1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pro Bowl skills competition

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Feb 1, 2024.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    So my son just put this garbage on. Ummmmmm. They’re golfing. LMAO. The NFL is getting to be a joke. I told him that I wasn’t watching this stupid competition but I didn’t think it would be golfing. We’re out! Congrats NFL - a new low. Maybe next year they could play checkers or maybe shoot marbles.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  2. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Well if they're gonna put golfing in there they should include some other favorite off season activities like fishing, four wheeling, and dodging sexual harassment lawsuits.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I did see that in the passing skills competition the finals came down to CJ Stroud against Baker Mayfield with Mayfield winning the event.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Wait? They actually had something pertaining to the game? When I turned it on they had a closest to the pin golf competition. I figured they were surely but slowly heading towards a water polo competition for the finale.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    They tried water polo but Lamar Jackson found out he couldn't take off and run in waist deep water and his passes to the net kept getting intercepted.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    At least he was waist deep, Baker was nose deep.

7. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Hockey all star skills competition was so much better but Crosby wasn’t even competing. He would have smoked the competition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Remember the early to mid 70's ABC broadcast the show bringing great athletes together to compete. There were 10 events, you chose 7, and the fun was seeing how some of these guys did. One year I think a DL (Page, Eller. or a Ram) almost drowned in the 100 yard swim, lol. Can't remember all the events, but bowling, 100 yard and 1/2 mile run, golf, HR derby (?), bike race, obstacle course.

That's really what these things have come down to, I think they would get more attention bringing in baseball players, track, tennis, whatever and have different fun skill things that would gain more interest.

9. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    Yes the Superstars events. Lynn Swann won the event the one year maybe two. I remember Joe Frazier in the swimming event he had to doggie paddle to keep afloat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Kyle Rote Jr won it a couple of years from the old soccer league NASL and it brought some recognition for a period, but even Pele could not make it truly natioanlly popular. They had a team event for a time, Steelers vs Vikes, Dodgers vs whoever, then the Dodgers won in the final, it was fun to watch as a kid. I do not think with the money they are making and the risk of injury it would fly today, but if the NFL would put together charity events around the Pro Bowl and get recently retired people from various sports etc, and have some interactions with the Pro Bowlers in non contact events it may be fun to check out in different streams. Not saying it would be must watch TV, but create some interest and bucks for charitable causes. May be I'm just a sap, but nothing about Pro Bowl interests me right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Swann owned the obstacle course in those events! Awesome memories!

• Like Like x 1
  12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Who won the figure skating? I missed it.

14. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    The event was cancelled when Andy Reid showed up, fell down and broke the ice.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Hell they don't even check in the NHL All-star game and when a guy gets a break-away they let him go. They don't block shots or anything and haven't for years now and I don't hear the whining and complaining about it as much as I do about the NFL game!

They've have various skills challenges in each for as long as I can remember. Hockey has always been about the same as the NBA. Hell the NHL has a 4 team format for the game.

What skills should the NFL do? There isn't an overall skill that can be shown by putting the ball in a goal like the other 2 or even baseball with the HR derby (Notice it isn't the base hit derby)Would it be entertaining to see a WR on the jugs machine until he dropped one? How about FG kickers playing horse?

I don't think we'd like to see the combine with Pro-bowlers. They do a race they do an obstacle course with agility, speed and strength elements. (that was pretty cool TBH)

For all the complaints about how they used to do it they still had the skills portion with some whacky stuff sprinkled in. Dodgeball was a neat little addition.

Just enjoy watching these guys out there without helmets and pads having some fun. It doesn't have to be a beat on each other after the season is over game!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Maybe next year the "Pro-Bowl" can be replaced fully with a "Beer Pong" tournament but obviously with the NFL's approved soft drink in the cups...

17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    That brought back so many memories, Lynn and Reggie in the same shot! The mention of Brian Oldfield, that Gorilla ran something near a 10 second 100 and shocked many, lol. A lot of fun in the middle of winter.

• Agree Agree x 2