1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Position of need or Best Player Available?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by BK99, Mar 28, 2018.

1. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I was really hoping he’d be there at 28 so we’d maybe have the option to trade down with someone

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That's fine but we drafted them to play at some point. We have starters and depth right now. Bostic was added. Fort and matakevich are still here. Just because fans don't think they are good enough after being with this team for years doesn't mean a rookie will out play them right out of the gate. Guys had injuries so you don't just abandon them a year later for another body you know nothing about. As I said I'm sure we will draft some guys for where we feel we need them but we will also see what we have in guys we invested draft picks on from before too. Kelsey wasn't an option last year. Spence was a more known commodity to us then. :cool:

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They do draft BPA but only at a position of need, over and over again thats how they draft, and I dont see any problem with that on day 1 and 2 of the draft...

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes we did draft them to play but it isn't like they are some great players, not every player is drafted with the thought of being a starter right? If one thing showed us anything last year is if you wanna talk the talk about next man up you better walk the walk and that means having 53 players ready. IMO Adams is not that I hope he will be but on a team that is win now I don't want to see Adams starting for us come week 10 or so do you? As for Kelsey I disagree we saw what Spence brought and that was nothing we could have had the same thing from Kelsey, jmo. The bigger point on this is yeah we lost Shazier and Dirty Red but the next man up statement didn't work so good as Moats didn't see the field over Spence either.

My point is Tomlin is big on the NMU thing and I like that but make sure you have guys ready for that. JMO :smiley1:

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

They thought moats was good enough. I never did. He had warts playing inside for Buffalo, but we were kind of desperate. Spence had been here longer than Kelsey and in the NFL longer. Our DC has shown in the past that if he thinks a guy isn't ready he will not play and that's how I think he felt about Kelsey. When they finally figured out what some of us already knew about moats, he was and is gone this year. As for Adams, he was hurt so never got the chance to show what they saw in him before they drafted him. Remember James harrison was on and off the team and on the bench a long time before he became the DPOY too. Timmons saw a lot of bench time before seeing the field too. Just saying. We still have chickillo that has been getting better every year too. Huguenin showed up last year in the preseason. We were full or he may have made this team. Allen has some skills and size, it just wasn't time in his rookie year yet. Year two may be much different, especially with a new and better coach.:cool:

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I thought Moats was good enough but oh well, lol. As for Kelsey sorry I strongly disagree, if we were talking about the Spence that last played for us yeah I would have been all over that but this was a guy sitting home after many injuries he just was done. The kid has a heart as big as Texas but his skills are gone.

By no means am I saying Adams shouldn't be on this team I am just saying he should not be the next man up. If he turns into JH or Timmons that would be great but come on how many guys turn into that? What I am saying is if Bud goes down for an extended period of time I am not comfortable with Mr Adams as our next man up, JMO. Also if we are expecting anything from Huguenin holy crap we are in trouble. I am all about the younger guys but I am also about the win now as well and most times these don't mix especially in our defense. Allen on the other hand I am ready to see what he can offer.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We do still have chickillo ya know. He would be the next man up and the other two hopefully see some field time and become what they thought they might be.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I guess we differ on BPA and need. IE Steelers draft a ILB @28 But on their big board there is an OL/QB rated higher? Fan's (needs) usually
    don't offer up the BPA on the Steelers big board and how they have rated players. This is how I understand BPA. KC has been adament
    in saying the Steelers Never draft for need, but BPA. He has been talking out of his ass for the past 10 years. That's all I am saying.

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes believe it of not I did know that :smiley1:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I wasn't trying to be a smart azz about that. Just wasn't sure if you knew that, since you didn't mention him as a possible starter should something happen. Huguenin had the exact same stats as TJ in the preseason. 11 tackles and 2 sacks. TJ played a lot last year. Huguenin played with Dupree at Kentucky. He showed some skills. If he built on those from last year and worked on his game while here, I could see him getting better. Adams too. Adams had some skills coming in too. Huguenin is a big boy too. Golden led all safeties last year in preseason also. Let's see what these guys can do before we pass judgement is all I'm saying. I like hungry players with something to prove.

I'm also not saying Spence was the guy we should have brought in but he was the guy they thought had enough experience on short notice because they found out quickly moats wasn't it and dirty red was injured. You know how our staff likes guys with experience over anyone else. Especially on short notice.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dupree and Burns were drafted purely on their athleticism, their college tape didn't show high quality production.

If the BPA is an actual gamer who produced in college I don't care what position he played.

• Agree Agree x 1