1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Put the "official" board to sleep!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by rutan74, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The only way to make this board work and I mean really work, is to put the "official" board to sleep.

Nothing crazy or harmful, but someone with the ability to post should put a new thread in there saying that on "x" date, we all will no longer post on that board. If the posting stops, then it will eventually go to sleep, i.e no interest.

Those that can still post there, should encourage the non members here to get on the band wagon and move on over here! I know there is a thread there stating that this board exists and in fact that is how I managed to get here, but those that can still post, need to stop posting over there.

Hey, it was useful while it lasted, but there have been way to many complaints by me and others about board performance, features, posting, and just a general lack of ownership.

So, someone needs to really get the ball rolling and post a cut off date on the official board. Remember, there is strength in numbers and in a capitalist society, we can take our business elsewhere if we are not satisfied.

rutan

2. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    As much as I love this board...
    I still have loyalty to the "Official" board.
    Not sure why, since it isn`t even linked from the homepage anymore...
    But, I don`t see this as a "competition", between the 2. (Cause if it was, this would win hands down) :roflmao: :drinks:
    I am just glad to know that there is a place we can still talk, when the original board, inevitably goes down in flames...
    (Thanx Towel :good: )
    I`m just not gonna help that happen, tho...
    I`m pretty sure it will, on it`s own accord. :(

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Hey rutan,

Welcome aboard man, I'm glad you found us. :-D I love your enthusiasm, I really do, and I'm glad you like this place, but I have to strongly urge against that. I really don't want anybody to push anyone there into coming here. That place has been my morning cup of coffee for years, as it is to others, and it just feels like bad karma to try to drive people away. The turnout here is much greater than I expected, and I really feel uncomfortable with anyone forcing the issue to come here. If people want to have a backup for the pending demise there, this place will be there for them when they feel ready.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Yes, nothing forceful at all, just polite reminders on how great it is over here. I see more and more old names coming in. I suspect that anyone that can post in both places will continue to do so. Eventually people will be tired of the B.S. on the other board or it will just be shut down completely and then everyone will finally be here. :yahoo:

5. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Look, there is no ill-will here.

I have been a member of the "official" board for years too, but since the Steelers are not paying me, I really could care less if it continues or fails. I participate because I no longer live in Western Pa and this is a conduit to gauge what is going on there. Although I love the Steelers, I'm really not going to hang around a place that really does not want me there. What's the point?

Since for some reason, I can no longer post there, it only reinforces the ineptitude of its moderators. Secondly, it further shows that the organization places no real value on the message board. In other words, they can take it or leave it.

The real issue is that there are numerous people that love the Steelers and want to participate. For whatever reason, the official board does not present that opportunity.

Given that, it's time to pack backs and move on. Again, no ill-will to the official board, but the idea is to get more people posting here. More input and you get better discussions. More exchange of ideas and comments. The last 2 weeks I have wanted to reply plenty but for some reason, I am unable. I read the Post everyday, but I go to the board for reactions and comments and to POST!

In time, the official board will die on the vine. We are only speeding up the end of life cycle. There is nothing wrong with that.

Personally, there is nothing on the official board that is not here, so why put up with all the crap there? Loyalty works both ways, at least for me.

rutan

6. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well said :thumbsup:
    All I miss from there is the people. Sure wish that they'd come on over.

7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    All we have to do - those of us who can still post over there that is - is keep reminding people how awesome it is here.

A great step would be to link this place on game day with THIS board's official game thread. I don't know about many of you, but a lot of us loved those game threads. Since the board went belly up, those threads have gotten stale and lackluster.

Just subtly mention this place every chance you get. not just on the O-Board thread promoting it, but in any thread you post on. Put it in your sig (if you can), or just mimic a sig.

If we can get guys like Steel Hack and the old guard over here, the rest will follow.

8. kwebste6

kwebste6 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ive been reading SteelHack posts for a long time. I hope we can get him to come to this website. He seems to know a whole lot about football. Kind of a Hall of Fame type messenger.

9. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    SteelHack is one of many.
    macdaddyo, TheStallworthSwann, Deljzc, Diamond, GrannieBurgh, Ghostwriter amongst others have been there for a long time. Not to mention some that don't come around anymore like Machiavelli, Vrabinec, Hillbillybiker and others. Heck, I saw Steelballz on this site earlier. That's a blast from the past. I've been on that board, hmm, got to be almost 10 years now. I sure miss some of the old-timers.

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the first time I joined (I think it was 2002), there was a chat room as well as a messageboard. How the Steelers embraced the world of technology back then!

Vrabinec used to do the training camp reports, right? Those were awesome.

11. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, Vrabinec did some pretty in depth Training Camp reports. Those reports were like my drug before the season got underway. I think that he actually made a cameo a couple of years ago for a week or so.

Anybody else remember some of the old-timers that I may be forgetting? I know a couple of them left to try to do what TTF has done here.

12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have been struggling with posting on the so-called official board for years.Have posted over 8,000 post there.Over the years I have had to start over 4 times.The latest,every time I log in, the index forum popped up.So I had no chance to even complain.Frustrating to say the least.With all the restrictions, it made it tedious.Thank you for coming up with this board and don't worry we will grow, because there are more fans that can't log on the "so called official board' that can so like myself they will come running and will be very appreciative.

13. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I've officially moved off the other board. Took it out of my bookmarks. I'm here for good.

14. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No need to put it to sleep. I'm pretty sure it's going to die a natural death on it's own before too long. The average person can only deal with that kind of frustration and insanity for so long before they've simply had enough. I think the "Official" board is "Officially" on the last nerve of many of us who are still members there.

15. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    When the Official Steelers site took the forum link off it's main page, that was enough for me to believe that they don't want to be affiliated with it any longer as well. :dancing:

16. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I've been checking in from time to time over there. It seems that "our board" The Official Steelers Fan MB is averaging between 6-12 Posters at any given time throughout the day. The Officially "outdated and neglected" MB has been a Ghosttown.

It's just a matter of time before we see that board go up in flames. Or should I say fizzle into irrelevancy?

If I could find my PM button over there :roll: , I'd be writing some of the guys and gals to get the word out.

17. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, that was the tell tale sign for me as well. Actually to get technical about it if the Steeler main site no longer provides a link to the board it's pretty hard to even consider it the team's "Offical" MB anymore. It truly is a shame that the organization sees no value in offering a decent message board to their fans when most of the other NFL teams do see the value in it :-(

18. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Agreed. How "official" is it if there isn't even a way to get to it from the "official" steeler website site. I thought it may have been taken down during the strike but since it never was put back, seems like the team wasn't sanctioning it any longer. Maybe just as well; might feel a little more free to speak out now. Always felt like the principal (aka mod) was going to drag me off to his office if I said something he didn't like. Actually that is what happened.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, just another quirk of that board, I can pm people but only if they are online :banghead:

20. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I just PM'd SteelByDesign, mac daddyo, freakfontana, Traceman and WardisMVP. Hopefully we'll be seeing them before too long.

I can't remember all of the old-timers. Give me some suggestions and I'll go PM them before I get banned. :grin:

21. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    LOL. I doubt you'll get banned as nobody is watching that place. Post whatever you want to.

Actually, that would be an interesting experiment. Maybe make a post titled to those guys. ;)

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I have a PM button but no submit button. I can see the submit button is in the page source code but no matter where I put my mouse I never have any ability to click it. Someone suggested hitting enter outside the text box but that does not work either. I tried three different browsers and it never made a bit of difference. Seems I have been put on " read only" haha.

Its a shame and as someone here mentioned in another post the Steelers organization should be fackin embarrassed to put that site up and call it a site worthy of even vistiing. If there was a dollar sign behind it I am sure there would be some interest in fixing it .

I got desperate and tweeted Ryan Clark and TP about the board but never heard back and I suppose in retrospect why on earth would the give a rats ass ( got away with ass lol ) :lolol:

I am thoroughly disgusted nothing has ever been done .. VERY VERY thankful that Terrible Towel took the lead on this and put up a board for us.

Bman

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think I sent you a page actually! It's not even a matter of missing buttons for me, I can't post at all. When I log in it just takes me back to the index forum, I wonder if I was banned or just the board being sucky as usual. Before all this went down I used to have to sign out and back in every time I wanted to post, which really sucks on game day threads, miss half the game :doh: I'm so looking forward to being able to participate on game day like it's intended to be :clapping:

24. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Got in contact with Hack. Sounds like he's going to check it out.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Saw your post over there, I'm surprised those people you pm haven't already come over, it's dead over there and you need to jump through hoops to post anything. :wizard:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.