1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

PRE COMBINE MOCK

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Feb 2, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't usually do this but I have had some time and decided I would have some fun. Now some of these guys might be out of place but I use a few different mocks to have some kind of base to go off of. Anyways here it goes:

1 #20 Byron Murphy Washington CB
    2 #52 Nasir Adderley Delaware S
    3 #83 Deebo Samuel South Carolina WR
    4 #115 Khalen Saunders Western Illinois DT
    6 #161 Garrett Bradbury North Carolina St C
    6 #179 Oli Udog Elon OT
    7 #196 Charles Omenihu Texas DE

FA Signings:

QB: Blough and/or McSorley
    OG: Alex Bars ND
    OT: Landon Young Kent.
    RB: Brossette LSU, Holyfield Geo., Scott Mich St(any of these)
    TE: Drew Sample Wash.
    FB: Alec Ingold Wisc.
    CB: Jimmy Moreland JMU
    WR: Jesper Horsted Princeton

I used Draft site mostly for my placing of players so if a guy is in the wrong round I just went by where they had em ranked....I am no expert. Just having some fun in the "off Time"

• Like Like x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Switch out Daylon Mack for Saunders in rd 4. Also no OLB help :shrug:

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I like Mack but he didn't fit the spot where we drafted also OLB was an issue but you can't fix everything in one draft. I am looking at fa for OLB but I really want a kid in this draft too. I tried to go by what others had in spots as I really don't know where guys are slotted.

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They better do something for OLB help, Chickillo is a FA and isn't that good, let him walk they need a upgrade. Ola is unproven, they should use a high draft pick on a OLB, then let Dupree leave in 2020.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I like this FA class a ton and I feel Barr could be a guy we target if we let Dupree go, I posted about this in another thread. I know you don't like him but I think Matthews is a nice fit for us. He can play inside and out and won't block a young guy when/if we draft one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see the Steelers going after a 33 or 34 year old Matthews.

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I never said they were this is MY opinion on what I would do. I think Clay still has something left and if we were to draft a guy he wouldn't block him. JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Nice job. Mocks are tough and pre combine are even tougher because stocks rise and fall greatly based on the underwear olympics. That being said I'm gonna tear yours apart.....just kidding.
    I would sign for your first 4 picks. No ILB,no OLB? Sometimes the chips don't fall where you like,I understand that. At the end of the day it doesn't matter where guys were picked. If you can pull 3 or 4 eventual starters out of a draft you've done well. I think you did that with your first 4 alone. Maybe not Saunders but he would be a great rotational piece.

Couple thoughts I'm tossing around in my head. Feel free to agree or disagree. I will admit I'm not sure of their perceived slots either. Omenihu I seen in one mock went to NE at 32. So I think he might be in higher regard than that. On paper he does seem like that type of NE tweener that simply overachieves by being allowed to play to his strengths and put in a position to just do one thing really well. I wish I could say that about our situation. I would be all over Holyfield as a UDFA mostly for selfish reasons. I'd be the first on line got a Holyfield jersey. Huge fan of his pops. Besides that though I like his skill set and has low mileage on his legs. He would be a perfect piece to close out games. He runs angry....I've seen him ranked in the top 7 -10 in RBs. I don't really know if top 10 doesn't end up getting drafted. I wouldn't hesitate to use one of our 6ths or a 7 th if he was still available. I think he goes no later than 5 ....imo. Hope I'm wrong.

Depending on what happens with AB it could turn our draft a little upside down. In my scenario I say he's still here. If that is indeed the case I'm looking at a guy like Pratt in that third spot or Hanks in the 3rd or 4th. I think we need to come out of this draft with at least a ILB or OLB,if not both. If AB does stay and WR isn't as high a need then a guy that has piqued my interest is Mecole Hardman Jr. from Georgia. I think he could end up being a real nice slot and gadget guy for us. KO and PR as well. He would replace Switzer in a year and give us that motion and jet sweep guy out of the backfield that a lot of teams are incorporating and that we don't have. Eye candy in the backfield seems to be a popular and growing strategy. Most likely gone no later than the 5th but if not. I think he has a nice role on this team.

Like I said I could be way off on some of these guys for sure. Just tossing out what's going on in my scrambled brain :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If Adderley is available in the Second Round, that would be a dream. Same goes for Charles from Texas. Agree with the mock though.

I have no issues double dipping for secondary assistance. Byron is a bridge for both present and future. Nasir finally allows Tomlin to play three safeties rather than two. Deebo Samuel is an explosive playmaker in his own right the same. Should AB truly be traded before then, he is a nice piece to have on the offense.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks for the comments, I just wanted to have some fun with seeing who I would draft going off other mocks. I agree some of these guys are misplaced but I didn't place them, for example they had TJ Edwards in the 7th so I didn't choose him cause I am a big fan but think he is 2nd or 3rd rounder.

As for ILB/OLB like I said to another poster I really like the OLB class in FA but I want to draft one as well. This just didn't work out in this mock, as for ILB well Hanks was there in the 4th and I should have picked him but this past weeks senior bowl got me liking Saunders.

Also like you say we don't know what the AB deal is so I drafted as itis right now and him being on the team. Look into the Horsted kid he could be a diamond in the rough for us.

