1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pouncey to remove sticker on the back of helmet

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015

• Like Like x 3
  2. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I am glad that Pouncey is being upfront about the fact that he is doing this and why. I support any player who follows his conscience. Since the Steelers are fine with it that is the end of the issue so far as I am concerned. I do wish Villanueva had been as upfront about his choice as I think it would have not looked as much like dissent among the players if he had.

I imagine this won't be open very long. I tried very hard to avoid politics and hope that I did.

3. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    also

Steelers cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick on Thursday said players "talked briefly" about the helmets and a name, but the decision to put Rose's name on the helmets was "mostly made by everyone upstairs" and not through a team vote.

"It was mostly made from people upstairs and everything else like that," Fitzpatrick said Thursday. "Don't know exactly who. Don't know exactly how. But we did. We knew that we were going to have somebody on the back of our helmets, and it wasn't exactly clear on what it was going to be. It was mostly made by everyone
    upstairs." - ESPN article

Kind of an odd situation. I'm not trying to be political or anything. Just is relevant to the team and more so the front office and ownership

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    That's all I read about, And that's all anyone is talking about...This **** is more important than Football...Wonder why people are turning away

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    The media run and spin this week on this issue has all the ingredients for a dumpster fire. Hope they put it out quick and who knows where it goes from here? if individual players are going to start getting emboldened and posterizing personal preferences week to week it could very well cause issues amongst the ranks top to bottom... Especially if players start to come out pointing fingers

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    As long as the players are together on it, I don’t care about the suits.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is my concern. They don't all seem to be on the same page.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Good for Pouncey.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I not sure the players care to be putting names on their helmets. Anyone familiar with BLM movement knows they aren’t interested in token gestures. This is coming from the top like Minkah indicated.

I suspected this would blow up in the NFL’s face. I’m sure locker rooms throughout the league are experiencing the same.

11. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    No they don't...IF,It starts to become a White vs Black thing...White players vs Black players opinion wise, It's gonna get bad, real bad...And the way this f******year has went...And the way the media " seems to get off on the division amongst " races...Who knows!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm actually on the fence of all this. I believe black lives matter. I also know there is racism (both ways) and there are bad cops just like bad doctors, lawyers, and priests. We're simply human and flawed. All of us. We need to come together and find a way to make this a better place for all. BLM had, and I repeat HAD, the potential to do that if it actually was focused on making black lives better. But unfortunately, it has become more about hate and retribution than hope and positive change. I don't think saying that is wrong. Hopefully not.

I applaud Pouncey for stepping forward and taking responsibility for himself and his place in this. I don't think Al really needed to say anything, however, if this actually did come more from above than from at the player level. It now seems that he did NOT deviate from his teammates. Thank goodness.

But this has disaster written all over it and creates some glaring questions that won't ever get answered.

Who made the decision? Why was it passed off as the will of the players? How in the holy hell did someone think that putting this person's name on the helmets without knowing the facts first was a good idea? If I could immediately get the facts and know this was not a name to be lifted up in praise, why couldn't they?

I read in an article about Al's decision that he might be reprimanded by the league because the name he put on his helmet was not on the approved name list. So am I to believe that the NFL approved Antwon Rose for display? If so, there is an even greater issue than the Steelers' helmets.

Sorry, I know I'm not supposed to discuss this stuff here. But this involves the Steelers. This involves the league. And this will have ramifications beyond this week. This is not the last we'll hear of this helmet issue.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The news typically gave a snipet saying Pouncy was going to put what ever he wanted on his helmet. I wrongly thought what a self centered jerk. Then I read his comment and totally support him.

I hate the news, or lack of it. Where is Walter Cronkite when we need him?

Antwon Rose was a piss poor choice anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My concern well not really concern but thought process is that if Tomlin wants the to decide as a team and be united about it or united in not doing anything it will be hard to get 63+ adults of different backgrounds to agree and will ultimately be united in not making a statement. In the case of AV his heart is in the right place but he needs to speak up and forcefully and passionately instead of breaking ranks again. The man volunteered for Afghanistan don't tell me he is scared of his teammates.

15. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Great post...What I would love to see ( I know ,who am I ) Is an actual PLANNED, sit down...Coaches, players, Commish, PREZ?.Police? ...Yes...

Have actual dialogue, Instead of he said/ she said...Ask the hard questions and answer them! Instead of hearsay and innuendo...

What can I do? ( All sides ) Roundtable discussion on platforms/ training/job hiring/ ...Real policies that can be implemented! Bring all the people TOGETHER who this is affecting...And enact CHANGE!

This Bull**** with kneeling/ riots/ names on helmets / isn't doing **** but causing further division! Quit dancing around the REAL issues! Racial unrest!

Lock your Butts in a room like grown Ass men and TALK...Face to Face! WITHOUT the stupid ass media spinning it to sell ratings and cause more hatred and division...

That's what I would suggest but............Will never happen, Just keep dancing around the real issue, and sadly Everything keeps getting worse!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Thats the hard part getting people to sit down and listen and be open about change. You have to get past people scoring cheap political points by inflaming the situation. You can have 10 people in a room snd 9 of them work towards a solution and there will always be one who wants reparations for 150 years of slavery and oppression before they move a muscle.

17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Thumbs up to Pouncey!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    These types of sensitive issues never end well. Right or wrong, they divide people, so when something as large and popular as the NFL gets involved, there's no hope in hell of it ending well.

I say good for Pouncey. Not so much because he reversed course, but that he's willing to stand up for what he believes in, even though it may not be a popular decision with the movement. Those decisions can be met with a lot of criticism, but Pouncey is doing what he believes in, and I have a ton of respect for that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Do you remember the Jonny Gammage incident?, Ray Seals cousin. That would be a good choice. This is the 25 year mark too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    That is the problem with society these days they do not do enough of their own research and they blindly follow the masses. A 5 minute google search and he would have understood what he was supporting. Make your own decision right then and there.

Best thing that this league should do is ban the political BS altogether.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    That's the motto of 2020... Division across all boundaries. All of it is political sad to say. Govt wants us fighting, big pharma wants us fighting, media/social media wants us fighting, corporations want mom and pop shops shut down etc...

Like everything else, titles that have merit appeal and are hijacked over and over perverting the supposed intended mission. It's really that simple. People in power suck, people that continue to fall for the snake oil pitch from people in power suck... We suck!

Good on Pouncey. Good on AV. Bad on the league for pandering. Bad on the folks embracing another divisive platform meant to divide. While we're fighting, they're lighting up them cigars and back slapping over cold brew... Pathetic. I don't see this ending well.

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They tried that. It did not go well.

24. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Just for clarification brother... Meaning they tried to ban politics and it didn't go well?

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If Pouncey wants to put a name on the back of his helmet he should be able to do that.

It sounds like people were making him feel bad about it, and forced him to back step. Messed up man!