1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

porter to retire a steeler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Jul 18, 2012.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Porter had a lot of football left in him. He didnt asked to be released. He wanted paid and it wasnt happening here. Franco harris left the steelers does that make him not worthy of retiring a steeler. Not every player is going to ignore what they could make for other teams like ward and most likely smith did.

2. JD99

JD99 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Yep, exactly!!! Webster and Lipps left too. What about Woodson? Porter's play on the field is what makes him the epitomy of a Steelers LB and is what makes him one of my alltime favorite Steelers. Plus, getting to meet him and talk with him a few times in person, he was truly a humble and appreciative guy. And, who can forget this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpOG9K02F_g

3. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

So when DeCastro eventually wants paid and plays for 7 different teams afterwards he's going to want to retire a Steeler also? Just pick a place that has the most recognition and sign a 1 day contract. Will Santonio Holmes come back for a 1 day contract cause that was the biggest catch of his life. You have to admit that his contribution to another Steelers Championship was huge and does warrant consideration.

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Porter had swager, he especialy hated on the other 3 teams in our division which I liked, i'll never forget the fight that broke out on game day during warm ups between him and the clowns. Then he punched out another player in Vegas which proved he didnt need anyone else to help him back up his talk: He motivated himself by trash talking, no different than two boxers trash talking during the weigh in...

5. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    LOL. Yeah he ***** slapped William Green 8-)

6. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I can't remember his name but I'm thinking of that star receiver that the seahawks had who was supposed to just eat the Steelers alive in the superbowl. In pre game interviews and tv shows Peezy talked incessantly about "tapping" this guy out. Turned out that that talk totally got into this guy's head, scared the crap outta him. He ended up doing nothing in the superbowl that I can remember. Dropped a lotta passes and when he did make a catch it was outta bounds. Gotta love Porter for that one.

7. va.STEEL

va.STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I hate to see JP go,but I'm glad he's going out a Steeler.Just wish instead of a 1 day contract,he'd get a 1 game contract so manning would have flashbacks and to hear......WHO RIDE
    WHO RIDE
    WHO RIDE
    LETS RIDE ON 3
    1 2 3,LETS RIDE

8. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    "With the Steelers in transition under new head coach Mike Tomlin, the team released Porter on March 1, 2007 in lieu of paying him a $1 million roster bonus."

I can't believe the crap I'm reading from most of you, on here! :frustrated: Are you kidding me??? He was only in his eighth season. He wasn't done yet. We let him go. Sure he had a big mouth, but the man played ball. WOW!

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It was their TE J Stevens. The layed his ass out too!

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I am not sure how to respond,didn't I say he had some very good years?
    Was he in Gregg LLoyd's/Jack Ham's/Kevin Green's league? I DON"T THINK SO!

11. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    What he was absolutely in their league. He was the best olb in the league at one point in time.

12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    While, I'm glad Joey is going out a Steeler. I think the Steelers made the right choice letting him go, you got the same amount if not better production out of Harrison. But, Joey was one heck of a leader during his time here and boy did he provide the Sound Bytes for the media.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I do have to ask the question of how the Steelers draw the line. Porter played a bunch of years for the Steelers and did play last year. And he was an exceptional player. I have no problem with him retiring a Steeler.

Kordell waited 5 years. I think that retirement should have been skipped.

What about a back up who plays 1 year and waits 5 years. Where do you draw the line?

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You guys do realize they don't get anything special for doing this, there aren't any rules about how many player a team can retire. Most of them just want to be able to say I started as a Steeler and I ended as a Steeler. Which is cool in my book and I have no problem with them doing it. Most teams have a ring of honor/team HOF type thing but most of these guys aren't asking for consideration for stuff like that they just want to finish with the best organization in football and look back with no regrets.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. I think there was a thread where this was discussed a few months back. In his prime, Porter WAS the defense, in spirit and in action. His last season here was not impressive, though. I remember being initially concerned that it was getting left to Harrison to fill his shoes, but that concern didn't last too long.

I don't think many people are disputing how good he was in his prime. But there's a big difference between not being done and being the best fit for a team in transition and needing new goals. Porter wasn't the only one who took his foot of the gas in the season after the Superbowl.

I'm glad he's retiring a Steeler - even though I still find these one-day contracts wierd - as I will always think of his as a key member of that Steelers D. But it is perfectly possible to be thankful and respectful of the great work he did here, and also think he was let go at the right time - that's not "crap", that's just making an honest evaluation.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

my thoughts exactly thig and thorn. we drafted them and they had there moments here, why not. now a guy like vrabel or something may be a different story. he started here, but never started here. i have no problem with them doing this though, they were steelers and i :applaud: all of them. not everybody is in this club. :cool:

17. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

Loved Joey when he was here!! Talked the talk..AND walked the walk....Only player I know of who got kicked out in pre-game....As Ali once said.."It aint bragging if its so."

As a STEELER fan Id love to have old #55 retire a STEELER!!! Welcome back to the fold Joey!!!!

18. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011

I think you need to watch a little more football if you honestly believe he was in the same
    league as the three players I mentioned. I loved Peezy I wanted the Steelers to sign
    him instead of Aaron Smith, it didn't work out that way, life goes on.

19. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Look at their stats porter kills lloyd i didint look any farther

20. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we will have agree to disagree.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd take Llyod over Porter 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

22. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    why? Porters numbers are better and Lloyd had an all pro on the other side(Greene) and great CBs behind him all things Porter never had justsaying :herewego:

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    why? Porters numbers are better and Lloyd had an all pro on the other side(Greene) and great CBs behind him all things Porter never had justsaying :herewego:[/quote:uwjdjgml]

Because he was a better LB. Porter played in 41 more games then Llyod so I hope he would have more sacks which equalled out to about a sack a game for each game he played more then Llyod but even with that many more games Llyod still made 204 more tackles. I don't need stats anyway, there's the eyeball test and Llyod was better, I watched both play and Llyod was ferocious.

24. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you Tomlin Era, I am not sure the age of alot of these posters or if
    all they do is play Madden/fantasy football. They need to watch more football and to learn the history
    of the talent rich Pittsburgh Steelers.

25. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    lol questioning my football knowledge when i have been part of it in one way or another for 20+ plus years plYaying and coaching. Porter has 98 sacks lloyd 48. plus i was born and raised in pittsburgh and know the steelers history. Through their tim here porter beat lloyd across the board in stats plus you cant be in the discussion if you didnt help bring a ring plain and simple.