1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Positives

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rhys Lightning 63, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Rhys Lightning 63

Rhys Lightning 63 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    1 - Ravens lost, so the gap at the top of the division stays the same. Game after the bye week is a MUST MUST MUST win though

2 - Landry Jones proves he isn't COMPLETELY useless, other than the INT, he played pretty solid

3 - Offensive line putting in a GREAT shift. The amount of time Landry had on some of those throws was top notch

4 - Cobi Hamilton, not too dissimilar to Eli Rogers' mini breakout at the start of the year might prove useful in the future, made some excellent grabs. Just change the number, I REALLY don't like him wearing Heath's number so soon

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Tomlin is still the coach. No positives.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I've gone on record saying Hamilton isn't anything great and was basically PS material.

Very happy to say I was wrong. He really stepped up. Important, too, given that all our WRs seem to be getting inured in some shape or form.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I saw a few encouraging things this game. I just wish we played with this much heart against the other teams. We showed a lot of positives out there and actually had a chance to win it.

I love that with half our defense out with injuries, and some of our key offensive cogs missing the media is still on their knees in front of belicheat and co

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Positives-

Jarvis and Timmons played well. We are really understrength but playing hard. Put anyone in a Steelers uniform and call them a wide receiver, and they automatically become good. They talk about LB being the Steelers hallmark position, but I say WR instead. Jones did okay.

I watched the game with some Pats fan friends (I live in Vermont), and they were scared at times.

Watched the Ravens today, and they looked bad. Flacco, I believe, is playing hurt. They lack big playmakers - aside from their kicker- and might well be 0-7. The Bengals have a tough schedule and may yet implode.

We really, really need Heyward back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It really hurts to think what might have been if Ben had been in this game today. AB quietly put together a good game as well and definitely wasn't 100% by the end. Also and I don't know if anyone else has talked about this but I really like the way Gilbert looks running with the ball in his hands. He looks really fast to me and if people keep kicking it to him it might just be a matter of time before he breaks one. Heck if he's as fast as he looks I really wouldn't mind to see him get on the field with the offense and take a reverse or something.

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah man the fact that you said that about Hamilton just makes you look incredibly stupid. I was just telling someone the other day that I have a British buddy that was saying Hamilton wasn't gonna be a good WR and they were telling me how stupid I am for being your friend. Wise up man. Wise up. LOL!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hamilton: Really stepped up
    Cockrell: Becoming our best corner
    Chickillo: Always around the play has high motor.

I will give props to Jarvis Jones came on strong in this contest but then disappeared like the rest of the Defense.
    Jimmy Allen, Timmons was owned in coverage and to me didn't make much on an impact. Just my opinion.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The opening drive of the 2nd half Jarvis looked strong and then they started rotating again and I think he cooled off. I want to see him and Dupree at full strength with Cam in beast mode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    My focus is on winning playoff games. Our window with Ben is closing fast . It's hard for me to look for positives when I see a defense that is in shambles and poor coaching.

The pats dropped two ridiculously easy passes on 3rd down, botched punt, and two bad fumbles. They did everything they could to keep us in that game. They catch those 2 passes and it's probably a blowout.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm gonna toot my horn about hubbard, hamilton, LJ, chick, cockrell, grimble, james. they are playing pretty good and are keepers. timmons and jj are still playing well and could be kept. probably not for huge money but worthy of being here. hopefully when cam and dupree get up to speed we will see them play even better. i'm anxious to see this team at full strength and what they can actually do at that point. these backups are gaining valuable field time and will push for more time. :smiley1::cool:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I agree with to much rotation. If a guy is making plays you keep him in until he needs a rest.

13. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Yeah, it's a shame how much The Standard has been lowered. Our ceiling appears to be 10 wins and a first round exit.

14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Were still in 1st place. AFC north is shaping up to be not so good this year. 5 remaining AFC north games are crucial. After the bye, we best be ready to play the Ratbirds. They are struggling, but so are we. Wouldn't shock me to see Ben playing that game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Jordan Berry is still boomin'
    Fitz and Gilbert had some nice KO returns
    Pass protection was very good

but really the most positive thing is we should have a lot of guys returning for the ratbird game

16. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Jones had all day because the Patriots didn't rush the QB. They dropped back into coverage hoping he would make mistakes and hoping our o-line couldn't handle 3 or 4 rushing the QB.

We made so many coaching gaffes last night it's hard to really see any positives. Yes Jones is good enough to win football games but he needs help. The coaching staff didn't put him position to succede and the defense was lucky the Pats dropped 2 huge 1st down passes. They gave us every opportunity to win this game and we just floundered. That wasn't the best patriots team I've seen. Now we need to beat the Ravens with out Ben. Couldn't do it last year, so hopefully that bye week will help us prepare for the all might Ravens. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Negatives, 10 penalties, once again the defense couldnt stop the run gave up 144 yards in this game, Oline still false starting and getting holding calls, they cost us a TD with a hold in this game, Bell still hasnt had a break out game with only 81 yards in this game, maybe in this bye week butler can figure out how to stop the run, they cant sack a QB or blitz so the least they can do is stop the run....

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Well at least they handled the 3 or 4 :lolol: I did not head into this game with any expectations so I have to find some positives....

You knew early on that Belicheat wanted to put the ball in Landry's hands when he accepted the penalty (can't remember the call) and made it 2nd and 18. He wanted Jones to throw. And Jones did alright through the middle of the field. But the red zone was another story. Which harkens back to his college days when the Oklahoma coach would replace him in the red zone.

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He was 2 out of 3 for TDs in the endzone, thats pretty good even if a holding call negated 1 of his TDs...

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I didn't know that about Landry. Dang that's brutal. Lol!

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes but I'm a Steelers fan and can only remember the INTs and "almost" INTs. :lolol: Seriously though, Jones played way better than I expected of him. Red zone would have been tough for whoever was in there.

22. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Positives: Landry Jones played a solid game. The team never gave up. The coaching staff seemed to mostly have the team in winning positions, even if they didn't always execute. If they clean up the detail, then the Steelers will be very dangerous. It's only slightly before mid-season, and the Steelers have a bye before that point. There is time to right the ship.