1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Positional Needs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TarheelFlyer, Feb 8, 2017.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I've already done some thinking and through together a list of perceived draft needs but I thought I would be more exhaustive and just think about upgrades and improvements overall as it relates to this off-season.

Offense

1. Need a backup QB to replace Jones.

2. Need a backup RB to replace D. Williams.

3. Need a TE to replace Green should he get hurt again.

4. Need to upgrade WR in case Bryant gets suspended again.

5. Need depth on Oline.

Defense

1. Need depth at DE.

2. Need backup NT for upgrade to McCullers.

3. Need Harrison replacement.

4. Need Timmons replacement.

5. Need Mitchell replacement.

6. Need competition for Cockrell. Loser will double as Gilbert replacement.

7. Need Gay/Golson replacement.

Of Note: replacement does not necessarily mean immediately. I mean eventually.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Quite an extensive list there... here are my thoughts.

Offense

1. Need a backup QB to replace Jones. It depends on whether you want a back-up, or a future replacement for Ben. Jones is a back-up, and - despite what people may think - not significantly better or worse than other back-ups we've had. If Jones re-signs, I'd say this is a low priority.
    If you want a future replacement, though... well, that's a different scenario which will likely change a few times in the off-season.

2. Need a backup RB to replace D. Williams. I can see him re-signing. They had a lot of RBs on the PS last year, so I wonder if they go with some of the younger guys rather than going out and getting someone new.

3. Need a TE to replace Green should he get hurt again. I like Jessie James, but when Green was healthy he added an extra dimension to the team. So we need a guy *like* him. I'd say this is a position of need.

4. Need to upgrade WR in case Bryant gets suspended again. I don't see this as a priority.

5. Need depth on Oline. The back-ups on the line have been quietly effective this year. I could see us picking up one or two more in camp. Not sure if Wallace comes back, for example.

Defense

1. Need depth at DE. Yep.

2. Need backup NT for upgrade to McCullers. I imagine it's more likely we get a multi-position guy who can play along the line. McCullers does what he does.

3. Need Harrison replacement. Yep.

4. Need Timmons replacement. I'm wondering if they leave this another year. There's depth on the team, and we may have too many other needs to look for a high-draft replacement for Timmons.

5. Need Mitchell replacement. I thought Mitchell had turned a corner this year, but we could still do with drafting a top Safety. Mind you, I've been saying that for around four years now...

6. Need competition for Cockrell. Loser will double as Gilbert replacement. We could do with a ST contributor who plays CB, like Gilbert... maybe a late round pick?

7. Need Gay/Golson replacement. I'm not holding out hope for Golson, but he may still surprise...

Of Note: replacement does not necessarily mean immediately. I mean eventually.

3. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Offense
    1. Minor
    Landry will be cheap to re-sign
    2. Minor
    RBs are aplenty
    3. Not a need
    James and Grimble
    4. Not a need
    Coates
    5. Not a need
    Hubbard and Finney got reps this year. Harris is a veteran, Hawkins is back

Defense

1. Solid need
    Walton got reps, need vet
    2. Minor need
    We play base 3-4 less than 30%
    3. Huge need
    Pass rusher is the most critical need. T far
    4. Not a need
    Vince Williams, Matakevich
    5. Minor need
    Mitchell and Golden Signed for 2 more years
    6. Solid need
    Not in terms of Cockrell, but in terms of depth
    7. Huge need
    Slot corner is 2nd highest priority behind edge rusher

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    As much as you all want to dump landry jones it isn't going to happen, they are going to keep him whether we like it or not, he is going to be the backup when the new season kicks off so just get used to him staying at the number 2....

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think o-line is fine if we lock up AV. mehalik and hawkins provide depth if hubbard and finney are re-signed. harris could be expendable.

edge rusher is big.

safety is big.

corner could use an upgrade for depth and future.

i think if fort is re-signed we have a good mix at ilb. possibly another depth guy.

rb is fine with fitz and williams. we have brown- dukes and a couple of others in the wings from the PS.

if nix stays healthy he can help out in blocking situations which would leave us ok with the TE's we have. :cool:

6. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i wouldnt bet my house on that. they brought in Mettenberger last year. is he the future? probably not, but his numbers are as good or better than Jones. he also has more experience and hes a couple years younger. it would not surprise me is Mettenberger is the back up next year. im sure they will both have their shot during the offseason to win the job. i just dont see the Steelers going out and drafting a qb this season.

7. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I could care less if he comes back or not, meaning I'm not pushing if he stays or goes, but I just don't believe he comes back. I think he sees himself as more than he is as a player and will try to go where he thinks the grass is greener and he might have a shot at starting.

8. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I should have said this in the original post, I don't think all of these needs are draft needs, some can be met with a vet signing, but these are what we need to do IMO.

The Landry Jones comment and the D. Williams comment are mostly about as things stand right now. I am fine with them both coming back and sort of being their own replacement, but until that happens, we have that slot open.

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I am very used to him being number 2...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Diamond

May 26, 2012
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  12. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Dont overlook the possibility of LJ going free agent, he saw the big 30 plus mill contract Chase Daniels received, and Daniels had only started 2 games for 480 yds and 1 TD in his prior 6 years, LJ might turn down a low ball offer from the steelers and take his chances on the open market like Daniels did, I wouldnt blame LJ for testing the market and I would bet he gets more money and possibly a stating job out of it, his agent will call around and see if theres interest or not and if there is the steelers can just go with ZM and see how that turns out........

13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Fair assessment. I was shocked at the addition of OL depth... that's one of our strengths as a team. Lots of high quality back up OL. I can see ILB being a need tho. Aside from Shazier we have very "athletically limited" type players. I wouldn't hate bringing Timmons back for a year or two (and even don't hate Williams as a sport starter) but this is definitely a need in some capacity by next year at the very least.

Pass rusher and slot corner should be our highest priorities with DE/ILB depth as moderate needs.

14. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Agreed. If I had to make a list, it would be simple
    (in order of priority)
    1. Edge Rusher
    2. Slot Corner
    3. DL Backups
    4. RB Backups
    5. ILB Backups

15. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I think my point was only that you always need depth on the Oline. Maybe we don't draft anyone, but we need to make sure the position stays strong.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    safety has to come on the list.:cool:

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I read in one of the chats (Ed or Gary I think) that nothing has changed in regards to how the Steelers view Golson. They are expecting him to play next season.

So, slot corner may not be on the draft list.

Spencer came back after a long layoff and his injury was catastrophic. He wasn't the same player though because of it and thats what kept him from reaching the high level of play they were expecting from him, not the layoff.

Golson has been playing football since peewee, shouldn't be a problem. His ability to stay healthy is the question.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Edge rusher-major need
    CB-major need
    ILB-minor need
    Safety-minor
    DL-minor

19. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I've resigned myself to knowing Landry will be the backup for the next 30 years. Pitt needs another tailback behind Bell. Karlos Williams could be a nice addition but isn't trustworthy. I like Toussaint but they need to look for something more.

Plus another pass rusher opposite Dupree would be nice. No need to break the bank for it, but I would take one.