This mock is gonna change so much but like I said pre combine and I don't do this for a living just for fun. I like hearing what others say about prospects and even ones they like or whould have taken. It is all fun my man :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    They will definitely have to draft a G/C if they move on from Foster. Bradbury would be a great pick up in the 6th. I think he goes higher but you never know.

Rounds 1, 2 and 3 would be killer. But its tough for me on seeing them get another safety in the draft. If Burnett leaves, I see them getting another one in FA though.

Adrian Amos would be my top choice but I doubt it happens. Wanted Tre Boston last year, so he or Adrian Phillips may be targets. I think they see Edmunds and Davis as starters and are not looking to upgrade so hence my Adrian Amos pessimism. They'll look for a depth add.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This attitude by the team may be the key issue that prevents our defense from improving. Davis can, and should, be upgraded. I’d love to get Tre Boston. This will be my 3rd straight offseason with him on my wish list. Instant upgrade from Davis in football smarts/instincts and playmakiing capability. He’s a proven talent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Been right there with ya on the Boston bandwagon, liked this kid when he was in the draft and wish he was here. I however don't feel we need an upgrade of Davis because I feel he can play. I feel scheme is a major problem with all our guys back there. Also if MT is putting his touches of this D don't that mean we need 3 safeties? He wants to run this "dollar" defense like what the Chargers ran vs the Rats using 3 safeties, so we will need another safety back there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t get what people see in Davis. Yes, as a single high safety he has some range and can stay deep and be a deterrent to deep throws down the middle. Is that really a major benefit if that’s all he brings? How many game changing plays has he made in his career? There are very few. I can recall 1 interception this season where he actually made a good play on the ball. I can remember several awful plays that changed games for the worse, including the horrid “play” on the ball where he dislodged an Int from Haden, which may have lost the Chargers game, an awful angle/whiff on Sanu in the Atlanta game to give them an easy TD, and a completely blown coverage on Kamara when he had man responsibility that set up a late Saints score. None of these were scheme related. They were just flat out poor play. He doesn’t balance the mistakes out with big positive plays. It’s just a mix of OK play with occasional big screw ups. That’s not enough. Boston provides better coverage, better tackling, fewer big screw ups AND the big turnovers. I don’t want Davis to be cut. I think he can provide value as a 3rd or 4th safety with versatility to play in the box or deep. However, I don’t think he’s the guy we want in one of the most important positions in our defense. That’s a recipe for continued futility IMO. We can do better, and should do better.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Don't get me wrong I am not happy with the results of his play however I was a big fan of this kid coming out of college. The kid does have ball skills but like I said I feel our scheme is holding back these players. Prime example Mitchell, I thought the guy was washed up couldn't cover anyone and was slow as slow can be. Now look at him he has turned into a serviceable player for the colts, not great but serviceable. Can you imagine a player like Davis with skills how he would play? Our safeties look confused back there and not everyone can be bad right? I love Boston as well and would welcome him with open arms but until the scheme gets fixed imo we are patching holes with duct tape. jmo

16. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    In the words of Ric Flair...."WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

• Like Like x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I like Deebo but I have a feeling he will be 2nd round material by the time the draft gets here. With that said have we ever had success with a 2nd round wr???????? :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I was late to the party on Adderly. And he's a bit of a tough evaluation due to lack of film and competition but....

Looks like a 1st round pick to me.

I love CGJ from Florida but Adderly may be even better, especially as a single high FS. The kid is so tough and so strong too. His athleticism can't be missed either.

Highly productive. Highly athletic. Can play single high FS. I see SS and nickel CB traits as well.

I think if we really wanted him we would have to take him at #20 or slide down a few picks and grab him.

He reminds me of a stronger Budda Baker who I loved a couple of years ago and went #36. I think Adderly is even better.

Are the Steelers prepared to admit to a Sean Davis mistake and take the type of FS so many of us covet? Hmmmmm

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt Adderley will be there for the Steelers in the second round.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Depends. Doing so would buck a ocean's worth of Steelers trends historically. Namely though, these are the big three.

For one, are the Steelers prepared to take a small school defensive player for the first time since 1988?! That was the last time a small school defensive player was selected. His name? Aaron Jones; Defensive End from Eastern Kentucky.

For two, Bud Dupree is the only Senior defensive player ever drafted in the last 20 years. Pittsburgh, for better or worse, loves the undergraduates. Beyond Bud Dupree, dating back to the AFL-NFL Merger, I am not even certain if Pittsburgh has taken any Senior defensive player sans Bud Dupree. :eek:

For three and, most importantly, Pittsburgh has only selected defensive players within the same position group (i.e. Linebackers, Defensive Lineman) once. The last time? Ryan Shazier and Jarvis Jones; 2013-2014 respectively. Prior to them? Never.

All of this has to do with the rich history Pittsburgh has had selecting the undergrads. Again, for better or worse. To me though, should Nasir be the final BPA option, he would be one heck of an outlier.

21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Nice work AQL. I tend to agree with you that I doubt Adderly would be an option for the Steelers at #20.

Just doesn't fit the mold and tradition of what they normally do.

Too bad though, he could be a great one.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I think Adderly could be there at #20 but I agree with 6 that he will not be there for our 2nd pick. Especially if he has a nice combine he will climb up, the Pack and Rams could be spots at the end of the first with their needs due to FA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011

Two Dawgs in the 6th....Holyfield and Hardman

• Like Like x 1