1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Combine Steelers Mock Draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Mar 11, 2018.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    It has been quite a while fellow members since I made one of these. AskQuestionsLater here yet again in my personal favorite time of the offseason; researching and info gathering various stats and analytics for the next generation of Steelers players. As per usual, every season presents its unique set of challenges; old or uninspiring players depart for newer pastures or retire all together and new ones must take their place. Since the merger, no team has had more success in drafting and developing players than the Black 'n' Gold.

This year's current issues reside in two key categories; safety and inside linebacker. The former issue was sadly appareant this season while the latter was by a horrific form of circumstances. Given Kevin Colbert's comments regarding the inside linebacking position as well as the safety play this season, it is likely to assume the team will be addressing both positions early on; another pass rusher to ensure that the stable of pass rushers is not only fresh but also give Bud Dupree some much needed motivation.

To that end fellow members, I have constructed a full mock draft dedicated towards solving all these issues and much more given our possible current window with Big Ben. If three years is the max then our chances to shore up our current weaknesses are still doable but each pick must count. With that out of the way and, before we begin (finally I know), a disclaimer:

This mock draft only represents the writer's personal opinions and do not represent or are transparent with other members of TheSteelersFans board of site members, moderators or site adiminstrator.

With that disclaimer out of the way, let us make haste to the mock draft shall we?

Round One: Justin Reid, safety from the University of Stanford (6'1, 207)

While many people are still quite confused as to what to think regarding Mr. Reid, for me, his combine performance put much of my fears to rest for good. For one, his versatility has reared the limelight of his capabilities; a recent hallmark of Tomlin's and the NFL's current day blueprint. Being able to play just one position is not going to be enough anymore as gone are the days of the Adrian Wilson's and Darren Sharper's of the world. As many of us saw in the 2000s, this wrtier's avatar indirectly and directly paved the way for the modern day safety; an athletic, multi role weapon being able to be deployed anywhere and everywhere along the secondary. Much of these same tratis are still in use today and Justin Reid represents a continuation of the legendary polynesian's teachings from long ago. Add his age by September and SPARQ rating, only 21 and eight months with a rating of 135.0 and Justin has all the pre-requisties needed to become the quinessential Tomlin pick. I forsee him being in the starting lineup on opening day and will florish under Tom Bradley's teaching's; his ceiling being a possible rookie Pro Bowler not being out of the question.

Round 2: Lorenzo Carter , Linebacker from the University of Georgia (6'6, 250)

I know, I know. Cue the Bud Dupree allusions again. However, I believe we may not be seeing that again. Unlike Dupree, Carter has shown the ability to flash those hips of his. There are some instances where his hip movements are quite fluid and his hand placement upon setting the edge is NFL worthy. Athletically, what more can I say? Definitely an explosive athlete and will likely showcase that hip movement when Georgia's Pro Day comes, his 1.56 `10 yard split, 36 inch. vertical and 10'10 all showcase his current talents; a force based edge rusher. He is 22 years of age and a Senior also. Given the fact that Dupree has not worked out as much as people had hoped and Carter has three years of playing in a 3-4 as opposed to one when Dupree came in the league, there is no reason to state that Carter's ceiling is higher than Dupree's when both came out of college. Sure, he does need some weight room assistance and his pass rush skills are decent at best. However, considering he is going to likely be a backup SAM to Bud anyway, simply setting the edge should naturally come first. Should Bud ultimately not receive his fifth year option, having Carter as the future of the position puts him in a better spot. Anything he offers in his rookie season is essentailly more than worth the weight in gold as I see starter potential in year two but rotation in year one.

Round Three: Fred Warner, Linebacker from Brigham Young University (6'3, 233)

Meet the possible "Javon Hargrave" of the Steelers draft. For me, while he may not look the part too much on tape, make no mistake; Fred Warner is a modern day "Mack" linebacker for a 3-4 or WILL for a 4-3. As I stated in the introduction, the inside linbacking issue has become a bit of a crisis since the loss of Ryan Shazier. Assuming the Free Agent linebacker in the incumbent starter, someone like Warner is a great depth option. Outside of Leighton Vander Esch from Boise State, no other linebacker is more fluid in space when defending passes that Warner. I would even go so far to say that, at times, he looks superior to the Boise State product. His SPARQ rating and age; 129.8 and 21 years and eight months, are also positives as the Steelers do value age, athletcism and experience. Warner has all these capabilities and more in spades. Now, while he does get pushed around a bit when engaging blocks from time to time, I personally believe this is something that can easily be corrected through weight room training. Granted, he should not see the field in year one but look for him to make headlines come year two.

Round Five (1): Allen Lazard, Wide Receiver from Iowa State University (6'4.5, 227lbs)

This is the part of the draft we now focus on the developmental aspect of the team. Essentially, your depth building. Allen Lazard here acts as a Martavis Bryant replacement piece when he is gone come 2019. For now though, Lazard will just simply be depth. He does have the tantalizing size at essentially 6'5 and weighing in at nearly 230lbs. His 4.55 time is not too shabby either given the fact he can lose some of that weight to boost his speed even faster or keep it given in his long strides. In addition, as with traditional Steeler custom of a wide receiver, he is quite explosive; 38 inch vertical and a ten foot, seventeen inch broad jump to boot. He passes the hand test at nine and three quarters an inch; more hand space to get those contested catches. Now, as far as deep threats go, do not expect Lazard to be one. Likely he can get faster but will never be a burner. However, I believe Lazard is at his best when going for the intermediate routes and offering his assitance as a blocking receiver in the slot or on the outside. Given our lack of depth at Wide Receiver and only having just JuJu as a primary blocking option, having Lazard is defeating two opponents with one strike.

Round 5 (2) Joshua Frazier; Defensive Lineman from the University of Alabama (6'2.7, 315lbs)

I think it is safe to say that the "Shade Tree" experiment is over. Daniel McCullers has not lived up to his billing and likely will not be back. That being said, given the fact that our new defensive lineman's coach in Karl Dunbar is vey aware of Frazier as a whole coupled with his violent hands and tremendous length; 34.25 inch lead pipes as a one or zero tech is something special, means that Frazier does have more worth than others are suggesting. I have seen him go from being undrafted to barely making it out of the seventh round. However, for me, I believe that the fifth round is a perfect spot for him. Too high a pick? Possibly. A need to power up the interior of the defense? Most definitely.

Round 7 (1): Jarivon Franklin; Running Back from the University of Western Kentucky (5'11.4, 239lbs)

So far, I have opted to dive into the good before going towards the bad. To understand Mr. Franklin here though, I need to dive into the bad. Well over 1k touches is quite alarming. One has to wonder how much punishment can he take, Two, one would believe that his size allows him to punish defenders. It does not. Why? I have not the foggiest. Three, and most importantly, is that he lacks that second gear to get into the second level of the defense faster. He does seem to be a short yardage back... or does he? One incredible aspect is that, in spite of his frame, he has cracked the 7 second mark for the three cone at 6.93. While that particular combine stat does not sound all that important, keep in mind that hip flexibility is very important for a running back. Nevermind twisting and turning throughout the running lanes but also keeping ones balance are quality tratis you cannot teach. While he currently still is a short yardage back, should he learn to embrace contact, as I believe he can, he can become quite the asset to the team as the teams third string.

Round 7 (2) Jordan Thomas; Cornerback from the University of Oklahoma

A late round flier on a very questionable player? I know right? Given the current circumstances, drafting another cornerback does seem to be a bit of a luxury but given the fact that William Gay is likely out in the offseason means that adding more depth cannot hurt. Sure, he does not possess the recovery speed you would want for man and he has some confidence issues. His strength is also severly lacking as well. Thankfully for him, all of that can be remedied with Tom Bradley now at the helm. Right now, he offers special teams value but his ceiling can be depth based should he have his head straight and believe in himself.

Well everyone, that is it for me. What did you like? Dislike? What does yours look like? Please let me know as this really helps out.

Thank you for reading and I will see you guys next time. :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Carter would worry me because he wasn't that productive at Georgia.

3. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Like S Reid in the 1st

Like OLB Lorenzo Carter in the 2nd. Steelers Depot had a mock where the Steelers picked Lorenzo Carter in the 1st so, not sure that Carter will be there in the 2nd.

Like ILB Fred Warner in the 3rd

Love WR Allen Lazard in the 5th, if he's there. I think he goes higher.

Not really a fan of DT Joshua Frazier in the 5th, the guy had only 15 tackles in 14 games in 2017 and in four years he only had 2 sacks. Was he playing part time?

Like CB Jordan Thomas in the 7th, but I usually don't criticize 7th round picks whoever it is.

It fills all of our needs.

4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I know. :( His Seinor Season he really showcased those NFL worthy skills though.

Here is something even more bizzare:

[​IMG]

That score is best among linebackers since the Relative Athletic Score since 1987. Keep in mind this is over 1,479 linebackers since that time.

I really wanted to place Josh Sweat at number two but those medicals of his are a bit too risky.

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    @AskQuestionsLater I love the mock, I am on the Reid bandwagon and really feel this is a kid that could fit what we want out of a S. I don't know enough about Carter, Fraizer and Franklin I need to check them out. I do like Warner and Lazard a ton both have looked good at the senior bowl. Thomas in the 7th is a great pick imo, I have seen him mocked to us here and have read about him being a very good prospect. This is a pick that is no risk but high reward, I posted about him on here asking if people knew anything on him cause I read he is a guy with big upside so him in the 7th is a great pick. :thumbs_up:

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I took notice of Fred at the Combine but havent watched film on him yet.

Not sure I like going OLB in the 2nd but may feel better about that after watching Fred in a couple games.

Another guy I took notice at the Combine was OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. Was disappointed with his film though so hes off the list. Maybe a late rounder if hes still there.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Even though ILB is the more pressing need at the moment...OLB can be right around the corner,especially if Dupree doesn't really step up his game. I really feel we need to address a starting caliber ILB and FS in FA simply because it won't be easy for a rookie to step into either position ....if that's the case we will have much more flexibility in who we pick and at what position. It seems to be Colberts MO to do just that....

I also liked Okoronkwo early in the process but the biggest knock on him seems to be that he's either pass rush or nothing and doesn't hustle to the ball. That in itself is a major red flag to me....

Still waiting for us to jump into the FA pool......even if it is , the kiddie pool.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That stood out to me. Doesnt seem to play with any sense of urgency, looks ho hum out there.

Good or bad, they will be rolling with Dupree next season. I dont think they have the luxury to take an OLB early with more pressing needs and not sure they will have any money to spend in FA. They may not even make bargain basement moves this year.

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They're gonna do something.....they will have some money to spend,not much ,but something. They will have Mitchell's 5 mil. plus there are still a couple restructures that can be done. I'm pretty sure they will address safety and once they have a target in mind Mitchell will be gone to make room. ILB I'm not sure how much we can expect. Timmons possibly on the cheap and roll with what we have and hopefully a draft pick can step up.... They will roll with Dupree for now but that option isn't looking like a good investment for us. We will address either a safety or ILB in FA ....maybe even both. Whatever position we can't land in FA will very likely be our first round pick....IMO

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Alright guys, big update coming soon. Pro days are all but wrapping up now.

My mock will be updated based on the resources given by April 5th.

• Like Like x 2