1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

porter to retire a steeler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well when you make statements like this one you invite questioning. Porter played in 41 more games then Llyod, he better have more sacks. As I said in my post above, that comes out to about 1 more sack per game so they were pretty even in that regard but even know Porter played in 41 more games, Lloyd still killed him in tackles, 204 more. Don't bring up stats when they disprove your argument.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

I think SteelHurtin is kind of right to object to having his football knowledge or age questioned. I think I'd find it a bit offensive if someone was saying "you don't agree with my assessment, therefore you must be some kid who knows nothing about football." Which was how the post he responded to might have been interpreted, even if it wasn't meant that way.

At the same time, TomlinEra is right to show that stats by themselves don't prove Porter was better than Lloyd. Also, there's a reason why we would compare those two - they both brought monster attitudes and that kind of "loose cannon" approach, which in itself makes it difficult to assess them with objective numbers and stats.

3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    41 more games and 50 more sacks also porter played with haggans and didnt have greene eating up blocks

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, 41 more games, take away those 41 games and they have about the same amount of sacks. And Llyod absolutely crushed Porter in tackles and he did it in 41 less games. Plus, Haggans didn't exactly suck. Also he played on teams that had Levon Kirkland, Earl Holmes, Kendrell Bell, to name a few. LB position is always a position of strength for the Steelers, it's not like Porter played on **** teams

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not to butt in ,but i was glad we had time with both of them here. :applaud: :cool:

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    For 1 season right Mac?

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    For 1 season right Mac?[/quote:7z80rql8]
    i meant in general having both as steeler players. :cool:

8. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    For 1 season right Mac?[/quote:1ec225kg]
    they never played together after Lloyd before Porter was Gildon in fact Porter fist number was 95! :hello:

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    they never played together after Lloyd before Porter was Gildon in fact Porter fist number was 95! :hello:[/quote:2qc3sta4]

Do'h! :doh: Thats right, Mac Jedi mind tricked me