1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pulling Guards/ Pats at it again

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Dec 15, 2016.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am just a bit peeved after watching what Finney was able to do pulling ..I have been a move Pouncey to Guard guy for a long time..I got a lot of you must be crazy,why would you do that,no good coach would ever do that,etc,etc...Now after watching the tape again and comparing Pouncey to Finney I have no doubt that the Steelers should have moved Pouncey to Guard a long time ago.....

In today's NFL it is very hard to pull the Center, it is also where Teams like to beef up and push the center , with the style of Pouncey he is and has always been best suited to play Guard ..We have had more than a few Centers that have played well when Pouncey was out and should have took that time when he came back to put him at OG ...

I have always loved a Big,Quick,Big,Quick,Big style OL meaning Big Tackles and Big at Center with faster open space guys at Guard..The reason is simple now you can run both ways which opens the playbook wide open and allows for more PA passes..

I was working on this thread when I saw the Pats just signed Floyd , I was getting ready to start a thread on that , but the Pats always seem to get what they need and get it quickly...With the poor play of our other WR'S I hope the Steelers didn't pass on him , but the Pats beat them to the punch...If not it was a mistake by KC ....

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'll take the wait and see approach on Floyd, seems there may be more going on than just a DUI. Arizona has taken some questionable picks in the past (Nkemdiche as of last year for example) so its hard for me to see them releasing him for that. 30 teams passed on him, it was just NE and Dallas from what I've read.

3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am sure he had problems with someone on the staff, players or both ,but with Wheaton out,DHB out, Coates all but out we should have been front runners for a solid WR even if only for just a post season run....

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    In short, you're wrong about Pouncey.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No way the tape shows he is more mobile than Finney..The tape shows Finney is much more mobile than Foster, as a result we could pull both ways ...To me the questions are simple ..#1. Is Pouncey strong enough to take on big NT'S ? #2 Is Pouncey a better blocker in space or heads up ? #3. Is Finney better than Pouncey in space ?

So if you answer those the way the tape shows it is clear Pouncey has more Team value as a Guard .....

• Like Like x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Pouncey is not moving to guard. Move on.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You kind of in a round about way made a case to keep him at center. It's hard to find a center that can pull the way he does so why would you move him when it's easier to find a guard who can pull.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats signed Floyd only to get a comp pick when he leaves as a free agent in a couple months.

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Because you can't pull Centers as much as you could in the past ..The faster DL and LB'S will tear the A gap up and run the RB down from behind ..So it is in no way easy to find a good pulling OG ..We found a great 1 in DD and have been running behind him every since ..We pulled the OG'S more last game than Pouncey has pulled in multiple seasons combined ..

Pouncey does combo block and get to the next level a lot , but rarely pulls to the edge ...With AB at WR less people to block on the edge so getting the patient runner on the edge is better for the runner and being able to go to both edges is better for the Team ....

10. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    One pouncey is considered one of the best centers in the league, so i dont think they will move him. Two, We have our own issues at wr ...with Bryant... Why bring in another?Green,Coates, Rogers,Hamilton, and now Ayers ...all providing a threat...Brown can start delivering again. Let alone Bell, DWill, Jessie"bang bang" James producing at the wr spot

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe Pouncey would be a great guard maybe not but he is already a great center and there is no one on the team that can come close to what he gives at that position.

Your suggestion is still crazy ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Mobility is still a big deal with centers too. Pouncey is asked to get to the second level to take on line backers all the time. He gets asked to pull from the center position too. I don't see why there is any need to move him to guard. I like what we've got going on at G. DD has stabilized his play a bit and Foster is still a quality G. Finney showed what he is capable of and Hubbard has proven to be a quality fill in guy at both G and T... don't mess with something that's going pretty well for us right now

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    with two mobile guards, pouncey is even more valuable at center. hamilton is also a very good blocking wr that has helped the run game if you haven't noticed. using hubbard as another TE has helped the run game too.

there are different ways to make the run game work than just pulling a guard from each side. i never did think ramon was a great fit with the other 4 mobile linemen that we have. finney made it 5 mobile guys now with hubbard as the new and additional TE and hamilton quite useful as a blocker on the edge we can run either way or the middle better.

bell runs well with these guys because of his quickness, patients and vision. these guys don't need to sustain blocks for a long period of time with him and to add to that they only need to hit targets long enough for him to make a cut. thats what they're mobility brings and it works with his style. they don't have to mull people just stick and move. finney gives us a better chance and makes pouncey a better center than ramon does. i like ramon and he's played better this year but he's just not a good mobility player and it limits things they want to do.

as far as the other wr's doing more, ben has to look their way more. he gets locked in on bell and AB and now green. hamilton and rogers are also good weapons he needs to utilize more which opens up the big 3. if ben would make defenses account for those two more often it would give defenses fits. especially baltimore that shuts down bell and AB with extra coverage. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Floyd is a 2012 1st round pick who has had a 1000 yard season, he has talent and every player here especially fitzgerald loves him like a brother, fitz gave him a resounding recomendation to belichick, floyd will do well with the pats, he just needed to get away from Arians, I expect the pats will resign him in the off season.....

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He has talent, but has been very inconsistent his whole career. He may pan out with the Pats, but even if he doesn't, the Pats will get a comp pick as a result. I wish we had picked him up just for the comp pick

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't understand the part about being more valuable at Center because of mobile Guards ? The more we pull those Guards the Stronger the Center need be to stop penetration so the Guards can pull...I think the lack of footing kept Defenders from powering over Pouncey and running Bell down from behind ...

The Center needs to be strong esp. against 3-4 Teams and Teams with big strong NT'S ...The Rats always kill our run and the reason is they blast Pouncey into the backfield and cut off the angles needed for the Guards to pull. A stronger Center and we could run on the Rats and everyone else anytime we want to.....

17. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah... Arians coolness!!! is wearing off now that the Cards are basically belly up this season and not going to have a winning record. Arians trys to hard to be the cool coach more worried about his image and it's starting to not be so cool. Palmer is nothing more than a regular season QB that is past his prime. Cards have no luck drafting QB ala Matt Leinart "bust"

18. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Totally Spot On!:applaud:

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

And now he has turned the players against him for cutting floyd, they are now thinking 1 mistake and they get thrown under the bus, fitzgerald and palmer are mad as hell over this turn of events, including the local beat writers....

20. STEELWARRIOR

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeap!!! and this should push Larry out the door into retirement or to another team.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Maybe Haley works some offseason magic

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. STEELWARRIOR

Oct 26, 2011
    As a fan of Football I hate the Patriots not because their the Patriots, but because they seem to always be in the mix every year trying to win another Lombardi and sometimes they push the rules in that effort and "cheat/ buck" the system along with their attitude and arrogance. They seem to rise up out of any adverse situation and be succesful. Really surprised the NFL hasn't anointed them as America's Team already. If they win another Superbowl that very well may happen.

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow, all the more reason KC should have got Floyd ...We needed the experience and now another weapon given to the damn Pats ...I would have took him just so another rival couldn't ...I can see it now he will probably catch the game winner over us to knock us out of the post season and launch the Pats to SB victory ...

24. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I actually agree with you.

But Pouncey plays center better than any other in this league. He could be the best guard ever if he were moved but you don't do it if you don't have a sure thing behind him. I mean a really sure thing.

Also Munchak will continue to do what he does if he isnt poached. The OL is and will be fine.

Also, doesnt Pouncey get a say in this?

Its like... not necessary, whether or not it looks good on paper.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have a guy in mind ..Ethan Pocic 6--6 315 or so now I think...Probably going early in the 2nd. he has the frame to add more weight and the Arm length to control those A gaps ..