1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Preseason

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Aug 17, 2018.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Two posts capsulizing the CBA negotiations :lolol:

2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I watched the Eagles vs Patriots the other night. Bill Belichick disagrees. His team ends up in the Super Bowl every year.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah and Bill lost his first round pick Wynn to injury in that game :facepalm:.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    oh man, I remember that one too. Good example. Talk about going into a game with high expectations...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Yeah, and he continues to play the starters regardless. Injuries happen. You can't predict or prevent them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    BB has never let rookies sit on the bench in fear of them getting injured, besides Without Wynn, the Patriots still have adequate tackle depth.

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think it really depends on player preference when it comes to a guy like Brady or Ben or AB, etc. AB is gonna be ready to go game 1. So will Ben. They’ve been in the league long enough and participate all throughout the training camp process (cough Bell). If Brady thinks he needs a few extra reps in preseason, good on him. That’s his process.

It’s not like we’re resting every starter. Just Ben, AB, and Heyward. The young guys were all out there, the starting defense was out there. Starting O Line was out there.

Bill Bellichick isn’t a great coach because he plays his vet starters 4 extra series every preseason, and his team doesn’t make it to the SB every year because of it either. Suggesting a correlation between the two seems pretty ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't have any problem with Ben resting to this point. He should get a good bit of work in game 3. The one thing I'd consider doing a little differently than Tomlin is that I might give Ben a quarter or so in the last preseason game because Ben always seems to struggle his first game back from a layoff. I'd think about whether the potential increased risk of injury to Ben and the starting o-line (because no way in hell is Ben out there without all of the best healthy protectors) is worth keeping the rust off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    We will find out, they lost Solder to free agency and the draft pick who was supposed to replace him.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben isn't playing in game 4, there will be backups mostly on the O-line.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And Ben will be rusty when we play Cleveland. But hopefully healthy. Damned if you do dammed if you don’t.

12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I dont think these new school players are made of the same fabric as the old skool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

Actually, the problem is the new school players are made of bigger, heavier, stronger, and faster fabric than the old school players. And as a result, the game is inherently more dangerous now than it was 50 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Actually, the league has watered football down to a pansy game. Yeah, they are bigger, faster, and heavier ... but, if a simple breeze blow in their direction .. they are out with an injury for weeks .. sometimes the whole season. Every player that was on the field ... was considered a football player. Even down to the kicker. QBs and Wr's would get punished. But, not today. Helmet to helmet, cant touch the QB, cant touch wr after 5yds, dont line up over the center, steams doesn't even exist anymore, penalized for celebrating after a score. I could go on and on ...

15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    This statement is a fallacy. Go back 20 years ago to 1998. Are players really that much bigger, stronger, and faster? No. They arent. This is a straw man argument that gets made more often than it should. Also keep in mind that helmets and equipment are made far better than they once were. Keep in mind that field turf is 100% SAFER than it once was. Keep in mind that the medical care players receive now is light years ahead of what it once was. I would argue that 50 years ago the game was twice as dangerous, and twice as violent. Go back and watch some old Steelers Raiders games and come back and tell me how the game is more dangerous now.

16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Maybe there is no correlation between Bill Belichick's pre-season strategy and winning a Super Bowl. But there is a correlation between Bill Belechick's pre-season strategy and the Patriots not looking like chit for the first 2 weeks of every season.

17. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

First of all, I said 50 years ago, which is right around the era of when steroids started. Twenty years ago it was in full use throughout the league. Secondly, the NFL disagrees with you, as is evidenced by their own article on the subject, as well as here. Thirdly, while field turf and equipment have come a long way, they are not "100" percent safer, as you state. That is just hyperbole. If it was, there wouldn't be any more concussions And medical care is a reaction, not a prevention, so not really sure how that makes the game any less dangerous.
    Did players get away with cheaper, dirtier play back then? Absolutely. But no amount of forearm shivers, eye gouging, and leg twisting would equal the punishment that today's players receive by running into bigger, faster and denser opposition. I agree the game back then was more violent, but that had to be phased out, or we would end up with more players with sad stories like Mike Webster's and Earl Campbell's, just by virtue of the increase in body mass of the average NFL player, as is evidenced by this article.
    Was the game more entertaining back them? Probably. Was it socially and morally irresponsible? Most likely. Were the men that played the game back then more "player" than those of today? No, they weren't. They were just either: oblivious to the long-term damage they were doing to their bodies by playing through injuries, or they just didn't care, or quite possibly, were afraid to admit they were hurt for fear of losing their only chance at making a good living. That didn't make them more of "player" than their modern day counterparts, it just made them more foolish and less fortunate.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Thirdly, while field turf and equipment have come a long way, they are not "100" percent safer, as you state. I never said equipment was 100% safer. I said field turf was, and it is. 100% maybe an a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much. Ive played on both (played on one coached on the other). The old astro turf was a nightmare. The new field turf is heads and tails safer.

If it was, there wouldn't be any more concussions. Heres where you are dead wrong. You are never going to eliminate concussions no matter what level of prevention you take. The risk of head injury is there in all sport. I coached hoops for 10 years. I have seen more concussions on the basketball court than you could even imagine.

Did players get away with cheaper, dirtier play back then? Absolutely. But no amount of forearm shivers, eye gouging, and leg twisting would equal the punishment that today's players receive by running into bigger, faster and denser opposition. As you said this is just hyperbole.

Was it socially and morally irresponsible? To answer your question no it wasnt. The first thing they give you when you sign up for football is a helmet. Maybe that aught to be your first clue that you might get hit in the head playing this sport.

Were the men that played the game back then more "player" than those of today? Here I agree with you. The players back then were very much the same as they are today. Which is part of my point.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You are a billionaire and own an NFL team. You make good money off it. Life is good. You make a settlement with fellow owners pooling $1billion for disabled former players. A few years later that money is used up and the pot needs more money. Or you go to court, fight it and lose.

Your lawyer says to you this could get expensive. You better look like your making a effort to protect your employees. You listen to your lawyer.

20. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

Look, I think you and I agree on more than you realize. The rules of the game back then allowed for a much more violent sport, and that violence certainly resulted in short term and long term injuries. But my point was that by virtue of the players being bigger, stronger, and faster, that means today's game is inherently more dangerous. in the same way that collisions between mack trucks are inherently more dangerous than those between bumper cars, and only rule changes have mitigated that.

21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That Pats are 15-5 in the first 2 games the last 10 seasons (.75 win percentage) which is right about in line with their overall win percentage in that time frame (.76).

The Steelers are 13-7 in the first two games during the last 10 seasons (.66 win percentage), which is also right in line with their win percentage over that time frame (.65).

The fact of the matter is that the numbers show that there really isn’t any correlation at all between preseason strategy and the first two weeks, so it seems. The Pats apparently are a game and a half better per season than the Steelers this past decade, and they are about the same rate better in games one and two.

We have certain expectations as fans, but the truth is that most of the time the team gets better as the season progresses. The same goes for the mighty pats. You don’t need to be super bowl ready weeks 1 and 2, you have to be weeks 18-21

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope that isn't true. I hope there is a lot more to come with this defense than what we are seeing in the preseason. This is why I don't care about preseason scores. You have to evaluate talent using fluff, score be damned! If we have to lose all preseason to find what works, that is all that is important to me. If we are having this same discussion in week 2, I will be concerned at that time.

• Like Like x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I'm a negative nancy but going by stats we have been improving as a defense every year under butler.

so last 2 under lebeau dipped, then butler took over and it has increased.

There is hope but just like Heinz says, Ben might be gone by the time it is ready.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    This last game in Green Bay may have been pre-season but seemed very similar to our last playoff game in that we cannot stop anybody from scoring.

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012