1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pressure or Coverage

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    FINALLY, I can post on a Steelers MB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks to the person who made this one....Anyway, the blueprint to beat the Pats is out there, and watch the Buffalo game to see that the Bills had 7-8 CB's on the field and with a three man rush they got to Brady and it worked in the end. My question is-do the Steelers play a coverage scheme which they seem to have adopted this year (hence the #1 pass D) or do they go after the guy and not let him have all day. IMO our CB's after the first two lack a lot of talent so that is an added factor.

2. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well that's the issue for the Steelers, they don't get quick pressure on the QB when they rush 3 /4 guys.
    And Brady picks apart zone coverage schemes.

It comes down to matching up agaist welker,their TE's and their RB coming out of the back field.
    With some pressure up the middle would be hugh.

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    buffalo played same as cleveland last year and dallas this season , is the best way to defend the pats but do we have enough good cover players ? that s the question

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lebeau needs to change up if we are going to compete with NE,
    Lets hope these exotic defenses are used. Like freak said you still have
    to be able to cover the men.

5. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If the Steelers let Brady stand in the pocket for 10 seconds until he finds an open receiver, it will be over by halftime. Hopefully someone blasts him on a blitz and makes him gun shy. That is our only hope.

6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

A big hit or 2 early on Brady will make a huge difference..... :thumbs_up:

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    How early? Before the kick off would be my recommendation.

8. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The Giants showed everyone how to beat the Pats a few years ago, but so few have the personnel to execute it. I am not sure if we do or not.

What do you need?

1. 4 guys rushing the QB at most AND getting pressure. If you don't get pressure or hit him at some point, he will pick you apart.

2. Lots of guys in coverage who can run, play zone and man, and still come up and stop the run. The mentality for them is pass first, run in order to pass again.

3. Coverage ability to eliminate the TE from the options.

In order to do this...Hood, Heyward, Keisel and Woodley must all get pressure and hit Brady.

Troy needs to basically be a LB this week, along with Timmons. Woodley is basically a DE this week. All the CBs you can get into the game, you put there. I would go with a 2 (Hood, Heyward, Keisel swap around to stay fresh) 3 (Woodley, Timmons, Polamalu) 5 CBs (Ike, Lewis, Gay, Allen, McFadden) 1 (Clark) for most of the game, but that may just be me.

Assign Timmons or Troy to the TE, then rush the other one. This gives you 4 guys rushing the QB at all times and 7 guys in coverage. Coverage must be mixed. Play man on some guys and zone on others. This allows the coverage to be different at different spots on the field and for guys in coverage to have INT opps as they will be harder for Brady to spot.

Lastly, we must remember that Brady is a timing passer. He wants to release at certain times during the play, eliminate those times and he makes mistakes.

9. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I expect at least 3 penalties on us for getting too close to little Tommy from the refs. RG probably already has the fines written out in advance. So in that case, hit TB HARD!

10. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    :roflmao: :thumbs_up: :herewego:

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Bottom line is I think Steelers need to change it up at all times, you can't let Brady know what's coming all game.

I never thought about only rushing 3, but it is an interesting theory. Tunch was talking about how the Patriots line is really not that good, Brady just gets the ball out quick enough to make them look good. It is more of a finesse line than a bruising line. If Brady has to wait too long for someone to become open there is a good chance he is going to get hit.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  13. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I would like to see three lineman or linebackers at the line of scrimmage and one or two line backers in the middle.

Have Troy and Gay at the line of scrimmage or close, also and blitz them a lot. Keeping a running back in the backfield to block takes away a receiver or tight end, and there should enough other dbaacks or linebackers to cover the flats.

3-2-6:
    Kiesel - (McClendon/Ziggy) - Woodley
    Timmons - Farrior
    Ike - Lewis- Troy - Gay - Clarke - Mundy

3-1-7
    (Kiesel/Hayward) - (McClendon//Hoke/Ziggy) - Woodley
    (Timmons / Farrior)
    Ike - Lewis- Troy - Gay - Clarke - Mundy - Brown

-blitz dbacks especially Troy and Gay for their speed, should be odd for the lineman to pick up, maybe drop into coverage some as a change up
    -vary who blitzes
    -2 deep safeties having one sneak into middle some

3-3 Nickel ( maybe some if they start running the ball)
    Kiesel - (McClendon/Hoke) - Ziggy
    Timmons - Farrior - Woodley
    Ike - Lewis- Troy - Gay - Clarke - Mundy

-three dlineman should consume the oline somewhat (better in this game than 2 dlineman IMO)
    -probably have to drop linebackers into coverage a lot in this formation
    -continue to blitz Troy or Gay.

Hampton is not a good fit this game due to the hurry up and getting stuck on the field. Save him for next week.

Hayward could also rotate in.

Hold them to field goals vs touchdowns.
    Hit Brady early mostly, but continue.
    Play good coverage.
    Offense must score and more touchdowns than field goals.
    Some changes, unpredictability, and execution will be needed 4 quarters.

Steelers can win this game.

14. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Mac I wish but I don't think we have the players? Article outta Pitt earlier was questioning who would cover thier TE's?? wont be a DB (Mundy or Lewis will get playing time this weekend) Timmons? Farrior cant run with anybody now, so options are limited

15. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I go back to a point I made in another thread. The goal this week is not victory. The goal this week is to get the Pats to put as many of their options on the table for study and to get through the game healthy. NEXT week is the must win game. The Pats will be in the playoffs, lets not make this game so important that we blow the opportunity to beat them at a later date.

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    While i agree next week is more important,we still have to beat them not only for our confidence but also with the weakness of our second half schedule the chance we can get homefield .we dont need to worry about what we show them or what they show us,we need to worry about beating them so we know we can.

17. pitterpatter

pitterpatter New Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Thought this was interesting:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/10/di ... -polamalu/

Seems Lebeau utilized a new dime scheme in the Tennessee game that gets puts 6 defensive backs on the field and has Polamalu in the box. The pass defense has been better this year, and I wonder if this is why.

I'd still like to get Farrior off the field (maybe replaced by McFadden for coverage or Hayward for pressure) in obvious passing situations, but I don't see it happening.

18. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am one of the biggest steeler fans on the planet, but I have seen the pats dominate us year in and year out. I had the good fortune of seeing it in person last year ( what a lousy night). some teams just match up better against some teams. It seems to me the pats were built to beat us because they have everything it takes. they spread us out and throw it all over the field. I remember a game several years ago they just gave up on the run and threw the ball 70+ times. Some games I dread and this is one of them. sad thing about it is, I will still put everything on the steelers this week. I have already gave a buddy of mine 7 points

19. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    OI freely admit, I am not defensive genius.... However, I do not believe that Foote and Farrior cannot cover NE's speedy wbs or mini-rbs. Therefore, let's use them to blitz in some stunts.

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This would be a perfect game for Curtis Brown to show up in!!!!!!!!

21. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Let`s see...
    If N`gata, AND Seymore can punch Ben in the face, and NOT get suspended...
    How `bout we just suit up Worilds, or Sylvester(whoever packs the bigger punch, and ain`t gonna play anyway)...
    And send them over during pre-game warm ups, to knock Marcia on her arse, with a concussion? :blackeye:
    If we are gonna be labeled a "dirty" team, anyhow, why don`t we just show `em what "dirty", really is?!?! :evil: :butcher: :cool:
    Just kidding...Not realistic,
    But a part of me would really love to see that! :popcorn: :rawk:

22. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The rushers need to get their hands up high in passing lanes too. If they can't get to him, tipping the ball with that many cover guys could be huge. If only our defense weren't playing with frying pans on the ends of their wrists.

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    KVO brady. put welker to sleep. rip an arm or two off of grankowski. then maybe they will get the message we are sending. :shrug: :cool: