1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Profession sphincter at it again - AB - Thank God he is gone.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Aug 2, 2019.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Question for anyone who thinks that the Steelers should have kept him because they got screwed and didn't get good value in the trade.......If the Raiders are tired of him and decided to trade him before the start of the season, what do you think they'd get for him now?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Early on I thought the Steelers should play tough and hold him to his contract. And I actually thought they would. It didn't take long to change my mind.
    I don't believe any president has been set. Truly a unique situation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's all subjective, but there is no question Brown won. He wanted out and he got that. He wanted a new contract and he got that. He seemed to want to screw the Steelers over and he got that, too, when he scuttled the trade to Buffalo.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It won't happen. also, the circumstances are not the same because he has a bigger contract and other issues have arisen since then. It's not a viable comparison.

5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Excellent question. Maybe a 5th or 6th round pick.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It isn't the first time they let a player force his way out of town with bad behavior. It's just the most glaring.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't always follow the masses with my opinions. That doesn't mean those opinions are wrong.

8. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    @Formerscribe

Time to stop to talk about this trade, it's over....It was 5 months ago ...This thread is about the situation of the helmet of AB right now ... Mike Mayock is not happy right now...

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If that is the case, the thread needs to be moved to General NFL Talk. Of course, Brown is absolutely relevant to the Steelers. That trade will and should be a topic of discussion all season. Even the title refers to sending Brown away, so how is the trade not relevant to the discussion?

10. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Wait, 'other issues have arisen since?' But you are on record saying that his issues come with the package along with his talent. So logically those issues shouldn't matter to a team willing to trade for him since they shouldn't have mattered to the Steelers, right? Also if AB is traded tomorrow, the Raiders dead money is a measly $333,333. It is very unlikely that they trade him, but the two situations aren't as far apart as you want them to be, so answer the question. If the Raiders wake up tomorrow looking to trade AB, what would they get?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  11. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    It's about its helmet right now...

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Sorry, but no. That simply isn't true. In trying to justify the Steelers' decision to accept pennies on the dollar for Brown, you are trying to include facts that were not in evidence when they made the deal. Those facts include the helmet issue and the frostbitten feet.

I have no idea what they would get and neither do you.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    But it's only relevant to the Steelers because of the trade.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  15. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Raiders fans hate him now too.. That didn't take long lol.. But us Steeler fans were just trying to spin it anyway we could in our favor so we could be at ease with losing our best player.. Lmao at raiders fans. forever losing :roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
  16. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    What isn't true?

Here is your quote from page 10......

When I brought up his disruptions as reasons to be thankful that the Steelers got rid of him, you dismissed them by saying that they don't matter because they 'come with the package.'

Now you're saying that those disruptions DO matter when talking about a hypothetical trade from the Raiders because you know that they lower his trade value.

You can't have it both ways, unless you try to claim that you didn't know about those two specific issues and they would have made a difference, which IS where you are going with this. That's laughable because you're willing to claim that abandoning your team in a critical game and throwing your teammates and management under the bus, among other things is forgivable as coming 'with the package,' but the helmet and feet issue?....yeah, those are deal breakers.

You've painted yourself into a corner, good luck getting out.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    "Antonio Brown is not practicing because of his helmet" -- One of the headlines on Rotoworld. That's just absurd for a guy who was lauded so long for his work ethic, let alone justification for not practicing in his mind. What a nutcase...

18. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Just because AB got what he wanted, i.e "won", does not mean the Steelers "lost". It's not a zero sum game. Both parties have differing goals. The Steelers needed to do what's best for the franchise and AB needs to do what's best for AB (at least in his mind).

In the Steeler's case they had to get rid of a problem, but do so with maximum return. IMO, they achieved that by trading AB pre-draft for what they got.

a) post-draft was no good because you want 2019 picks, not 2020 that are one year closer to Ben's retirement
    b) AB was sabotaging his own value with his antics, so any further delay would in all probability not provide greater return, but less.

The risks in keeping him in the hope of greater return far outweighed the benefits. He was guaranteed to be a gigantic distraction and whatever return you were going to get was going to be deferred, 2020 picks instead of 2019 and there were no indications that the 2020 picks were going to be better than the 2019. In fact the trendline was going down, not up, and there was no reason to believe that you would get better offers in the future.

formerscribe, says that what's going on now and what you could get in a trade for him now are irrelevant. Not so. It completely went into the calculation of the Steelers as to when to trade him. Let's be real, AB being a problem child this season for whoever had him is not exactly a surprise. It was entirely predictable.

The Steelers cut their losses and got what they could get before things got worse. It was a wise decision.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011

[​IMG]

Well said. Much better than I've been doing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    I think he’s scared personally. Laying the ground work with excuses. He won’t have Ben connecting to him he has a 2nd tier qb to work with

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
  22. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    And no JJSS on the other side to draw attention. ;)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah! How many receivers get to line up opposite their team’s MVP?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Nailed it! I suppose AB "won", but the Steelers certainly didn't lose... If anybody lost, it's the Raiders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Ab's mom should adopt juju and start the replacement process of ab. He already took his team MVP and pro Bowl spot. Might as well take his mom too lol