1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Preseason games. Who plays QB??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, Jun 12, 2024.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Usually your starter doesn't play much. But this year there will be two high profile QBs that will have to carry most of the snaps. Make this preseason much more interesting no?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    If they are serious about a qb competition, both wilson n fields need to be showcased exclusively. Unless our 3 stringer outplays both of them.

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    All of them

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Kenny Pickett was really good in preseason. Guess that proves how utterly useless it is.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Perfect actually.

6. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I'm not worried about who plays QB in preseason. Only Plumlee hasn't taken NFL snaps. OL and blocking schemes are more important to work on in live fire football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe You can actually tell things from preseason. If you really think about it preseason didn't lie to us about KFP.....if He didn't have to read a D ...., and had His 1st read....He was good, and if He didn'tsee much zone. It was everything else that was bad, but if You go back, and watch....it didn't lie to us. I believe if We see R. Wilson play very little it will mean they've seen enough, and He will be the starter. JMO, bur I expect to see a lot of Fields, and His backup.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    hope you get the reference!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    @S.T.D Thought I might hear about that one from the powers that be. I gotta stop posting at night!!!

10. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I predict RW plays very little. The job is his.

Fields will see significant time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    IMG_0443.gif

12. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    If the job is his, then I don't understand why he wouldn't start the 1st half in preseason games? Makes no sense to give Fields most of the snaps, he's only going to play during the season if Wilson gets injured. With a new team and system, Wilson needs reps with the projected starters way more than Fields does

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    They only have 1 starter, Russell Wilson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Their isn't one.

Wilson is the starter will get more then a couple of snaps. Fields will work with the 2s and 3s then Allen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    He probably played against guys who didn't make the team.

16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Could we have Josh instead of Kyle;) Actually I'm pulling for Plumlee he is taller then Wilson;) Just goofing around but that name 'Plumlee" sounds like a winner.

Hell with Pickett to Pickens how bout Plumlee to Pickens.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Could be a few reasons for this.
    1. R. Wilson has played along time, and while verbiage is different....there are only so many plays, and that can be worked out in camp.
    2. He maybe our only legitimate Qb....hate to lose that in a preseason game.
    3. They would like to see something out of Fields before making a decision on the future, and if R. Wilson holds down his end of the bargain.....the preseason maybe the only place to see Fields.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Sure, my comment of very little didn’t mean none at all. But I don’t expect him to play more than KP did last year or Ben did in his later years.

19. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I hear what you're saying, working things out in practice is one thing, but working them out in a real game is quite another

No maybe about it, Wilson IS our only QB. All it takes is one play to end a guys season or even career, so I don't believe in "saving" a player in fear of him getting injured, even if he's your "new" 36 year old starting QB. It would be a different case with Ben of course, he knew the players and system like the back of his hand, so he could get away with less reps in preseason games. Wilson doesn't have that luxury

I actually wouldn't mind seeing what Fields could do as a starter, but the only way that will happen is if Wilson gets injured, or completely ****s the bed

• Like Like x 1
  20. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Every report I read from OTAs on Fields was not flattering. He apparently struggled at every step.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The terminology used is that Wilson is in the poles position. I never heard that used until this offseason but it’s the same verbiage that caused Kenny to split. The idea is he is the starter and will get the majority of reps with the starters.

He’d have to play really bad in preseason or Fields so good they have no choice but to start him in order for Wilson to lose the job. I think we only see Fields this year if Wilson is ineffective during the season. Which I think is not out of the question. You listen to Broncos fans and I swear it sounds like they are talking about Pickett. The big difference of course is 26 TD’s but a lot of running out of the pocket, lot of off target throws, 3 and out 3 and out 3 and out connect on a long bomb 3 and out 3 and out 3 and out connect on a long bomb. Also how many of those TD’s were garbage time, Denver played from behind a lot.

Not saying he won’t be better than Picket, would be hard not to be but I don’t have much excitement about him either other than hoping Smiths offense revises his game.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Yeah, but that's the one responsible for the kielbasa. We're talking about the quarterback.

Pickett has a wife, so he obviously doesn't like the kielbasa.

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I bet both Fields and Wilson will get adequate time. They will want to see Smith's offense in "games" and see how the QB's react to it. I would assume Fields plays a bit more than Wilson, as I believe he starts the year as the backup and we are trying to develop him anyways.... but there is no reason to treat Wilson like Ben. Give him some reps. Let him take a bit of command of the offense prior to the season and try to get him in mid-season form as quickly as we can

24. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Without pads this is not a good sign.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Very measured response. Wilson is the starter. So perhaps Fields doesn't figure into the steelers plans for next year? This QB room still worries me

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1