1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Olympics will have the NHL trading deadline in focus. What will Shero do?

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by thorn058, Feb 18, 2014.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I was quite vocal last season about how I feel Ray Shero handles the trade deadline as well as off-season negotiations. So last season he made lots of noise and it ended up with the Pens facing their nemesis, a team that plays a tough defense that is as close to the neutral zone trap as current rules allow and the result was an embarrassing sweep by the Bruins. The off season Shero made small quiet moves opting to keep some promising prospects in the majors and locking up Malkin. He kept the most underrated move of last season in keeping Jussi Jokenin and that in my book was a homerun with how he has played with Malkin and Neal. So I am hoping this year it is more reminiscent of the Cup winning year where he made quiet moves at the deadline instead of headline making ones. Thoughts?

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Penguins need better depth players, which is unfortunately tough to do when you pay Crosby & Malkin so much. Penguins may look good in the regular season but I just don't think you have the depth or the goaltending to put together another serious cup run.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Secondary scoring has always been a problem for them since in the playoffs they lean a bit much on Crosby and Malkin. I think they are developing some solid prospects in that department and Shero has to let them develop before he trades them off just to see what he has. Fluery can be a very good goaltender at times but he needs a solid defensive effort in front of him and Bylsma pays his defense in teh offensive zone a bit too much for my taste. They will go as far as they normally do into the playoffs but will still struggle against defensive teams like Boston who focus more on shutting play down in neutral zone than offensive attacks. My biggest concern is Malkin and the too much hockey hangover. He goes into beast mode for the Olympics and by June he is worn out.