1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

productive guys to look at

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Feb 14, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have been wondering when someone was gonna mention Pumphrey, we all know Tomlin likes the small guys. Last year he was very interested in the kid from the Texans...Ervin. I watched Pumphrey a little and he scares me. I saw him get knocked right back during the Senior Bowl game and was like man wait till he get to the NFL he will get killed. I am not against him but I feel there are a lot of good backs bigger then him. I really like Hunt but I think he will climb into the 2nd round, he had a good Shrine game and with a good combine he could be out of our range. I also love Elijah McGuire, I mentioned in another post he runs a lot like Bell. Not I am not saying he is Bell or ever will be Bell but what I am saying is we have Bell(I hope) why not draft a guy that runs like him? McGuire has very good hands and lined up at WR like Bell and more important he is projected to go in the 4th-5th round...right where I feel we should pick a back up RB. Mac, if you get some time take a look ay him would love to hear your thoughts on him.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not entirely true.

Tomlin covets HWS (Height-Weight-Speed) propsects much akin to Pete Carroll mainly uses pSPARQ scores. Ryan Shazier really is the prime example of how the HWS prospects is to Tomlin's liking.

As for the OP and these two prospects, a power runner seems to be Tomlins forte given he likes to "ride 'em till the wheels fall off." That corner prospect though... he seems intriguing.

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I remember Rainey and Archer and then there were lots of talk of Ervin last year. Just feels like MT likes these kind of guys.

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    probably more of Haley having flashbacks to Dexter McCluster and KC. Pumphrey is tiny, I wouldn't take him but he has shown durability over his college career IIRC from the Senior Bowl commentary. Seemed like a tough player but making that jump from college to NFL is tough to call.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Please, no more wasting draft picks on smurf rb's.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he had 1,159 touches in 4 years. rushing and receiving. only 100 touches receiving so the rest was on the ground. 67 TD's. 6.0 yards a carry. 7,446 yards with those touches he's not just a speed guy. as the film shows this kid can run from the I too. great vision and can cut on the move with the ability to be patient. hmmm who does that remind us of? LOL

:cool:

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Until they get to the pros and then they look like Rainy and Archer.

No thanks, Im done with little RB's. NFL is a different beast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    archer was just speed. he couldn't cut well and didn't have that type of vision. not everybody is archer and rainy. the first thing bell did was lose weight. several of our guys now are not huge. dwill and FT, brown-dukes none of these guys are that big. 2 bills. :cool:

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    He had a great college career however jmo here but in college he was going against one maybe 2 pro level players. He won't be that lucky in the pros he will be going against 11 solid players who hit freakin hard. I just don't see his body holding up

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And yet you thought Archer would be a good fit. Im not buying it Mac, its a mans game, these are little boys in comparison.

I've learned my lesson, not interested in these types of players anymore. Waste pick after pick looking for the next Sproles and for what? Not like he is going to put us over the top if we do find him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Please no more Gadget type players, the Steelers do not have the luxury.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Especially when we have a guy like that already who is our #1 RB, Bell can do everything we need from a Sproles like player and do it while playing all 3 downs. I think we need to find a back up in the draft but one that will be able to handle the pounding of a 3 down back. I feel that is not Pumphrey, and there are a lot of other backs in this draft to choose from.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we already have our feature backs here. pumphrey would be a guy that is a change of pace to spell bell once in awhile not replace bell. we already have other bigger backs here too. karlos williams. fitz toussaint. dreamius smith. none of which would have the versatility in the passing game that pumphrey and bell have. he would be a mid to later round guy 4th or 5th, which we have two 5ths. if he dropped to that round. more of a james white style campared to a blunt style that NE uses him at. karlos, fitz and dreamius just don't possess that style of play if bell goes down. sure fitz has some game. karlos has some game but is again like bryant and green, you just don't know if they will be there for you. :shrug::cool:

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    as far as kazee, i love his ability and i think he would be a great addition as a slot corner, capable of moving outside if he had too. aggressive in his play and seems like a pretty good tackler. i'd love to add him and adoree jackson to our defensive backfield in one draft. :cool:

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I guess my question is why draft a change of pace back when you already have a change of pace back as a starter who is also you main RB? I get what your saying but why draft Pumphrey when you could draft a guy with similar skill sets as Bell and also have a guy who can step in in case Bell gets hurt or leaves. Pumphrey would be nothing more then a change of pace back and offer us nothing in case something happens to Bell. Sure you pointed out Fitz and Karlos but I am pretty sure we are limited with these guys, they don't offer the same skill set as Bell. Hunt and McGuire are two guys I love and have the skill set to step in and be able to run a very similar offense if something happened to Bell, Pumphrey can't. IMO :smiley1:

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't see alot of upside to hunts game. pumphrey has at least 350 more carries than either of those two. mcguire is slightly a better back than hunt but again pumphrey did more against better competition. i think he will be an asset to whomever gets him. add 10 lbs. of muscle to him in the pros and i think he will do fine in that role. he's not there to run guys over. we will have to agree to disagree on this one. :smiley1: :cool:

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes I agree to disagree, I don't see Pumphrey being able to handle the pounding. As for Hunt I guess we disagree on him as well, I see plenty of upside to his game. The kid can catch, he has very good hands and rarely puts the ball on the ground. Heck you talk about Pump playing vs better competition then Hunt just go watch the senior bowl game where there was some pretty good players there. I like both Hunt and McGuire a ton and feel they would fit our offense so much better in case Bell went down or leaves. :smiley1:

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    thats one game and most guys are playing not to get hurt in those games. it's not nfl grade either. pumphrey's movements on the run is what i like and he's never going to be the guy in the nfl. we also have guys to fill in on more of a full time basis if bell goes down. he wouldn't be there for that but to be a change of pace for whomever would be the next feature guy up. his role wouldn't change. :cool:

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Come on Mac your better then that, don't give me the guys are playing to not get hurt stuff....yeah maybe in their bowl games but not at the senior bowl. and as far as not NFL grade players please. last year 87 of the players were drafted from that game and 4 in the first round. They are playing their butts off cause there id so many scouts there. Also they are getting very good coaching, all NFL coaches. Now if you want to say the rules are set up for the offense I agree, but please don't say they aren't trying. Listen to the practices on Sirius radio next year, you will have a different opinion.

Now as far as guys to fill in, yeah who????? We have guys like Fitz who can't so a 1/4 of what Bell does and that was proven 2 years ago when he couldn't hold onto the ball and run the clock out vs Denver. Why take a chance on a guy like Pump as a change of pace when you can draft a Hunt or McGuire.....or someone else with that kind of skill set that could run the same offense as Bell and bring the same skill set? Love these debates always good to throw different ideas off each other. :smiley1:

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Also I want to point out I my no means am saying Hunt or McGuire are the next Bell or ever will I am saying these guys are similar. They have a hack of a long way to go to be in Bell's class.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they don't want hurt in that game to lose their draft positioning. most of the looks come from the practices leading up to the game. with so little prep for this type of game it's more for the fans. the nfl already knows what these guys are capable of doing by the time the game comes around. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    are you still saying fitz can't play because of that fmble in his rookie year in a playoff game after what he did the rest of the game for us? c'mon man. heck the bus fumbled in a playoff game i remember that almost cost us. fitz is a pretty good back. there is going to be a huge drop off when and if bell gets hurt.:cool:

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not saying he can't play cause of the fumble I am saying he can't carry the load. If he could we wouldn't have been paying DWill what we did so Fitz could sit at #3 on the depth chart. Fitz is avg nothing more and that is why I want a RB from this group and I don't want a change of pace or a gadget type guy....save that for the WR spot it they want to get a guy like that....Whitfield from Fla St fits that mold. I agree there will be a drop off from Bell but that is why I want a guy like Hunt or McGuire. Playing behind Bell and practicing with him can only help when they have similar styles. Nobody that I can remember thought Bell was gonna turn into what he is, we all hoped he would be a good back but I don't remember anyone saying Bell would be one of in not the best at his position. Heck I remember after the 1st season the old board I was at had a lot of people bitching that we should have taken Lacey......hows that look now? lol

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't know, i was one that liked bell in that draft.:smiley1::cool: