1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Prospects you Pimped but Flopped

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 6, 2016.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Anyone who has followed my posts over the years knows that I probably get more excited for the draft than the season itself.

It got me thinking to all the players I loved in the past. Some made it. Some didn't. Anyone have any memorable prospects they were trying to sell to the world that just didn't pan out?

2 immediately come to mind.

The first draft I ever scouted in detail was the '05. One prospect I loved who I thought was going to be a star was Safety Ernest Shazor from Michigan. This guy was Kam Chancellor before there was a Kam Chancellor. 6'4 230 who was ultra productive.

I remember a wise poster back in those days on the old steelers.Com board (TheStallworthSwann) wasn't quite as bullish on Shazor as I. I bet him Shazor would be a 1st round pick. Not only did TSS think Shazor wouldn't go in the 1st round he didn't think he would be drafted at all. And he was right.

This incident really changed the way I scouted players. Back then I was just going by my own eyes and workout results. It taught me to get more opinions from varying sources and use more of a statistical analysis process.

As a side note to the '05 draft, I wanted the Steelers to draft CB Justin Miller instead of Heath Miller! :facepalm::shrug:

Another big miss I had was in 2009 when I went all in on the 3-4 DE Jarron Gilbert. I thought he was a sure fire stud 1st round pick. I watched as much tape of him as I could. I had never seen a big man move across the LoS like he could. He had great athleticism and brute strength. Unfortunately I was fooled bigtime.

I failed to realize he was just beating up on inferior opponents and that his workout numbers were quite artificial and meaningless.

We all have or misses and we all have our hits. One thing is for sure, it's alot of fun!

• Like Like x 1
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    :th thgoodpost:

I'll have to look back at some previous drafts and comment, I know there's tons lol.

3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I've hit more home runs then bunts, but I'll never live down the day I called time Tebow the next boomer esiason

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Back in 2010, I was torn between guard Mike Iupati and cb Kyle Wilson from Boise. I think I was leaning towards Wilson, which ended up being a flop for the NY Jets. Iupati turned out good.

Also a WR in the middle rounds was Marty Gilyard out of Cincinnati. Loved his KO return ability. Don't think he ended up doing much with the Rams.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If we're all honest about it, we'll all have our share. A few in recent years that pop into mind for me:

1. Justin Gilbert - I thought that the Browns over drafted him in the top 10, but I felt he would be well worth our pick in the teens that year. Right now, I wonder if he was actually even worth a 7th rounder.

2. The jury is still out, but I thought Jeremiah Attaochu was going to be Terrell Suggs minus the thug. He started last year and had 6 sacks, but is hardly a dominant player at this juncture.

3. I really wanted Bryan Bulaga over Maurkice Pouncey. He's been good enough that the Packers gave him a $7 mil/yr extension, but he's not a pro bowl talent.

4. I thought Mike Adams had the potential to be an adequate starting NFL left tackle if he got his head on straight. We'll just leave it that...

On the flip side, a pick that I really didn't like that's turned out well is Marcus Gilbert. I saw nothing to like when I watched his college film. I was evaluating him as a LT candidate because we had a need there, but I didn't even see RT capability there at the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin is the guy who immediately comes to mind.

Back when the state of our OL was like our current CB group, I think I was set on drafting an OL no matter what. Konz went 2nd round to ATL but majorly flopped.

7. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    This is going to be fun....

I had Cornellius "Tank" Carradine as the most talented pass rusher in the 2013 draft. So, looks like I was wrong about Tank... but totally right about the bust laden top rated pass rushers (Dion Jordan, Jarvis Jones, Barkevious Mingo).

I had Morris Claiborne (2012) as the best CB prospect since Revis in 08.

In 2011, Gabe Carimi was my #1 OT prospect

I was beside myself when we drafted Rashard Mendenhall over James Hardy... but was relieved when we took Limas Sweed

Matt Leinart was #2 on my board in 2006

I was pissed that we took Heath Miller over Brodney Pool in 2005

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Oh... I got fooled by Leinart as well. I thought he was the most Day 1 pro ready QB prospect to come out in years. Not so much...

Your mention of Dion Jordan jogged my memory. I didn't like him as a top 10 talent, but felt that he had mid 1st round talent. Thank god for the rest of the league Jeff Ireland swooped in to grab him at #3.

9. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I was convinced Taylor Mays was going to be the next Troy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I was also very high on Kyle Wilson. I thought the Jets was the perfect situation for him too. Surprised he didn't make the cut.

11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I would be guilty on that one too. Even though he still is in the league I had very high hopes for Kraig Urbik too. Was ecstatic when we drafted him but things didn't work out. Actually surprised how few Badger O-linemen transition well to the NFL since they are so dominant in college.

12. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    :lolol:
    I'm a big Badgers fan but even I knew Carimi did not have what it takes. Too tall and nowhere near strong enough.

13. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I also had dee milliner as the closest thing to mel blount in a generation

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    jason elam, but his has been more injury related than anything. i thought shamarko would be better than he has. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Aaron Curry anyone? Supposedly one of the"safest" prospects in recent memory.

• Like Like x 2
  16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think I might have been pretty high on Greg Holliman, but I am not sure........:shrug:

Also I was very high on Justin Ellis a couple years ago. I am sure if I go back thru the draft there probably more. I am getting old hard to remember my name never mind past drafts, lol.

17. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I definitely had Holliman pegged as a day 2 pick. Thought he was the steal of the draft in the 7th. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Going thru the 2013 draft, I liked Trufant and Hopkins the best but, I really thought Margus Hunt and Bjoern Werner were going to be good ones:icon e surprised:

And Aaron Dobson was a fav at WR. He had a one handed grab for a TD while at Marshall that was spectacular. And I didn't like Keenan Allen lol.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben Koyack, TE out of ND. Too early to grade his pro career, he currently is on the Jaguars.

I thought he would have been drafted by the 3rd rd but didn't go until the 7th :blush:

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think you mean Matt Elam.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I was pimping Justin Gilbert to the Steelers big time, glad the Browns took him instead.

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I liked Arthur Jones a few years back. I thought he'd have a solid career. I also liked Brent Urban as a mid-round sleeper. I'm weirdly good at accidentally mocking for the Ravens. Thought Mike Adams was going to be a solid contributor...

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I usually don't get too geeked about prospects, but there are a few recently that I've been really high on.

Marquis Lee - too hurt to tell, but big disappointment so far. I thought he could be special
    Landon Collins - still early, but I thought he'd be a great fit for us. Smart enough to play deep half with good angles, great in the box, and a solid ball hawk too. I think he will be a quality starting SS for a decade.
    Le'Veon Bell - I was mainly high on him because he's from Columbus and he's a big ten guy. Never envisioned what he has become. People I know who know him say he's a great kid. Hard not to like him.

I hated Kelvin Benjamin and he had a great first season. Wasn't a fan of the Dupree pick but he has surprised.

I usually pimp buckeye players pretty hard. Not all of them turn out. Golson being the biggest bust from OSU in a long time. Only one I didn't want us to draft was Mike Adams, then we did lol good kid but I never thought he was a good football player. I'm high on Elliot and Miller this year from the group. Bosa too. Plenty of other good ones to choose from too haha

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have wanted a safety for years, a couple years back I wanted the Steelers to
    draft the guy I can't think of his name but he now plays for the Saints.

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Vaccarro, he was one of my man crush guys as well.....

• Agree Agree x 1