1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pro Bowlers so far...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by WWW, Nov 17, 2011.

1. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Just read an article about the pro bowl voting so far that wanted to share with you:

Pouncey, Woodley and Polamalu would be in if the voting ended today as Starters.
    Wallace will be the AFC #2 receiver (which also is a starting position).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... wl-voting/

There could also be some 2nd place steelers who are not on this list but headed to the probowl, as Timmons, Harrison & Taylor.
    Probably A Brown has a chance too.

2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    You would think from reading some of the comments about Willie Gay on here that he is the new Darelle Revis based on 2 good plays against the bungholes.

Willie Gay - all-pro CB :?

3. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Two players who are deserving but will never make it...Ike and Heath.

4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This pro bowl stuff is such BS. I love what Troy has brought to the table in years past but, how could he be voted to the pro bowl? I think he's effective even this year because he causes teams to plan away from him, but not like years before. Timmons is getting votes too?!?!?!?!?!!!! Over Heath!!!

miller should have three or more of those games under his belt. I hate how under rated he is.

5. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree about Troy. He's good for what we do, but he's not that good on one on one coverage. He never was.

6. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Sometimes I admit to prefer having no probowlers, for 3 reasons:

-Keeps the players focused
    -Gives them kind of underdogs treatment, where many of our players perform at a higher level
    -keeps market value affordable for us

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So what? You're talking about him like he's supposed to be. He's not a cornerback, he's a safety. He's not the best cornerback in the last 20 years, he's the best safety in the last 20 years.

He can't match up against real receivers in single coverage (What safety can? And is he as good as troy at being safety? Uh, no), but he's not totally useless there. He's good against tight ends and running backs, and in goal line situations.

I am on record for absolutely hating the Pro Bowl for how it is run and who always gets in. I think if they're not going to do it right (which they don't), then they shouldn't do it at all. I agree people get in on reputation and statistics. One year Troy made it when he only played like 6 games or something. I love him, but when a guy plays 6 games you let someone else go to the Pro Bowl. He's having a Pro Bowl-caliber season because he is playing awesome football. He doesn't have any INTs (two drops, I believe), but neither does Ike and we all know he should be in. He's destroying teams' running games like no other safety is capable of doing, he's breaking up passes and forcing QBs away from him, and he's making the splash plays he always does. Sounds like Troy to me.

Sadly, I find myself hoping his statistics will improve, so the dumber people out there will agree with me when common sense doesn't make it through their skulls.

8. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    let all the Steelers get voted in....none of them will be able to play in the game.

9. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I guess I must be a tough grader as I give us only 2 legitimate pro bowlers so far: 1st team defense - Woodley
    2nd team offense - Wallace
    Everyone else, including Troy, is just too damn inconsistent.

10. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The Pro Bowl is a joke.

11. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  12. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I was confused by the title of this thread and wondered why we were discussing the Pro Bowlers Tour. I know it is the bye week, but still . . .

Bettis could probably have competed on the Pro Bowlers Tour. He was supposed to be quite good.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    send them all. we have the best in the business at every position, ok except for LG, but take him anyway and drop him off in hawaii. :grin: :cool:

14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    How about ben.And I dont see Ike ever making the pro bowl and I don't honestly think he deserves it.He's never had an outstanding pro bowl season to me.

15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    LOL. Yes good call. Take #68 and don't let him get back on the plane coming back. He can work on the beach hitting trees to make coconuts fall out for the tourists.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    :lol: :banghead: :cool:

17. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    William Gay was the overwhelming player of the game last week according to polls on this site and the official Steelers site, where he garnered 50% of the 14,000 votes. He did not have as good a game as Ike Taylor.

Ike was targeted twice, and had two passes defensed. He covered AJ Green until he got hurt (of course the two safeties were the ones to allow Green's sole catch) and Cincy's #2, Simpson, for the rest of the game. Gay was covering Cincinnati's 2nd and 3rd receivers, and although he had 2 passes knocked away and one key INT (best game of his career by far!), he still also allowed many catches. As far as I'm concerned Ike's had one "off" game (sorta), against Baltimore two weeks ago, and has been among the very best in the league the rest of the year.

I know you weren't saying Gay's better, but my point is that everyone's gaga over Gay's performance last week and it still wasn't as good as Ike's. He's been doing it all season.

18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Max Starks, the guy has been lights out