1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pouncey is retiring

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Oh, and OL needs to be at least 2 of the first 3 picks. They have ignored it for far too long. I said elsewhere I'd be fine if we used the first 5 picks there and I wasn't joking.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This draft is a great start to do so. Quite a bit of candidates to succeed Pouncey. My money is still on Humphrey.

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Do not worry. This team will not have a choice but to choose multiple Offensive Lineman this draft. As asinine as this sounds though, which round?!

Why do I say that?! Joe Haden is likely going bye bye. That means a big void at Cornerback. Jaycee Horn is the likely option as he has those coveted NFL Bloodlines the team loves so much.

4. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    This might mean Ben actually walks away but IDK that’s a lot of coin. Regardless the Steelers should make the decision for him if they are more interested in winning than loyalty . It’s over for this group time to rebuild the offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Make him the O Line Coach.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    They made a pact a few seasons ago ( rumor ) That they were gonna leave together...Let's hope...And take Tomlin with ya, a Trifecta!

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Please no. Nothing I have ever seen from says coaching material.

8. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The conversation that was reported Ben and Pouncey had after the game implies they are both done. Sad, but the era has come to an end.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015

Obviously that all depends on who is available.
    I'd do something like this and it includes losing in '21, esp with that tough schedule:

2020 aftermath: a bunch of guys leave, Ben, Pouncey, AV, Conner, Juju, Bud, Haden, Randy. Something like that.
    2021 off season: Hire new OC. Draft OL extremely hard with Dotson, DD and Feiler here. Sign TJ, Hilton, Sutton.
    - cont'd: there would be other picks. Maybe CB or DL or TE or RB, Fill roster as needed.
    2021 season: Mason gets full year, new OL gets full year, WRs look good, find RB for committee. Live with TEs for now.
    - cont'd: Watt, Highsmith, Bush get full year together. Use last year of Nelson.
    2022 draft/FA: We'll have some money. Sign Minkah, others. Tuitt, DD and/or Heyward possibly gone. Add TE, DL and CB.
    - cont'd: Draft or find a "Tannehill" if Mason is not the answer. Possibly GM/coaching changes. Start competing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As much as I would want to sign off on all you wrote, the issue is that the NFL Free Agency Period has yet to start and nevermind the Senior Bowl. Way too many unknowns at this point on who stays and who goes. For example, does the team extend Cameron Sutton and have Mike Hilton walk?! What about the development of Justin Layne?! Not just Corner but what about Zach Banner?! Re sign him too?!

11. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I wouldn't hurt if Pierre steps up and becomes a qualty guy. You gotta hit on guys like that sometimes. Makes things so much earlier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alleyboyz2121

Alleyboyz2121 Active Member

Jan 11, 2021
    Layne is terrible I think 42 gets his spot

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    Yeah, moving parts. They can pick one of Layne/Sutton if money is the issue. Both if possible. If Banner wants to come back cheap that's fine. I didn't mention him because he's very league averagish. The idea was to move on from many, rebuild hard for a year starting with OL, and fill in with draft/FA in '22. I think there's enough here that two offseasons can make a good team again.

In other words, rebuild, or retool if you like, around Watt, Bush, Minkah, Hilton, Claypool, DJ, and a strong OL. Or thereabouts. Don't be too literal with it since, sure, moving parts, and all.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Thanks for all memories Pouncey!You we’re a great Steeler!

• Like Like x 4
  15. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Pouncey and Ben don’t help the Steelers O any more. But even if the Steelers find effective replacements for both, that won’t fix the O in the short term.

Realistically we’re looking at a full-on rebuild on the Offensive side of the ball. Some of the young receivers look ok - although hardly great. Dotson showed promise. But beyond that, what is there? There’s no starting RB, they need 2 tackles and a center. They need a legit TE. They need a QB. And they need a #1 WR. It’s just such a mess.

It’s going to take at least a couple of years to fix the offense. I don’t see it being a short-term job. The only bright spot is the comp picks the Steelers should be getting in next year’s draft, which should help.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Apparently this is a false report

17. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Thanks Pouncey. The best play you made in the last two years was beating in Myles Garrett’s face after he swung the helmet at Mason. I am not joking.

He’s a tough guy, a junkyard dog. Although the beatdown vs Jacksonville and Cleveland, paired with the last ranked rushing attack disputes those things. Regardless, his (many) prior injuries zapped him, particularly 2015

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Dickerson is injured

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers lose, and OP shows up :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    KMA.:cool:

21. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    If this is it for him, he had a very good career. I would agree he was on the decline, but was happy he was still a steeler.

Sometimes it is easy to lose sight of the fact that the next person in may not be a better option (Lest we not forget Sean Mahan - as we struggled to replace Hartings).

• Like Like x 1
  22. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    We must pray AV is next to retire...

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

AV is a FA n gone

Appreciate EVERYTHING Pouncey did but it's time for him.n Ben

Time is a MFer