1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

PSL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by GOAT, Apr 15, 2015.

1. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Dude, an 11-5 season with a div. championship, and you couldn't bare to watch? What were you like the two previous seasons? Suicidal?

The first half of the season had brutal moments (losses to Browns, Bucs and Jets, near losses to Jags, TN) but down the stretch they were playing great ball, especially on offense. Any year were we have double digit wins and a div. title is certainly watchable.

2. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    I will say again, having to either attend or sell the tix for every game became a job, and I already had one of those.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I could understand that if we are talking baseball/hockey/basketball but not football. It's 8 games, how is that a burden? Even if you only make 5 of them, thats 3 tickets you have to sell. I'd gladly have that problem.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You gave up the wrong job.

5. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    lol...true true

6. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    This falls into the realm of personal preferences. I also lived 2.5 hours away, so that didn't help. Many people would say, "So what? I could easily drive 2.5 hours for just 8 weeks," but, overall, it was far more of a chore than a convenience. Scalping when I can make it is way more of a convenience to me. Whatever floats your boat. Those season tickets didn't float mine. I think a lot of fans believe you are $ ahead if you can get season tickets. That is far, far from the truth, and then you add the PSL ticket...........eeee gads. Even if I lived in Pgh, that would never make economic sense whatsoever. I am actually not up for going to that many games. I prefer the comfort of my home and 70" 1080 HD tv. I actually find tailgating and all that boring if I do it more than once a year.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I got mine from Alco Parking when I first bought my PSL. An offer just showed up in the mail. With all of the new construction, there may not be any left.

http://www.alcoparking.com/heinz-field-pnc-park

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Distance I get, I used to travel about an hour and 15 minutes to go to baseball games, bad traffic where I live too so that part sucked, 2.5 hours I wouldn't do.

I'm talking about living close by though, I'd go to 8 games easy.

9. GOAT

GOAT Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    thanks for all the info. I might make and offer in sec 220 see what happens

10. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You say that, but if you actually had to do it for 5, 6, 7 or more years it would grow burdensome. The novelty wears off. Especially if you've got a family and you're juggling not only work, but kids, their activities, yard work, house work, etc. A 1 o'clock game literally eats an entire day when you factor in drive time, parking, getting something to eat pregame, the game, getting something to eat post game, and the drive home. You can easily leave your house at 10 am and not get home until 7 and by then you're too out of gas to do anything productive. You've just spent an ENTIRE day on a football game.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I know all about it, had a partial ticket plan and went to 15 baseball games a year for 12 years.

12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Different animal. Until recently, the Pirates averaged around 1/3 the attendance per game as the Steelers (Yankees 2/3, Mets 1/2). Moving people in and out of a stadium and the surrounding areas is a hell of a lot easier. Also until very recently the average length of a baseball game was about 30 minutes less than a football game. Then there's the fact that baseball games occur on every single day of the week so it's much easier to plan on going to games around your schedule. The majority of football games are Sunday afternoon. The few that aren't don't start to until 8:30. The majority of weekday baseball games start an hour and a half before that and are 1/2 over before the average prime time football game starts. Then there is the weather factor....

Bottom line is that football games are events, Big events, and are much more difficult to attend on a regular basis.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL, have you ever had to deal with the Bronx? Or deal with traffic in NY in general.

The game I attended at Heinz was not difficult. Maybe I got lucky.

Also, when I was attending games, they were routinely sold out, 57,500. it wasn't until they opened up the new stadium that attendance dropped, that's about 10 years at the old stadium of full capacity which was heck of a lot harder getting in and out of then the new Stadium. Still had to deal with the same traffic though.

In comparison, Heinz holds 65,000. Not a big difference.

Average length of a baseball game: 3hrs 5min
    Average length of a football game: 3hrs 12min

My games took place on Saturday, it was an all day event, I'm not seeing the difference. I paid for something, I made time to go. By the end, I was jumping through a lot of hoops to pull it off, ultimately that and just tired of doing it for so long led to me stopping.

14. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I agree with this. I've not missed a game I've wanted to go to, including playoffs. And paid close to face for every ticket. I've had the opportunity to have season tix and declined. I love game day, but am not interested in being at the stadium 8 weeks a year. You also have the preseason tix you must buy, that no one wants to buy in the secondary market. So, consider those two game tix a sunk cost...at regular season prices.

But hell, if you're into it man, buy the tix and have a blast!!

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    My wife and I had Steeler tickets, 1/3 of a hockey season ticket and a flex plan for baseball. That added up to about 45 games a year. That was a bit excessive but we lived and worked near the stadiums. And we were younger. When Heinz field opened, we upgraded to club seats which are pricy and moved an hour farther away. Now we are down to just the Steeler games. Going to only that now seems easy. I guess it's all relative.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. When I go to hockey games, the difference is night and day. I live 30 minutes from the Coliseum, talking 18,000 capacity, it's a breeze. The only thing that sucks about that is it can take forever getting out of the parking lot.

17. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    That's why I say whatever your personal preference is, go for it. A guy on another board had a 6 hour drive each way and he was still going to every game. I would do that once a year, at most. What you outlined is 100% true, even living nearby. And, yes, the novelty does wear off. Not to mention, the hole it burns in you wallet, even if the tickets were reasonable (and they're not). And try having to leave at 6 AM to get to a 1 PM game. And getting home at 9-10. Even in my 20's it was just too much. I love the Steelers, but they aren't a collection of gods. Our afterlives will not be impacted by worshiping them. Short of that, committing to 8 games is too much. It becomes more of a job than a fun time.

On an aside, do any of you still do the marathon tailgate thing? We are done doing that as well. Give me 90 minutes to hang, have some pops and a burger. That's all I need. The days of 4-6 hour tailgating are over for me. It's just boring doing it that long.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Again, to each his own. The guy who sits next to me drives down from Toronto. Although, he does stay over night.

19. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm on the waiting list. Got on in 2004. But, it's a dumb thing, I probably won't ever see a PSL without buying one.
    That being said scalping or buying online isn't terrible, you can go to the games you want, sit different places.
    I've been fortunate enough to see a game from a Luxury Box Suite, Club level, Upper level nose bleed, lower level upper level, field level, I even got to sit in the legends club this past year. So, by not having a PSL you get to sit lots of different places.

20. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Really? So can I pay my mortgage by going to Steeler games? Show me how that works.

21. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Good for him. That is his personal preference, which you note. Some people choose to have their sports team be their top priority in life (Ever see the movie, "Celtic Pride?" Some people are obviously extreme about their team.) If I lived to see the Steelers live, I would have never have moved to FL, which happened to be the best thing we ever did. I can't imagine still living in western PA just to go to Steeler games. That is loco in my world.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There are about a thousand hits on this thread and you are the only person who did not take my comment as the joke that t was. Did someone pee in your Cheerios?

23. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    maybe someone ate all the marshmEllows out of the Lucky Charms

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What did you decide?

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hate when that happens.