1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pro Days

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ll be rooting against you! ;)

I dont think he offers anything other than being fast. Another John Ross flame out at the NFL level.

Much much better options in this draft. If he’s there in the 6th maybe I might not mind taking a flyer on that speed.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Agree to disagree! :drinks:

Alex Kozora of SteelersDepot has a Scouting Report on him. Has much better hands than you think.

I do agree about his limitations in terms of his knowledge of the route tree. That said, KISS for Matt Canada. Given Canada's background, I seriously doubt he would not have a few plays dialed up for Schwartz to take advantage of his speed.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Stokes could be Nelson's replacement at CB :hehehe:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    was just getting ready to post about either georgia corner. stokes is ranked lower but actually had a better career there. asante samuels jr.. greg newsome II. tyson campbell. eric stokes. my sleeper, shamar jeean-charles. :cool:

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we signed a WR as well at the georgia pro day tyler simmons. :cool:

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    When is Alabama's Pro Day?

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now I think we'll Draft 2 DBs this year. :lolol:

8. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    March 23rd.

it's gonna be televised.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This is quite the development indeed. Trevon Moehrig coming to the Steelers at pick 24 would be more suitable now that Nelson has elected to request a trade. Who he met with though is going to be critical.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I hope not, a safety in the first round not interested at all. I haven't seen this guy projected to go this high.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    where are you looking? i have seen him at 23.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Interesting...

With the likely Nelson departure and Sutton likely going to be his replacement, this would not be a bad idea. However, it is all dependent on the board. For example, if someone like Alijah Vera Tucker is on the clock, I am finding it very difficult, if not impossible, on how the Steelers pass on someone like him up at 24.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I have.

He is usually slotted around the 21-29 draft range. Here is a better comprehensive view of his stock that is presented by the people over at nflmockdraftdatabase:

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2021/trevon-moehrig-woodard

His highest total value was at 18. If anything, I can easily see him heading to Miami given the fact that there that there really is not a playmaker within the Safety Spot for them. That said, I doubt that will be the case if someone like Micah Parsons is still on the board.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry, didn’t see this but I see it was answered already :hi:

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The mocks I looked at I didn't see his name, although I haven't been paying attention to many lately.

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I still wouldn't draft a safety in the first round, there are bigger needs to address in the first round.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Like CB

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Never implied they should. :)

Keep in mind that Pittsburgh is only going to draft a player in the First Round if the team brought the house to their Pro Day. If anything, Eric Stokes seems now like a sleeper option at pick 24 given the fact that Nelson is going to be traded soon. While I myself have him in the Top 45 Overall, legit mid 4.2 speed cannot be taught.... at all. His overall athletic profile is also something to take notice of as well;

Here is another.

Granted, as we know, athleticism has not entirely panned out for the Corner Back position thus far when it comes to the Steelers History under Tomlin. That said, Eric Stokes is just about as close to a Tomlin Corner as one will find in the class not named Caleb Farley.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Nope, I wouldn't draft a CB in the first round, I already said the player on defense I would take #24 is Zaven Collins. A player that can run and hit, help shore up the run defense, a CB isn't going to help in that area.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Great another Artie Burns in the first round :lolol:

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Keeping in mind that I haven’t watched Stokes yet, I’m thinking the Tomlin formula might not be the best way to gauge how to draft a DB.

How about more emphasis on film and how well they play on the field and less emphasis on measurable’s. Not directed at you of course, AQL.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm not saying you do this , but some, I find it interesting say.... if a draft pick is good ,its a great pick Colbert. If the draft pick is bad , terrible pick Tomlin.
    Remember when I say this I'm really not pro , or con Tomlin. There is as much about him as a coach that I like, as there is I don't.
    So I'm kinda on the fence about him.
    I just think it's funny.
    If you don't believe me watch when some people talk past draft picks.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Cameron Sutton turned out pretty good. He was a good but not great athlete and had great production overall. As I have stated before, I believe that the dark ages (2007-2016) of picking up bad corners might be finally behind us. Keep in mind that, after the Artie Burns debacle, Tomlin placed a higher emphasis on production to go along with that athletic ability. Justin Layne had the production coming out..... but was still new to the position. Eric Stokes has the production and has been playing Corner since High School. For me, I would not mind if Stokes was the pick at 24. I just have him as my number one option as the likelihood of Jaycee Horn and Caleb Farley both being on the board by then is very unlikely.

Besides, I did leave out one name on my list; Azeez Ojulari. Two reasons actually. The first is he is likely now a Top 20 pick; arguably Top 15. The second is Alex Highsmith.

Even considering all of this, Etienne could still be on the board and be the pick anyhow. Why?! Very seldom do Tomlin and Colbert give up on one of their drafted players. Remember Cameron Sutton himself did not see much action in his first two seasons. Justin Layne has already seen more action than Sutton did within their Sophomore years. Furthermore, of the two, while Corner Back is by far the more premium position, I believe that you and me can agree on Najee Harris and Travis Etienne are truly the best of the best at the Running Back Position. Nabbing either or is critical.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I was just reacting to AQL and Tomlins formula of metrics for ranking players which I think is more of an observation based on the type of players they have drafted rather than any kind of reporting.

There was a great video on how the Steelers prepare for the draft, I don’t know where it is now, I should have made the thread a sticky but it’s a big collaboration of input from a large group of people. At the end of the day, it’s Colberts call naturally but I didn’t get the impression that he overrules the conclusions they come to as a group and the board that results from it.

• Like Like x 1