1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Preparing with Batch

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I read on steelers.com that Max Starks said they are preparing as if Batch would be the QB, but if Ben is ready on Monday he will play. If this is true (I always suspect a little disinformation In these interviews), it will be interesting to see the game plan on Monday, as I would hope that planning for Batch to play would be a much different game plan than a plan for Ben to play.

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Quick timing routes... or should be. Batch doesn't have the arm nor escape ability to play Arians' long ball offense.

And, of course, feature the run heavily.

The beauty of this is: if Ben CAN play, the gameplan should be the same anyway. We cannot afford to have him hit too often.

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    yep hope batch can hit wallace on some 4 yard slants and then wallace takes it to the house

4. 43FOLyfe!

43FOLyfe! Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Like I said before, see what happens when the Chargers play the Ravens and then plan from that point.

5. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not neccessarily: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9SBlm1i ... detailpage

6. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We should prioritize getting a new backup QB in the off season. I like Charlie and he'll make a fine coach someday but we need someone younger, stronger, and more talented to back up Ben in the future.

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Ben will play, I have no doubts. If Charlie does play, I still have confidence in him, he came right into that game and fired a rifle to Jerricho C. which hit him right in the hands and he dropped it, other than that Charlie had zero time to throw, not exactly his fault.

8. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The Niners are going to bring the house every chance they get whether we have a healthy Charlie Batch or a hobbled Ben Roethlisberger under center.

9. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    if Bens plays, which i think he will, i would imagine we will see a lot of shotgun formations or the pistol formation. not that Ben will run from the pistol, but its a little easier to still use your rb in that formation than from the shotgun.

if we learned anything from Ben getting hurt and Batch playing is that without Ben this team will go nowhere. i know Batch was thrown in the game without warning, but the fact that he is old and cant move and doesnt have much arm strength anymore would not change with more time to prepare.

10. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    :this!:

11. Steel Acorn

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree that a gameplan designed for Batch would be ideal for a hobbled Ben, but I fear that they will spend all week planning for Batch, then have Ben play and go back to a scrambling, backyard style that will get him killed -lots of empty sets and long ball, when they have not practiced that all week. It is what Ben and Arians like to do. But, if they do that, at least Batch will be better prepared to come in.

12. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That pass was late, underthrown, and should have been picked. The DB at a minimum could have and should have at least knocked it down instead of bumping it up to Wallace for him to catch. The DB should get credit for an assist like in basketball on that one. I'm not sure we want to put this up as an example of CB's great arm and throwing prowess. This just shows that the Steelers got lucky on that play and the ball bounced in our favor. If anything, I see a good example of why CB should not be throwing bombs to Wallace - late throw and underthrown.

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I see your point Knox, but I think Batch still has the arm to go downfield. What he needs is a solid line blocking, and Wallace to get separation. I don't think those things will happen, which is why we won't see him going long if he plays.

14. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    There is zero chance Batch makes it trhu the enitre game. I would go with Dixon.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Swap them in and out play by play, like the Cowboys did at one point in the 70's.

16. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Give Dixon the start. At the very least, he will be motivated to build his resume and a winning performance against SF is a good start. Batch is too old, slow and weak. Playing Ben risks our chances he will play in the playoffs, since all of SF will go after his ankle. I would only play Ben if has healed to the point of being mobile enough to avoid getting hit.

17. hi0

hi0 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I'd like to think that with a week preparation Batch should be able to manage the game well enough. Hopefully Arians can keep the big play calls to a minimum and minimize Batch's role in the offense. Dixon SHOULD be a capable backup, but hasn't proved himself to this point. Still, I think he deserves a nod over Batch, who played awful in spot duty last week (even though it was unexpected).

18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Either way, we need to run the darn ball! Effectively, I might add. I put Charlie playing at .1% odds. Ben came back in, he'll have them tape it up, shoot him full of pain meds and go out there an kick 49er butt.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree and am more worried about pouncey playing. if pouncey plays legs goes back to LG and you know who doesn't get on the field. :kemo: :cool:

20. Steel Acorn

Oct 17, 2011
    Sounds like what everyone was saying about our defense after week 1.

21. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I'll be at the game and I would really like to see Ben and Pouncey play; but, looking long term we need both healthy for the playoffs. Therefore I hope they don't push to get back to soon and further injure themselves. I would bee happy with Charlie starting and Dixon backing him up instead of and injured Ben and no Pouncey.It would be nice to win the division and have homefield throughtout but w/o Ben were screwed.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think that most people will be suprised how well CB can play
    if he has some time to prepare and gets some reps in practice.
    Lets not forget when everybody wrote him off last year during #7 suspension, he came in
    and won 3 games for us. Rest # 7 this week, save him for the playoffs when we will need him.

23. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That's the only point I was trying to make. Yes the pass could have been intercepted but if it was thrown any longer the catch may have been out of the endzone. Batch's arm strength isn't a problem. If he has a good week of prep leading up to the game he'll perform much better than he did against the Browns. Unlike Ben he seems to understand the routes better and releases the ball quicker. At least that's what I saw last year when he subbed for Ben those 1st 4 games.

24. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And, no offense to Charlie, but I would rather he took the beating than Ben :eek: