1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Projected Roster

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TarheelFlyer, Mar 6, 2012.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I am just thinking about the draft. What would the team look like RIGHT NOW if we drafted no one, but could resign our UFAs and RFAs as we wanted. What would it show us about our weaknesses.

Offense (24 Guys, 1 ???)

QB (3) Ben, Lefty, Jarred Johnson as the #3

RB (4) Redman, Dwyer, Batch, Clay (Mendy PUP)

WR (5) Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Derrick Williams

TE (3) Heath, Johnson, Saunders

OT (4) Gilbert, Colon, J. Scott, Trevis Turner

OG (4) Legs, Foster, Essex, C. Scott

C (1) Pouncey - both Essex and Legs as backups

Defense (24 guys, 1 up for grab)

DLine (6) Hood, Keisel, Heyward, McLendon, Woods, Hampton

LB (8) Harrison, Timmons, Foote, Woodley, Carter, Worilds, Sylvester, Ivy

S (4) Mundy, Troy, Clark, Allen

CB (6) Lewis, Ike, Gay, Brown, C. Allen, Rolle

Specials

LS - Warren
    P - Kapinos
    K - Shuisham (would love to upgrade him)

I have highlighted holes that I see in the lineup. Things that I think are question marks or positions that I think may be up for grabs.

What are the areas that you see that need upgraded? How does this help you focus on the draft and what we should be taking? What are your thoughts about the last few holes in the lineup as this group above leaves us 2 players short?

2. COSteeler

COSteeler Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Please, no Essex. Can't we train a young guy already on the roster to be a low-motor turnstile kind of player for less money. I went through the roster and saw that we have a bunch of younger guys that have been brought in as free agents and many have spent time on the practice squad. Cromartie-Smith may play this year as may a few others, hopefully someone at guard. I think we could do well enough at NT with Hood, Woods, McClendon or the two fro Northwestern or Auburn. I'm hopeful that some of the younger lower round picks or free-agents that have taken longer to develope step up. I'm also confident that this will happen. That has been the Steeler way. With the usual postion we draft in, developement and time with our coaches is usually always necessary.

3. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's shocking how weak we are at OG. None of these players deserves to be starting and three of them shouldn't even be on the team, IMO.

4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    As far as going by your RIGHT NOW roster...not too bad I guess...I'd change the 3rd QB to Troy Smith though I think.

Also I dont get some peoples hate of Essex...is he great? No! But he plays his role just fine of being able to backup ALL 5 OL positions...not many can do that. And i think he played great when he came in at C last year. I would welcome him back without a problem to fill that same backup to all 5 position.

5. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Ask me again in the beginning of May

6. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    That was my reaction as well. I am okay with any of the 4 being on the roster, but None of the roster should be starting.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    :cool:

8. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Good comments Mac. Don't know if we can replace everyone with draft picks this year, but I do like where this team is sitting. They can fill the holes they have this year with either current talent of drafted talent.

9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    did chris scott not get released and picked up by someone?

10. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Sickening to be honest

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Not according to his wiki page.

(Though not sure if anyone would care enough to update it)

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    again, he was a very good LT at tennesee. they led the nation in least sacks allowed during his time there. foster was the RT when scott was a jr. they were the top or very close to it that year too. they come here and we try to turn them into guards. maybe we see if they can play their normal positions for a change. :cool:

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm just messing. There were a number of guys on the roster - C.Scott, also Jolley - who tended to look ok in preseason. Better than J.Scott, for my money. Coaches obviously thought otherwise.

14. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Scott is still listed on our roster.

My thing about him is...why was he looked at as a starter in the mix with Legursky last year? He basically spent all of 2010 on the PUP or inactive list. Last year was his first training camp really as he didn't do much the prior year in camp. What do they see in him they like that they keep him around.

15. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    I really wanted them to keep Swayze Waters last year. He might of missed some in the preseason, but the man has a leg. Sebastian Janikowski was horrible at first and he turned out pretty good.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    sabastian was just drunk then. :shots: :roflmao: :cool: