1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Position coaches?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I have a question about position coaches. My impression is that OCs and DCs coordinate the big picture and strategy, and the position coaches focus on individual skills. As an example, many have attributed Gay's improvement to Carnell Lake. When we see poor execution on plays, in addition to the players, isn't it the position coaches who should be held accountable? They seem to be the hidden element in team's performance. As much as I dislike the way Arians plans a game, particularly after the first quarter, maybe it is the position coaches who need to step up their game to eliminate the blown routes, poor coverage, bad tackling, etc. It is tough to separate the scheme from the execution, but I bet the scheme is the coordinator's job the the implementation is the position coach's job. Particularly in practices leading up to a game. So Arians should be fired for the scheme, not the execution. Others (players and coaches) should be fired for that.

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yep Arians isn't throwing those INTs and fumbling those balls

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

You make a good point. That's why it really surprised me that Ray Horton was hired by the AZ Cards to be their defensive coordinator. I thought he did a terrible job as the defensive backs coach in Pittsburgh. Virtually all of our young DBs regressed under his tutelage. The job that Carnell Lake has done with Willie Gay and some of our other young DBs this year proves my point that Horton should have been fired, not promoted.

4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

You make a good point. That's why it really surprised me that Ray Horton was hired by the AZ Cards to be their defensive coordinator. I thought he did a terrible job as the defensive backs coach in Pittsburgh. Virtually all of our young DBs regressed under his tutelage. The job that Carnell Lake has done with Willie Gay and some of our other young DBs this year proves my point that Horton should have been fired, not promoted.[/quote:206p2zne]
    Your assessment is true, but it is then their job to see if that coach is effective and make adjustments himself by either having the last word on what they and how they work on that positions aspects or relieving them of their duty.

By that thinking then a head coach's only responsible for overseeing everything and game management and not held to any criticism of the players production. Some people do see it this way. I, however, don't.

**** rolls downhill. The boss is accountable. He has to make assessments based on past performance and practice.

If a player stinks it up for a week or two it's on them, 3 or 4, position coach while other coaches have a trained eye and discussions, 5-6 games gets a heavy evaluation of player, position coach and coordinator, and after that everyone is accountable for performance because it shouldn't be slipping by. These guys get paid MILLIONS a year. This isn't some dude on the loading dock loafing a bit.

5. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Coordinators are meant to put players in position to win matchups.
    Position Coaches are there to show them how to use their skills to win those matchups.