1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Post-Gazette article on Haley...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SC Gamecock, Feb 8, 2012.

1. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    exactly what I've been thinking about him, and is dead-on with what I believe will ultimately help take Roethlisberger's game to the next level. He doesn't need a BFF on the sideline, he needs a coach!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12039/1208717-66.stm

2. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The best thing I took out of that article was the positive remarks by Kurt Warner. Had he trashed Haley I'd have been really concerned. For now I'll just say I'm cautiously optimistic ;)

3. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    A very telling quote from the story: "The Steelers did not seek Roethlisberger's input on the hiring of Haley." I think even the most cynical observer on this message board figured Ben would have had some degree of input or conversation into the OC decision. Guess not. There's a new sheriff in town; it's going to be a really interesting season. Can't wait!

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The article says Haley drew little interest from other teams, I think he knows he can't screw this up. He'll still be brash but I don't think he's going to be a complete loose cannon either, at least if he's smart he won't be. There is a way to critique people, to push them and get the most out of them and even get in their face without being a total a-hole about it. Perfect example, Bill Cowher.

5. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    :this!:

6. black&gold in NJ

black&gold in NJ Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012

I agree, I figured he knows the rumors about his attitude going around. If he elevates Ben's game, he elevates his chances to become a head coach again , he will not be a disturbance...I hope :praying:

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I can't wait to find out how Haley is going to do here. Not because of Haley himself but because I'm already for the next season to start. I hate the downtime!

8. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Maybe Ben will provoke Haley. What's he gonna do fire Ben? The Colts and Ariens would be eagerly awaiting that. Maybe Ben will have Haleys phone bugged and hire someone to follow him around. Now that would be a hoot.

9. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    2 things. First Haley was interviewed by Tomlin, Colbert, and ART II. The article said that they were all impressed with Haley. I think they made the right decision and Haley will be successful.

Second; A very important quote from the story: "The Steelers did not seek Roethlisberger's input on the hiring of Haley." I guess you can say that Bens speaking up for Arians did not get a chance this time. He led the charge for Arians by saving his job for the 2011 season. No such luck this time.

Also, Bens big statement about how he was going to go up to ART II and ask he what he wantsfrom him, and what type of offense that he wants did not take shape. The Rooneys have been around to long, and they know what they are doing. I didn't think that the Rooneys would let Ben do what he stated he was going to do. He has been put in his place as it should be, a 100 million dollar player!

The Steelers organization has never had any such things happen as what Ben was talking about. Players who caused trouble found themselves of the team. Look what happened to Holmes, traded for a fifth round pick. With Rothlisberger's off field issues in the pass, the Rooneys are not playing with him.

10. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What I liked was the end of the piece, the three quotes that seemed like a shout out to Ben like a HEAR THIS from Warner.

If Ben isn't a meatheaded and arrogant baby and wants to move on with his career/life, he'll pin his ears back and work with everything he has.
    Oooo
    Ben owes everything to this team and the ownership if you think about it. They drafted him to a good team, gave him a chance early to be successful with all their might and were there for him and gave him chance after chance to fix his isues.
    Get in the gym, get in the film room with your nose in the playbook and become MVP and the best Qb in the league like we all know he has the ability to be.

11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I agree with this. Those folks who believed that Ben should be consulted about what he wants in an OC sound foolish. Ben or any player doesn't make personnel or coaching decisions. That would be like a manager being interviewed and hired by the employees that he would be managing. Pure horsecrap! That isn't Ben's job. He needs to be focused on doing his own job.

12. Emerald Steel

Emerald Steel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Gotta agree with this, especially the last line.

13. Coke Oven

Jan 2, 2012
    I don't quite see it that way. How many millions of dollars have the Rooney's raked in because of Ben? The concept of "owing" doesn't fit the owner - player relationship at all. It's a business relationship that is mutually beneficial, otherwise it wouldn't exist at all. Owners won't hesitate to cut players once the players skillset diminish. Either that or "restructure" their contracts.

14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He was the best choice.Ben wouldn't have listened to anyone else.This will be very good for ben and the whole offense.Plus, haley has imagination and that makes him an improvement over arians before he call one play.Now,if I was haley, I would call a meeting with the whole offense immediately.If with no other then with ben,ward,miller,and definitely young money. :rawk:

15. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't quite see it that way. How many millions of dollars have the Rooney's raked in because of Ben? The concept of "owing" doesn't fit the owner - player relationship at all. It's a business relationship that is mutually beneficial, otherwise it wouldn't exist at all. Owners won't hesitate to cut players once the players skillset diminish. Either that or "restructure" their contracts.[/quote:8k466y4b]

Do I really need to explain that I never said they OWN him? I said owe. Clearly two different things. The Steelers were selling out games before he got there no matter what players they were fielding. And usually in some part of the post season too. I have always stated we weren't going far till Ben came I'll give you that.

But, it seems obvious to most that the team has put up with much more and granted more grace to him than many other player and stuck by him while trying to help him manage these transitions. All while paying him a ton.

He needs to just tow the line and give his best effort no matter who they hire.... They haven't ever tried to do wrong by him.

16. Coke Oven

Jan 2, 2012
    I didn't say own him either. Owner in my text means team owner, not Ben owner. It never occurred to me that there was any ambiguity there. Wonder how others read it.

This idea of Rooneys being wonderful benevolent owners who are just full of purity and grace, to me is a lot of hooey. If Ben was costing them more than they were getting in return you better believe he'd be outta here in a heartbeat.