1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Prospects at ILB

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 16, 2024.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There will be some concern over Wilson's injury history, he could be an option in the third round.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yea, we already have plenty of that going on. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I am all for spending in FA on ILB, S and C as those are cheaper positions. Save the expensive positions like OT and CB for the draft where you get them on rookie contracts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    True, but OT and CB are way more volatile in the draft. They have really high bust rates and are much riskier positions to draft overall. Signing a solid CB and maybe a decent RT and free up the draft to select a ILB, S, or C where the hit rates are much higher (and bust rates much lower). I completely understand your approach, but there are other ways to view it too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I am not so sure the hit rate on ILB, S or C is a given for us anymore. How have we done the last time we drafted a S, C or ILB .... none of them are with our team anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Steelers have met with Edgarrin Cooper, Jeremiah Trotter, and Junior Colson at the combine.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Junior Colson in 4th? Only place I see where it fits for our Steelers.

8. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Also formally met with Eichenberg from Ohio state. Informally met with another half dozen who seem more undrafted free agent types.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Eichenberg fits in 4th round.

10. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    I see Cooper in 2, Trotter in 3, and the other 2 in the 4th. The DTs they’ve officially met with look like round 3 prospects to me.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  12. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    When do you see Steelers picking a center? A corner back, a DL, an OT

13. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    I was just commenting on what round I think they go in. I can see the order being 1 center tackle or corner 2 lb if Cooper is there, c or cd otherwise. 3 I’d be looking at slot cb if we haven’t picked one yet, or d line. 4 a right tackle and lb or wr if we’ve already got one. Depends on who falls.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

Payton Wilson runs a 4.4 forty, could be an option for the Steelers in the second round.

15. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    He wasn't on our list of official meetings (which may not be complete, or upgraded, or they could meet with him at his pro day), but 6' 3 1/2" and a 4.43 forty? He would be able to take away the TEs that kill us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    He certainly opened some eyes, mine included. He doesn't look like a ILB to me, looks like
    he needs to hit weight room. Looks to skinny to mess with 300 lb lineman.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    JALYX HUNT S/EDGE HOUSTON CHRISTIAN | NFL DRAFT PROFILE & SCOUTING REPORT
    ROLE: MAN-ZONE FREE SAFETY
    LAST UPDATED: 02/28/2024
    DRAFT YEAR: 2024
    40 TIME: 4.64 SECONDS (24%*)
    BOWL INVITE: SENIOR BOWL
    MEASURABLES:
    HEIGHT: 6-4 (97%*) WEIGHT: 252 (100%*)
    HANDS: 10 (80%*) ARM: 34 3/8 (95%*) SPAN: 82 7/8 (100%*)
    FORTY: 4.64 (C) (24%*) TEN YARD: 1.60 (C) (35%*)
    VERTICAL: 37.5 (C) (75%*) BROAD: 128 (C) (89%*)
    0% 100%
    (C)- NFL COMBINE (P)- PRO DAY (O)- OTHER (HS)-ESTIMATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL COMBINE
    FOR AN EXPLANATION OF HOW THE (HS) DATA IS CALCULATED SEE THIS ARTICLE
    ALL HOUSTON CHRISTIAN DRAFT PROSPECTS
    SHARE THIS PROFILE:

OVERALL RATING:
    80.5 / 100
    AVERAGE RATING OF OPPOSITION OFFENSE PLAYER HAS FACED
    OFFENSE RATING: 57%
    CLICK THE LINKS BELOW TO VIEW HOW PLAYER RANKS VS OTHER PROSPECTS.
    QB RATING WHEN TARGETED: 47.2
    TACKLING: 73%
    RUN DEFENSE: 75%
    COVERAGE: 93%
    ZONE: 00%
    MAN/PRESS: 83%
    DRAFT PROJECTION: 5TH
    OVERALL RANK: #167 POSITION RANK: #39
    COLLEGE GAMES: 31 COLLEGE SNAPS: 1484
    PLAYER COMPARISON* (SIMILARITY LEVEL)

JL SKINNER - BOISE STATE 04%
    Sterling WEATHERFORD - MIAMI (OH) 03%
    Kyle HAMILTON - NOTRE DAME 03%
    DRAFT PROFILE: BIO
    Following high school, Hunt opted to join Cornell.

In 2021 as a freshman Hunt saw action in 10 games and played a total of 234 snaps at safety for the Big Red. He recorded 11 tackles, 5 assists, while adding 4 stops. In coverage Hunt notched up one pass breakup, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 126.7.

After the end of the season he transferred to Houston Christian where as a sophomore for the Huskies in 2022 Hunt played in 11 games and logged 718 snaps for the Huskies. He made solid 56 tackles, 14 assists, and had 40 stops. In coverage he totaled one pass breakup, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 64.6. In addition he forced 44 total pressures, and 7 sacks during the year.

In 2023 as a junior Hunt played in 10 games and contributed on 532 snaps. He chalked up 29 tackles, 6 assists, and added 29 stops. In the secondary Hunt forced 2 pass breakups, one interception, and gave up an elite QB rating when targetted of 42.9. He also logged 32 total pressures, and an excellent 8 sacks on the year

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
    • He’s an enforcer in the middle of the field and flashes the ball skills to create turnovers.
    • Flashes intimidating attitude and will crush tiptoeing receivers across the middle.
    • Flashes some physicality as a hitter.
    • Has a tall frame and long arms, plus strong hands, giving him a huge catch radius.
    • Good hustle player who puts himself in the action when he's not directly involved. Knows how to use his height and vertical leap.
    • Tracks the ball well downfield and has the innate feel for high-point passes. He’s willing to come up and fill against the run and seems to take pride in delivering violent hits in run support.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
    • Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
    • Lacks the quick feet to mirror underneath and is slow to transition out of his backpedal and close on the ball
    • While Hunt has man coverage skills, he can struggle when sitting back in zone. He’s not instinctive and struggles reading downfield routes and tracking the deep ball.
    JALYX HUNT PERCENTILES VS OTHER SAFETYS(NFL COMBINE HISTORICALLY - HIGHER VALUE REPRESENTS BETTER PERFOMANCE)
    PREVIOUS: #38 SIONE VAKI
    NEXT: #40 DWIGHT MCGLOTHERN

HOW OTHER SCOUTING SERVICES RATE JALYX HUNT (OVERALL RANK)
    ALL SCOUTS AVERAGEOVERALL RANK
    ALL SCOUTS AVERAGEPOSITION RANK
    *Percentile Ranking in Player's Position Group (NFL Combine Historical Data): This percentile reflects how a player's specific statistics rank in comparison to historical performances at the NFL Combine, specifically within their position group. A higher percentile indicates a better performance. For instance, being in the 90th percentile for a particular stat means the player outperformed 90% of their peers in that category.

*Similarity Percentage: This percentage is calculated based on a comprehensive analysis of various factors, including height, weight, 40-yard dash times, on-field performance statistics, and overall player rating. The analysis is conducted against our database of draft prospects from 2021 to 2023. This similarity score helps in evaluating how closely a current prospect aligns with past prospects. It is important to note, however, that this score reflects similarities based on college production and attributes, and does not account for eventual success or performance in the NFL.

possible move to ILB or the keanu neal role. :cool:

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's over 230lbs, he could probably gain another ten pounds to play in the NFL.

19. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    He is a stud. Would love this guy. He reminds me so much of Chad Brown the way he moves. Watch his highlight tape. Guy is a freak. He would be fantastic covering TE’s and zone coverage in the middle of the field. Perfect fit for what you look for at that position in todays NFL.

With all of that said I don’t think we consider him because of his injuries. With all of the injuries to that position last year I think we are look for stability at that position and to solidify it once and for all.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Perfect ILB 20 years ago. Not in todays NFL. If you can’t cover there just isn’t much opportunity to play beyond 2 downs.

21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    He is so bendy and quick he can just run around blocks.

22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    As much as I would love one of these centers I just don’t see how it works for us in the draft with such a glaring need at CB as well and other holes. I would take a C in Free Agency and draft a CB in the first and a ILB or Dl, OT or S in the second. There really aren’t any good CB options in FA that wouldn’t require a significant amount of money and possible draft capital to get.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Jeremiah Trotter 6ft 228lbs not interested in him, similar to Devin Bush in size.

24. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Everyone forgets that his rookie year, Devon Bush outplayed the other Devon. It wasn't until he wrecked his leg that he went downhill. We got a very productive year and a half out of him.

25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Ledarious Sneed? We would have 2 excellent CBS for long time. He covers top wr's nd shuts them down.

• Agree Agree x 1