the rest of this season. I really wished that when they benched Mitch that they went with Mason instead of Pickett. I really don't like how Tomlin handled any of the QB's this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Gene Steratore was on DVE this morning and said there should have been a flag on the Bengals for roughing the passer on the TD pass.
    So to all those that say Pickett should have stepped into the pass are completely wrong and have been cemented as the dumbest criticism of a player ever.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Because Adam Archuletta called it busted. It wasn't.
    Also, it allows them to dismiss a good throw and TD as a lollipop to a wide open guy. Pickens was 1 on 1 and beat his man. Pickett made a great throw as he was about to (and did) get blasted. The lengths that people will go to to sh1t on Pickett while trying to prove themselves right is comical.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Yes, and he was blaming the wrong guy.
    Adam Archuletta was a Rams Safety, Washington signed him, and he didn't do one single thing there.
    A major bust. He couldn't catch on to Gregg Williams' defense.

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Except for the scoring drives, his statistics weren't good. Do you even read this crap before you hit post reply?

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He really isn't. He is improving, though more slowly than I would like to see. We get it. You don't like his game and you lack the patience to see what happens. We see it here. We see it when you reply to Tweets that aren't even about Pickett by bashing the guy. It's getting a little odd.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Apparently you’re impressed with garbage time stats. I’m not

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The game wasn't over. If Pickens hadn't dropped the perfect ball Pickett threw, they might have scored quickly enough to give themselves an actual chance to win.

Seriously, is misleading to remove the entire first half and the final drive. You did exactly as I said, you suggested we should evaluate Pickett's performance in the game by removing every good drive and only look at what remains. Take away the scoring drives and Burrow's numbers suck, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    While I like , and agree with a lot of this....some of this is not true.
    The TD/int is definitely wrong.
    Ben only once threw more ints then tds, and that was after not only a motorcycle accident, but a appendectomy. He shouldn't have even been playing most that year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This whole thing.