1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

pre-season wk. 3........ postgame observations

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    If we run into a team like Philly, in the regular season, we are probably going to lose.
    If we run up against them in the Superbowl, we have a chance not to lose...
    That other team in PA is pretty damn good.
    They made us look bad, but, I have a feeling they are gonna make a lot of other teams look pretty bad, too...
    They have a lot of weapons, spread the ball around a lot, they can run the ball, pass the ball, and, as much, as I hate to say it... Pretty much manhandled our defensive front...
    They ran the ball at will... misdirected us, every time they showed a play going one way, then, went the other...
    used "play action", or some other form of deception, to get our defense flowing one way, then went the other way...
    They are a nightmare for ANY defense... I have to tip my hat to Chip Kelley, and what he has done over there, in Philly...
    I think that`s what Haley, and Tomlin want to do here, but without the "tempo"...
    We aren`t far from it, when we go "no huddle", but we really only have "HEEAAATTH", Instead of 3 tight ends, that are that damn good...
    Sorry, but Spaeth, and Branchflower, just don`t really compare, to their number 2 and 3 tight ends...
    I already forget their names, but they did good, even when we covered them well...
    I did like, that we limited the damage, when their RB`s broke loose, up until the 4th qtr...
    Basically, we gotta score points, to compete with anyone in todays NFL...
    We failed miserably at that....
    We committed to a running game, early, which we ALSO need to do...
    And we stuck with it...
    We gave Martavis Bryant, and Markus Wheaton every chance we could, for them to show what they could do...
    Pretty dissapointed in those results...
    DHB impressed late in the game, but he was going against 3d stringers...
    Not very impressed with last night`s effort, overall, but I could see what we were working on, on offense, and I think a LOT of defenses are gonna have a hard time stopping Philly`s offense.
    I think they are sort of the model we are working towards...
    Maybe not so much with the tempo(even tho the no huddle helps that)...
    But, with them showing you the same set, and running multiple plays, from it...
    That`s something we can do, as well...
    I haven`t seen us do it as well as them yet, but the potential is there...
    And with the rules that are in place now.. It is REALLY hard to shut an offense down. Including ours.
    When we HAD to do it, they couldn`t stop Antonio, or Heath...
    They just had more weapons than us, right now.
    I ain`t skurd... We will whoop the Clown`s ass, and get in a fight with Balt, the Thurs, after...
    And start 2-0, in the division!!!
    HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO!!!:herewego!:

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    They weren't running no huddle.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah that's what I thought, no huddle is great in short bursts for Ben.

4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Seemed Ben was really off! He had no real commitment to the play fake, over and under-throws....

What is going on with the D-line? over-penetrating on run plays and not getting anything on pass plays?

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In my opinion I think the defense got over excited. The young guys maybe got worried about the Keisel thing and wanted to get some good stuff on tape. You saw guys breaking backside contain to be the guy that drops Mccoy for a loss and then he kicks in the afterburners and makes them look slow. They were tackling up high, falling for play fakes, just seemed to show their youth in there.

Edit: I also think Ben was in a very bad place in regards to being team leader and having those two idiots and having to say something but really can't given his past, So I don't think he was in the right mind set

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    In the 3rd game of the 2010 preseason, the Steelers looked like **** and lost to the Broncos 34-17. Season results- made SB.

in the 3rd game of the 2008 preseason, the Steelers looked mediocre and won 12-10 with 4 Jeff Reed FGs. Season result- won SB.

in the 3rd game of the 2005 preseason, the Steelers lost to the Redskins 17-10. Season result- won SB.

in the 3rd game of the 2012 preseason, the Steelers won 38-7. Season results- missed playoffs.

In game 3 of the 2009 season, the Steelers won 17-0. Season result- missed playoffs

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm looking at those stats, but you know we all just want to see solid performances when they get out there on game-days. Is it too much to ask that they actually look like they have a plan? Maybe actually set up some plays like they used to?

8. Frick32

Frick32 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Don't get me wrong...they didn't look very good at all. That being said, how many times was AB, Heath, Bell targeted in the first half. I know Bell had a few runs but really no drop off passes, etc.

I believe Ben went to his 3rd or 4th reads knowing what he already has in AB and Heath. He was trying to see what he has in the other guys.

Then when it came to the scoring drive...they made it look easy when AB and Heath were the primary targets.

9. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

exactly Ike is going to bury this team all by himself, when teams need the 1st down they'll be aiming at Ike. This team is stuck in idle with Ike,Troy and Gay back there and with Lebeau still running the same boring plays. Get ready for another .500 season if we're lucky

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe, if they want to call it so much, get rid of the automatic first down. Nothing worse than a ticky tack penalty on 3rd and long keeping drives alive

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nice one.

I'll add: In game 3 of 2014, the Steelers lost to the Eagles 31-21. Season result: Won SB :yeehaw:

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    How'd I miss that one?

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Karnak? Is that you?! LOL.