1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Proud of the way the Steelers played today, but a loss is a loss.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Oct 23, 2016.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    How many of us thought the game would have been that close?

I thought we'd lose by 30 with how banged up we are.

The victory would have been sweet but...........

We'll get em next time up in NE!!!!!!!:herewego!:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree, 86. I was pleasantly surprised by the team today. They fell apart there at the end due mostly to bad coaching decisions, but overall, they showed a lot of effort. They came out swinging and never gave up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    well said, though remember that historically, make the Steelers a big underdog, especially at home, they generally rise to the occasion.

Tell you what- hold the Pats to 27 again in January, and we can win.

Also tell you what- we are missing Heyward right now more than Ben, as heretical as that seems.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    I'm kind of in between. I thought they looked mostly bad out there today, but then on the other hand they only lost 27-16 and I thought it would be 48-0. So in that regard I think they played a great game!

Our D is atrocious. It was 28th in the league at the start of this game and it might have gotten worse. Let's comprehend that. Only FOUR other teams in the entire NFL have a worse defense then the Steelers. They say, and stats back it up, that defense wins championships so if we want the Steelers to win one this year they better get a whole hell of a lot better on D and quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    The AFC North is the Steelers to take

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I would not get too confident with this statement. This is the upgraded form of a Ravens team that swept Pittsburgh last year.

Realistically, this division can be lost as easily as it can be won. For Pittsburgh to reach the playoffs, they will have to sweep their division considering the Cowboys and Giants are not cupcake teams. Add in the Buffalo Bills.. and Pittsburgh has quite a bit of stuff competition on the way.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Cincy and Baltimore have the same schedule.

8. SteelersForLife

SteelersForLife Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    I feel good about that game

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    A hobbled Shazier and no Heyward = New England scores less than 30?

I would have accepted this outcome either way given the monumental tasks. However.. given the state of that game... two premonitions of mine came into fruition;

1.) We are seeing that this Bill Belichek led squad is by far his weakest variation given the lack of fundementals early on; sometimes even in the second half.

2.) Tom Brady, to me, is "seeing the light" more and more. Granted... it was the LaGarrtte Blount show.. but for Tom Brady to post less than 300 yards? Overthrowing a receiver deep? Quite odd indeed. I am not saying he is done... but you can clearly see "Father Time's Sting" is starting to take effect.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If the Ravens are upgraded from last season then I can't tell, they have lost 4 straight and struggle to score.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason this division is up for grabs. Baltimore swept Pittsburgh last year. The Baltimore game coming up is going to have massive implications for this division whether some believe it to be or not.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yet they swept Pittsburgh with an inferior team from a year ago. Furthermore, when I said "upgraded" I meant from the Steelers facing them a year ago to what they are now in terms of their personnel (i.e. Perriman, Stanley, etc.).

Add the fact that this game coming up is, yet again, going up against an inferior opponent, a certain narrative called "playing down to the level of the competition" has haunted this team thus far this season.

If anything is guaranteed, the classic narrative of "Any Given Sunday" is.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Some Steelers fans need to get over that superiority complex, acting like other teams are trash and the Steelers are elite. Look at Miami they beat a hot Buffalo team this week, and their RB again got 200 yards rushing.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I agree. Even then a year ago, against the Ravens, such a thought was erased. If there is something that upsets the Ravens... it is a player wearing Black and Gold.

More often than not, as we have witnessed, the Ravens often play their best football against the Steelers. Against other teams, fundementals and execution are often the winners given the fact that any team can really beat any team.

15. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    The Steelers are the best team in the division. Period. Whether or not they meet their potential is another matter. That's why the division is the Steelers' to take if they just play as well as we know they can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    I've been calling for a close game/better effort all week. We get up for games like this. Coaches prepare harder because they fear losing more than they do to bad teams. Players take more pride on national TV, against the so-called best.

Alas, we'll see more games like Miami this year, too. This is an inconsistent, up and down team. It's in their DNA.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    NE scored 27 and they were sloppy, if not for dropped passes (again) and general poor play it would have been bad. I guess I watched a different game but seeing the Steelers only 1 score down and then watching the Pats go down field and score a TD like it was practice really opened my eyes to how bad this game could have been. They played slightly better than they did against Miami but not much better than that I'm sorry to say. The offense is bad under Jones and the defense is bad, no depth on the DL and the secondary is just a mess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Can't help but to think that if we had Belincheat as head coach for that game, we would of won.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We're 14th in points allowed per game. That's way more relevant that the misleading yards/game stats. We're an average NFL defense, and that's with a handful of key injuries on defense affecting us through most of those games. It's just flat out not as bad as some make it out to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Just seem like the Patriots were playing with us. I think if wasn't for the respect of the organization and Tomlin they could have blew us out. It seem they could have easily went for it on some of the short yardage opportunities because I could see out defense stopping them

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    sorry but that is beyond ridiculous to think that.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Out of interest - genuinely out of interest - what would you see the difference being between:

a) NE being sloppy and showing on one drive how bad it 'could have been', and

b) NE being kept in check by a defense and unable to execute their usual dominance?

23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think we all had very low expectations. Bad part was, the Patriots made lots of mistakes and we didn't take advantage. Getting ZERO points from two takeaways, both being at mid-field to new england territory, is completely unacceptable, even with Landry Jones at the helm.

The false starts, illegal procedure, and holding penalties also unacceptable. They are drive killers. Especially when you below 100% healthy and have a back up QB. We had this game tied at 14-14, until a holding call brought back the second Heyward-Bey touchdown. As for the offensive of pass interference penalties, I think one was legit, the other was ticky tack.

Mike Tomlin, has to know better than attempt a 54 yarder. Go for it on 4th and 3. Also, With 5:43 to go, don't punt the ball away. I know it was 4th and 13. But your not getting that back twice, under six minutes, when your playing new england.

Landry also needs to be a better clock manager, get the darn play off. You don't need to help out the other team any more than need be and you need to have your timeouts!!!

We need Sammie Coates, and I hope his finger gets better. This guy is difference in winning and losing. Games where Sammie shows up big, we usually win, when he doesn't, we usually lose.

Tip of the hat to Cobi Hamilton, he played good, Tip of the hat to Jarvis Jones.

I just appreciate the Jets beating the Ravens. AFC north is shaping up to be a bad division this year. We still have a one game lead. But, we need to beat them after the bye week. It will say a lot for where this season is headed.

24. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    It's not going to get better if they keep playing him before it has a chance to heal.

25. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe. But it just seem it was men among boys out there.