1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

post Roethlisberger era

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Neilly71, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Neilly71

Neilly71 Member

Nov 22, 2017
    With the Steelers in contention right now, maybe it is too early to talk about life after Ben. However, as much as I hate to say it, Ben is almost ready to retire. We need to look at a capable replacement. Jones or Dobbs is not the answer. Listen closely all! Our next franchise QB could be sitting in Minnesota as a back up right now. Do you guys remember Kyle Sloter? At the beginning of the season, he signed to the Vikings practice squad for $20,000/week. Recently, he served as the backup QB to Casey Keenum. With the return of Bridgewater, he now 3rd QB while Bradford on IR. The word is that many teams try to trade for him before the deadline but the Vikings look at him as being too valuable to let go. With Keenum and Bridgwater in the mix, I think we can get him with a trade that includes Martavis Bryant and maybe a draft pick. With the emergence of JuJu, Bryant is expendable.

Sloter was an undrafted QB that was on the Broncos squad during the preseason. The dude can straight out ball. Has the size and could run. Check out his highlights:

I have a feeling he is going to be the next big thing. I hope Steelers staff are looking at him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He's very raw, but the Steelers love projects.

• 6'4" Height
    • 215LBS. Weight
    Analysis
    Strengths
    Needs more weight on his frame, but has size needed to see over his offensive line. Has been working with former NFL offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild to improve his delivery and mechanics. Has experience under center and in a play-action offense from pistol set. Appears to be comfortable throwing on the move and has the arm talent to make throws from a variety of arm slots. Throws with plus drive velocity when it's time to rip it into a window. Quick-footed athlete who is able to elude pocket pressure and hurt teams with his legs.
    Weaknesses
    Still extremely raw. Has just one season of quarterback experience under his belt. Doesn't have experience necessary to throw with desired timing and anticipation at this point. Looks for open man rather than developing windows. Footwork can become an absolute mess in the pocket. Will throw with front side flying wide open at times. Inconsistent ball placement plagues him with crossing routes. Leaves wide receivers in a holding pattern with some of his underthrows on deep shots. Ball doesn't come out on time frequently enough.
    Draft Projection
    PFA
    Bottom Line
    Sloter is a transfer from Southern Miss who has gone from quarterback to receiver and back to quarterback. He has good size and a lively arm, but only has 320 career passing attempts under his belt. However, he flashed enough raw potential as a senior that he has garnered NFL attention and has an outside shot of sneaking into the final day. Sloter is a project that will almost certainly require a couple of years on a practice squad.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/kyle-sloter?id=2558840

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Trade Bryant and a draft pick for a project? No thanks

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m struggling with the idea that Dobbs is not the answer, but Sloter is. I’m not sure either have shown much, but Dobbs surely more than Sloter so far.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Who?

• Like Like x 2
  6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Not feeling it with Sloter. Or with Dobbs or Landry Jones for that matter. I don't believe the next Steelers franchise quarterback is currently on the roster or in the NFL. I just hope we don't have to wait 20+ years like we did between Bradshaw and Ben. If so, our next franchise quarterback may not even be out of diapers at this point!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Exactly.

8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    We could try Vinny Testaverde ... he’s probably back in diapers by now.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MaineSteelerFan

MaineSteelerFan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Underrated for a reason, no chance he will be a Steeler, better yet no chance he's plays regular season down for any team.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bryant has next to zero trade value.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I don’t know who the next QB will be but I fear a repeat of the late 80s early 90s. Great defense but no QB.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m highly in favor of drafting Bens replacement next year if an appropriate option is available. I would not expect Roethlisberger to retire at the end of this season. He would be walking away from $29,400,000 in 2018. That’s a lot of walking. Personally, for money reasons, I expect him to want to come back for 2018 and 2019. He’s more likely to be cut than retire.

13. BadwordLebeau

BadwordLebeau Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The Steelers are going to have to invest a high draft pick in a QB at some point... like 1st or 2nd.... 3rd being the lowest. Predominantly, Super Bowl winning QBs come from the first 3 rounds. I know I know Tom B is the anomaly. Good luck finding him in the 6th again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Sloter had a great preseason, but trading a player and a draft pick is ridiculously high for a guy with only preseason experience and a college resume from a small school like Northern Colorado. Can he play? yes Would I want him on the team to compete for a spot? Absolutely. But I think the Vikes hold on to the guy with the uncertainty of Bridgewater and Bradford.

I would be OK with a 7th rounder if a trade were to happen, but unlikely imo.

15. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    True! It's funny how a lot of people think it's like we'd be trading Randy Moss and could get a high draft pick for him. MB hasn't done squat in his NFL career relatively speaking. A few flashes does not a career make!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    What? You didn't like Jim Miller and Kent Graham?! :shrug:

17. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Let’s see how can I put this...HELL NO!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    I said this back in April........
    http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/drafting-a-qb.16843/page-2#post-473683

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Alex Kozora from Steelers Depot said expect the Steelers to go after Tyrod Taylor if Ben Retires after the season. He's basing it on Tyrod being from the same part of Virginia as Tomlin, the Steelers have signed a bunch of guys from that area in the past. I sure hope that doesn't happen.

20. Neilly71

Neilly71 Member

Nov 22, 2017
    I don't know what's wrong with some of you but Dobbs is not the answer. Believe it!!! When Sloter becomes big time, remember this post! All the QBs in the next draft are pretty much overrated! I would rather get Sloter and have him study under Big Ben to be his successor!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Neilly71

Neilly71 Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Oh, hell no!

22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I'd rather take my chances with Landry Jones!

23. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Life after Ben is gonna be a ******** disaster for Tomlin. He is probably sweating bullets now since he realizes he'll actually have to make an effort to coach for his wins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Total thread-jack but... for some reason I wanted to google PimplyDan after seeing SteelHaven's avatar. I came across something from the SteelFury MB (anyone ever been there?):

Yea. It was Pimp Dylan now that you mention it but somehow it got changed to Pimply Dan. I think in his drunken state he combined his name and Pimpdylan looke like Pimplydan and the legend was born.

25. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Yup that is correct.. I actually got the avatar from Cali Steel, I haven't seen him here recently but he let me bum it off him. Pimply dan was fun times.

• Like Like x 1