1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Proof Of Ones Worth: Steelers Players With The Most To Prove

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Jun 13, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    My goodness.. it has been far too long since I have done a thread like this. Anyways, hello again fellow members. AQL here back with a list of the top 5 players who have the most to prove this season. These players were specifically chosen for a myriad of reasons. Sophomore surges, contract seasons or reliability are just some of the reasons these players made the list.

Keep mind though this is just one persons opinion and only such. I repeat, this is not factual but based on my own perceptions and expectations.

Now that we are done with introductory formalities, time to start the list.

Number Five.

[​IMG]

Stephon Tuitt:

Any time a player steps up for the teams best player on defense, more often than not chances are when they enter a contract season, their chances to cash in skyrocket depending on their previous history, reliability and performance not too mention if that player is still ascending. Such is the case for Stephon Tuitt; arguably the NFL's best interior defensive lineman under the age of 25. Given the circumstances, Tuitt has been just about everything the Steelers wanted when they drafted him in the 2014 NFL Draft. Originally slated to be a top 15 pick that year, Tuitt fell due to his knee issues. Looking at it now, it is safe to assume Pittsburgh received great value when they selected him. Yes, his numbers were down in 2016 compared to 2015 but his impact was much improved thanks in part to the season ending injury of Cameron Heyward. Without him, teams had to double team soley on Tuitt for any type of rushing success. Bill Belichick even called Tuitt a "force". However, 2017 may be hia biggest year yet. While the team can sign him now (they just may), chances are a strong 2017 showcasing will allow him to drive up his price, which in turn, will force Pittsburgh to sign him sooner rather than later.

Number Four.

[​IMG]

Alejandro Villanueva.

To say he is not one of the NFL's best stories is blasphemous. A former Army Ranger, the road for "Big Al" to the NFL seemed like it would never take shape. Multiple attempts by the Philidelphia Eagles proved to be ineffective. One more chance in the Steel City in 2015 and two years later though, he has become a top 15 tackle in the game while essentially still being a sophomore. Now that he has leanred the position well enough to man someone of Ben Roethlisberger's caliber, much like Tuitt, he too is due for a raise. However, his situation is more tricky than Tuitt's. Unlike Tuitt, who is 24 now, Villanueva will be 29 this season and 30 the next. Add the fact the Steelers invested in Jerald Hawkins last season and the chips seem to be in Pittsburgh's favor in spite of Big Al's performance. Some believe a contract will get done before the start of the season. Others do not think he will. Much like Stephon, a strong showcasing this season for the Army Ranger will force Pittsburgh to think again about giving the big man his pay.

Now this is where the list kicks up a notch. Some interesting choices here.

Number Three.

[​IMG]

Vince Williams.

Had a lot of choices here. I will save those for later though. Regarding this man above me though, this was a long time coming. 2014 seemed to be the year for him.... then Ryan Shazier fell in the draft. A top 10 linebacker falls and ends up snatching Vince's spot after a good rookie showcasing in 2013. Three years since 2014 though and Vince's patience and dedication has payed off as he is now the starter alongside Ryan Shazier. However, not all is rosy for the former Seminole. A shoulder injury has not derailed his season but given his violent style of play, one has to wonder if his shoulder can hold up for the upcoming season. This is essentially Vince's season to cement himself as a fixture on this defense and not just the wood laying 'backer he has been labled. Should Vince not be able to take the torch from Lawrence Timmons, the team can turn to Tyler Matakevich or draft one early if the situation becomes dire then.

Number Two:

[​IMG]

Sammie Coates.

Hmm... let us see.

-Pittsburgh receives Martavis Bryant for the 2017 season.

-Pittsburgh signs Justin Hunter (most telling of the three reasons in my opinion).

'Pittsburgh drafts JuJu Smith-Schuster in the 2nd round (circa 2014 via Stephon Tuitt as a first round talent falls in the second).

Can it get any worse? A crooked finger.

While Smith-Schuster does not directly affect Sammie as JuJu is expected to compete for the starting slot position, he does indirectly affect his standing on the depth chart. Add the fact that Justin Hunter could very well be an insurance policy more so for Sammie due to his condition and the odds really do not look good. Unless he beats out Demarius Heyward-Bey, this could very well be the last time we see Sammie Coates in a Steelers uniform.

Okay... before I reveal who number one is, time to reveal the players who just missed this list.

[​IMG]

Senquez Golson.

Many will argue that he should be number one on this list.

No experience? Check.

Four cornerbacks added in addition to a veteran to leap frog to even make final 53? Check.

