1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible future QB

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelcurtainmrp, Jan 2, 2017.

1. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    USC's redshirt freshman QB, Sam Darnold, seems to have so much potential. He also just lit up PSU in the granddaddy of em all. 5 passing TDs (Rose Bowl record) and 453 passing yards (second most in Rose Bowl) He stands at 6'4" 225--- Big Ben size. He has to stay at least one more year, and who knows what his plans are, but boy, that kid can throw the ball. It would also greatly help him to sit behind Ben for however many years, just like rodgers sat behind Favre. Thoughts?

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he's a good one and so is the kid from penn state. so is mayfield from oklahoma. the next couple of years has better qb's than this years draft will have. :cool:

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Keep dreaming if you think the Steelers have a shot at a player like Darnold, first of all he's a redshirt freshman and would be a top 10 draft pick.

4. strangebrew13

strangebrew13 New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    As a Steelers fan living in Texas, who went to Texas Tech, it is Patrick Mahomes the Steelers should have their eyes on an not Mayfield.

Both played for Tech, and Mayfield excelled at OU after he refused to compete for the job with Mahomes, but where Mayfield has been surrounded by crazy talent which has elevated him, Mahomes has been taking the more with less approach. Learning for a few years behind Ben would be ideal for Mahomes, but the big question is how high is Mahomes stock going to go after the combine.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Those were some NFL throws last night,
    Against Oklahoma this year, Mahomes passed for 734 yards with 5 TDs, AND had 85 rushing yards and 2 rushing TDs. :eek:

6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I hate mayfields demeanor on the field. I think mahomes is gonna be a good pro. I also like the kid at Washington st but he will probably stay one more year.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like it actually. he's got some fire. he also is very good after contact and getting out of it and is good with throws on the move. ben like in a way. thats what i like about him the most. :cool:

8. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    i guess I misstated. attitude. he is an arrogant ass. I cant forget his actions at a game I seen in person. that being said, if he does end up a steeler? he will probably end up my favorite player:lolol:

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Beat me to Mahomes. Well said. :applaud:

Most NFL scouts are wary of quarterbacks coming from the "Air Raid" offenses of the Big XII, but for Mahomes, it is due to his immense arm talent and not due to circumstances. That style of offense allows him to showcase his abilities to hit short, medium, and deep passes. Add the fact he is a pseudo-Russel Wilson in his maneuverability in the pocket and Pittsburgh definitely could find something with him. As you stated, let Ben teach him the basics and let us see what he can do should the opportunity present itself.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Much like strangebrew stated, Mahomes is someone I would gun for if I am Tomlin. Have him under Ben's wing and watch the potential turn into results when Ben decides to hang it up.

That "Air Raid" offense is being employed for him to showcase his talents and not to maximize his overall effectiveness.

11. strangebrew13

strangebrew13 New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Don't get me wrong, this past season felt like a step back for Mahomes and him having a chance to really grow his game since he was constantly under fire. Ultimately, I think the physical grind he was facing (and he has been plenty tough playing through injury) started to affect his decision making and growth as a QB at that level.

This is why as a Tech alum, I was more than happy to see him leave for his own good. He has learned everything about the Air Raid he could hope to learn and another year of just fighting to stay alive wasn't going to help that Remember that he almost didn't even play college football, instead opting for pro baseball like his Dad, and is still relatively wet behind the ears as a QB though. This is why I think his timeline would match up very well with Big Ben.

Put Mahomes on the Aaron Rodgers plan, not only to give him time to acclimate but to also fill out his frame a bit. I don't use the A-Rod comparison lightly, but he also played against Tech in a rather notable Holiday Bowl during Rodgers last year at Cal and the guy we saw after some years of being an understudy to Favre was far advanced from what he was in college. Mahomes has some tendencies that fit him in both of the Ben and Rodgers mold to me obviously.