1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Prospects you Pimped but Flopped

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 6, 2016.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yea, my bad 6. good catch. :smiley1::cool:

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree about the ravens thingy chief. me too. i really hate that. :lolol::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was a big John Simon fan, he went to the Ravens too. At least hes on Houston now, so if he ends up good, won't be as painful :ratbirds:

• Like Like x 1
  4. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    These are great! I am finding myself agreeing with a lot of these.. especially the CB and S picks

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah the more I read and the more I look at the guys I liked I don't want the Steelers to listen to us...lmao.:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was OK on Vacarro, but I really liked Jonathan Cyprien who ended up going to the Jags. According to CBS and rotoworld, Cyprien has had some troubles with missed tackles and pass coverage so they plan to use him more in the box. Vacarro had a good year in 2015 after a bad injury plagued 2014. They played him more in the box last year too.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That was him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I wanted Jimmie Ward

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't want to toot my own horn, but I was high on Hines Ward...just sayin'

I have a hard time remembering names as it is, to try to remember guys that didn't pan out.

I was high on Blanchflower though. For some reason we got to see a bunch of those games on AFN when he played.

Too early to say he's busted, not for on the field performance, but off the field issues. (Martavis Bryant) Thought he had the higher upside of the two at Clemson.

Can I say a guy that didn't get drafted? Major Applewhite? Given a shot by NE but quit to finish his degree and take up coaching. I thought he could be another Jim Kelly.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  10. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Justin Gilbert is the one that was my biggest bust, I really really pimped him as our #1, I also liked Calvin Pryor. I was stoked we got Adams in the 2nd, just where I knew he would go, thought he was a 1st rd talent.

Gerrod Holiman was somebody I also wanted in the early mid rds..... ( 3rd ) and thought we stole him in the 7th. I thought we could fix his issues with tackling and he is the main reason I wouldn't draft Darin Thompson before the 4th rd.

Cajun

11. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I really liked the Notre Dame NT that came out the same year as Tuitt (can't remember his name). I was so mad that he ended up going to Houston with our third round pick that we threw away in the trade-up for Shamarko debacle. So mad. Now I'm not even sure he's still in the league lol.

Also really liked a guard from Stanford last year or the year before. I thought we were foolish not to draft him in the 2nd... he went to Minnesota in the 5th. :facepalm:

12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I LOVED Gilbert too, cajun. Thought he'd be the next Patrick Robinson with his coverage and return skills. In our defense, we didn't know he was a drunk.

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    adam carriker

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Monstrous difference between Holliman's tackling issues and Thompson's. Holliman avoided contact, while Thompson gets too out of control trying for the big hit. It's easier to pull a guy's aggressiveness back a bit to improve his tackling than trying to get a guy to like contact at the NFL level when he's avoided contact like the plague in college.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I agree... Thompson is a better NFL safety prospect than Holiman who was a 7th rd pick.... How much better still to be determined but I doubt it'll be 5 rds better

Cajun

16. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    This exactly. Holliman was afraid of contact and clearly not an NFL safety. Thompson's missed tackles last year were mostly due to overly aggressive torpedo, big hit types of plays. Not even apples to oranges.

I didn't vote, so my say made no difference, but my concerns of his missed tackles are small. I don't think where Holliman was actually picked is a good reference point considering so many people thought he'd go in the third. He's an all around better safety and is scheme versatile. I don't think he's a reach in the late 2nd early 3rd.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I still think Carriker could have been great. Maybe not quite JJ Watt great but close.

Unfortunately injuries completely derailed his career as well as the Rams using him improperly early on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Yep, I think he'd have flourished in an odd front. Always thought it weird that a 4-3 team drafted him so high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Louis Nix?? and David Yankey??

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Those of us from the old Steelers.com message board know him as A(Bad Word) Carriker....

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    It's amazing how often players are acquired to play something totally different from what they've had success with, or coaches come in and impose their scheme without regard to the personnel in place (see Rex Ryan in Buffalo last season). The way Carriker was misused early in his career was a shame. It's like the Rams read a scouting report that said he's a great lineman but never watched college tape to see why he was great.

22. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I thought we hit the lottery with Dennis Dixon, and Don't even get me started on limas sweed

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Dixon! lol That is crazy.

24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    That's them all right. Thanks, turtle.

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    There was a lot of discussion about Nix that year on another forum I was on. It kinda faded down the stretch as the knee injury became a concern. He's on the NY Giants reserve/future list now.