One of those players taking snaps with the first team defense over you? Check.

One major reason though as to why Senquez Golson is not on this list is due to one thing: fit. Not so much in personnel but scheme. Senquez Golson was drafted in 2015 to take over the reigns from William Gay. However, such a plan never materialized and, as a result, the slot spot was all Gay's. Fast forward to today and it seems Pittsburgh's patience is wearing thin. As if Coty Sensabaugh was not enough, third round chess piece Cameron Sutton and newcomer Mike Hilton, a player who has been making some waves, have complicated his chances. While 5th round pick Brian Allen will not be a slot corner, his chances of making the final 53 will be the same as Golsons as both have to prove themselves in the preseason. If Senquez Golson cannot make waves of his own come the preseason, Golson will go down as one of the biggest busts in Steelers history. Given the fact the team is moving more so to a man coverage scheme, chances are that Senquez's days are numbered.

[​IMG]

Jesse James.

This explanation is a lot easier in spite of his circumstances. In 2015, Heath Miller retired, surprising many. In 2016, Ladarius Green's promising start endes abruptly. He was later released in the offseason. Now the new number one, Jesse does have some questions to answer all his own. He does not possess the seam busting abilities that Heath or Ladarius had. He is still a work in progress in pass protection in spite of his considerable improvement in year two. Why has a new entrenched starter been left off the list then?

Improvement itself.

Had Jesse not improved like I thought he would, he may have been in the top three. However, given his showcasing in the regular season was more than enough for me. The AFC Divisional and AFC Championship Games only added further indication he would be a good starter. Now that Green in gone, the grass has never been any more "green" for "The Outlaw".

[​IMG]

William Gay.

This one could be just as controversial as Senquez Golson before him although not as bad as some make it out to be. Much like Senquez, Mike Hilton has been doing well to take first team reps. Unlike Golson however, that day was a veterans day off. As such, no issue for William. Even if he got permeated by Tom Brady and Chris Logan, this does not mean his spot is in danger... yet. Should William Gay falter or get injured during the 2017 season, either Coty Sensabaugh, Cameron Sutton or even Senquez Golson if he survives the cuts will take his spot and will likely not let go; signaling the end of "Big Play" Willie Gay.

[​IMG]

Arthur Moats.

Two linebackers drafted this year and improvement from Anthony Chickillo from a depth standpoint have Arthur Moats seemingly on the outside looking in. Granted though, in spite of nabbing both T.J. Watt and Keion Adams, I suspect that, due to his special teams abilities, Arthur will crack the final 53 as he now has to look over his shoulder.

[​IMG]

Ross Cockrell.

*** Hides as Thigpen hunts for me ***

Easily my most controversial one. Period. Why was Ross almost added onto the list though? A starting corner who has proven to be a steal in 2014 and is due for a breakout season seems silly. Here in lies the kicker as the "devil is in the little details". Should Ross have a Pro Bowl season, he is going to demand a good amount of payment come the next offseason. With players like Ryan Shazier, Stephon Tuitt/Alejandro Villanueva, Le'Veon Bell and others like Jesse James and BJ Finney, will Pittsburgh have enough money?

To answer all of these, yes they will. Ross has done more than enough to eaen his keeps. A young defensive nucleus is what is needed and he will get his deal done.

Now.... time for the number one player with the most to prove.

[​IMG]

Artie Burns.

Depending on ones criteria, Artie should be the most controversial choice or the most likely choice. I will address the former as Artie's placement on this list has a lot more than it seems.

Artie represents the culmination of three years of a defensive rebuild dating back to 2014. From 2014-2017, Pittsburgh has slowly transformed its defense from "old slow and done" to "young fast and fun". However, their defensive transformation has a lot more to do with the need for speed. Pittsburgh currently now employs 4-2 under fronts and 4-3 looks in nickel formations under Mike Tomlin. Recall that Mike Tomlin was a Defensive Coordiantor for the Minnesota Vikings and a Defensive Backs Coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. What is more important about this is that Mike Tomlin was running the Tampa 2 style defense which relied on man based coverages. The draft acquisition of Artie Burns signals the final piece that Mike Tomlin hopes to be the answer for the team to transition to play more man coverage.

However, that alone is not the reason why Artie is number one. In addition to being the culmination of a defensive rebuild, he is the last piece this defense needs to push them over the hump for the team to return to a top 5 unit again. Of all the sophomore surges Steelers fans should want and be worried about, Artie's is by far the most important. To start the season, Kenny Britt, Adam Thielen and former Steeler Markus Wheaton will be waiting. After that, Jeremy Maclin comes to face Pittsburgh yet again but this time he is in a different uniform. Allen Robinson and Tyreek Hill will come soon after. Cincinnati has now two threats in both AJ Green and John Ross. More receivers like Jordy Nelson, DeAndre Hopkins, T.Y. Hilton and Julian Edleman await but the point is quite clear; Artie faces a murderous 2017. Every team on the schedule has number one receivers who are capable of doing serious damage or are so good that sometimes one catch is all they need for their teams win. The only real "break" he receives is Corey Davis but even then he is not considered a cakewalk by any means. Even if he is, that meetinf between Pittsburgh and Tenessee will happen late in the season.

Even with those challenges even that is not the biggest reason why Artie is number one. The fact that the team is hinging its bets on Artie to be a lockdown corner in year two is quite the leap of faith. Yes, the team is moving towards Artie's strong suit of press man and Artie does have a year worth of experience and NFL offseason training. Having to train against arguably the best receiver in the game in Antonio Brown will further accelerate his year two progression. Add the fact that he has already faced some of these names including other reputed wideouts like Odel Beckham Jr. and Artie should be fine.

Keyword is should.

To emphasize, Artie will not be the reason why we do not reach the Super Bowl should we fail to do so. However, should Artie falter during the season, he may be a big reason why we do not get to the stairway let alone reach the conference final.

There it is folks. Five players. Similar reasons but big expectations. Who do you think should be on this list? Who are you most concerned about? Please leave thoughts below as it always helps.

Once again, thank you for reading.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    pretty good list.

ben. we have given every weapon a qb could ask for. an o-line that is as solid as they come. no more KC games with all FG's. no losing to teams we should blow out. deliver the goods. :cool:

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :applaud:

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Damned straight. :lolol:

I can more or less guarantee that Cockerill will not go to the pro bowl next year, but will continue with solid - and invaluable - play throughout the year.

That said, the key to any of the secondary's success - including Burns - is their on-field communication. The Steeler with the biggest point to prove next year is Keith Butler.

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Jarvis Jones. I think this is the year he finally raises to the level of a first round pick. Oh. Wait. This thread is in 2017 and not 2016. Or 2011. Or 2012. Or 2013. Or 2014. Or 2015. My bad. Carry on.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i kind of agree with this and will add carnell lake. :cool:

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know about Tuitt having to prove anything, he has been everything we wanted Day one.

Artie, I'm not sure about him, he looked lost at times out on the field.

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think Artie is good but not close to elite yet. Good thing he is looking to prove us wrong, and has the tools. Golson.. lol

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    No mention of Bud Dupree yet? I'd have to rank him in my top 2 or 3. His raw physical ability is off the charts. By all accounts he works hard and does what he needs to do to make the most of that ability, yet he hasn't fully put it together yet. I understand that last year's injury set him back, but the reality is that he has yet to perform as the player that his talent says he should be. I think he will, but he hasn't yet, and that's why I think he has a lot to prove.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How come Mike Tomlin gets a pass? Didn't he use to be a DB coach and coordinator at Vikings, I agree Carnell Lake
    needs to really step it up. His days maybe numbered if he can't get this secondary playing at a high level. No more pitch and catch
    games from opponents.

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I guess the question is who has the most to prove (from the thread title).

Regardless of whether I rate Tomlin or not, Butler and Lake have more to prove. We know what we have in Tomlin (I think you and I can agree on that, even if we disagree on what exactly it is we have), and he's unlikely to change radically this season than from the last - compared to, say, younger players who we expect to see signs of development, or older players like William Gay who have to adapt to changes around them.

The jury is still out on Butler's defensive schemes, and a crucial part of that has been player communication and their understanding of roles (particularly in the secondary). So this season you'd expect to see a big improvement there. Especially with them moving to playing less zone coverage. And in that sense, Butler has the most to prove.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Who is the leader(HC) of the team? Shouldn't he be directing the Coordinators/ position coaches of
    what type of player he wants to see? And how best to use these players talent to give them the best possible chance to succeed? Tomlin
    always gets a free pass, his time is running out on how to beat the Pats.LOL

14. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    No mention of Martavius? To me he has a ton to prove, to both his teammates and the front office for sticking with him. 1) That he can stay clean and 2) That he can still play at the level he showed before his suspension.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Do not worry Elvis..

I do plan to do these during the preseason; training camp as well should anything change. :smiley1: