1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

porter to retire a steeler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Jul 18, 2012.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Cant post links from my tablet but porter has talked with the steelers about signing and retiring. I WOULD ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS. He is one of my all time favs

2. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There's one link.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/653/joey-porter

Former Steelers, Cardinals, and Dolphins LB Joey Porter has retired from football.
    He's retiring as a Pittsburgh Steeler. A third-round pick out of Colorado State back in 1999, Porter wound up playing 13 NFL seasons and making four Pro Bowls. He earned a Super Bowl ring with Pittsburgh for the 2005 season. Porter, 35, was once one of the most feared edge-rushing outside linebackers in the game, piling up at least nine sacks six times. After a couple of disappointing seasons with Arizona, Porter admitted his knees could no longer handle the grind. He may be an eventual candidate for the Steelers' Ring of Honor. Jul 18 - 5:07 PM
    Source: NFL.com

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know what the ring of honor is or how exclusive it is, but I'd be fine without him in it.

4. Hinesistheman

Hinesistheman Active Member

Apr 27, 2012
    You really didn't need to post this. Just let the man retire. He was a great Steeler, and helped us get a ring.

5. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Agreed. The man was a great Steeler. It says a lot about him wanting to retire a Steeler and for the Rooneys to allow it.

Thanks Peezy.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I miss Peezy attitude on gameday jawing at opponents on the field was a great Steeler.

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Alright, my bad. Didn't even occur to me. It was a little insensitive. I just always hated him. Can't delete it now, though.

8. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Funny, but there is nothing about this on the Steeler web site, nor on the NFL web site. NFL still has him listed as a Cardinal. Since I have never heard of the "...Steeler's Ring of Honor." I am wondering if this is just a hoax or someone's wishful thinking.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Peezy was a very servicable player for the Steelers. Had some very good years,
    the Steelers had a decision to make on FA and chose Aaron Smith over Peezy.
    Sort of like whats happening now with Antonio Brown/Mike Wallace A choice will have to be made.
    WHO RIDES WE RIDE!

10. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Maybe it's just me but this sort of thing just seems kind of goofy and irrelevant.

I've been working in the same profession for 25 years and when I started with Company A, I left after a few short years in order to go to company B for more monetary compensation and a possible retirement plan, then Company B had a shareholder setback so I went to Company C and then Company B came calling again so I went back to Company B which then a few years later decided they didn't need my services anymore (sent job overseas) so now I am with Company D.

Even though Company A is about out of businesss from Company B's decision making (they bought company A) and Company C was just a stepping stone. Compnay D only uses me for contractor services and does not do enough for my retirement purposes. Should I go back and knock on Company B's door asking for a one day return just to say I really wanted this to be my final destination even though it wasn't in your plans for me and 5500 of my co-workers?

Now after 25 yrs my retirement plan is spelled L-O-T-T-E-R-Y but as we all know I have a better chance of being hit by lightning. Ah' the good ole USA. See Yinz at Walmart when I 70. Unfortuntey, those greeting jobs are in high demand at that age.

To me, Peezy coming back for one day doesn't make him anymore of a Steeler, then he was a Cardinal or a Dolphin.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You think you hated him, think about Cleveland.

12. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    No need to apologize, it's a discussion board. I had mixed feelings on Porter myself but he was a monster (2005 playoffs in particular). Only the Steelers could drop a linebacker like him and end up with an upgrade.

I'd say he's ring of honor worthy just for what he did to Manning in the 2005 playoffs.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I hated the way Porter ran his mouth, I'm not a fan of that bs but I liked his play on the field and will always be grateful for him helping us get another ring.

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Is he doing another one-day contract before retiring? Have these things only just come in, or have I just not noticed before? Seems like everyone is doing it...

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    According to him, he is going to sign back up so he can retire.
    He said he spoke with Rooney, Colbert, and the coaches.-

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    His appalling use of a double negative will tarnish his reputation forever for me.

17. tbrucemom

tbrucemom Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I always liked Joey. His best years were definitely with the Steelers and I think in his heart he stayed one. I still have the Sports Illustrated with him on the cover titled "The Most Dangerous Man in Football" or something along those lines. I miss his motivation. I know sometimes his mouth got him in trouble but he was usually defending the Steelers so I didn't mind.

18. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    'very serviceable'

OK, I just had to laugh, a bit.
    I will vote for this as, the 'Most Understated Post of the Year'.

WE RIDE!
    WE RIDE!
    WE RIDE!

19. JD99

JD99 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
  20. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    That's pretty much exactly how I feel/have felt about him. I couldn't stand to listen to his crap in interviews, but I did appreciate his play. Because of that, i have mixed feelings about him retiring as a Steeler, but if that's the way it is, so be it.

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah porter ran his mouth but he backed it up every single time. He had a swagger i think our team needed at the time. He was very well liked in the locker room and when your boy runs his mouth you help him back it up. I knew when he said he wanted to be the highest paid olb in the league he was gone. He had that defense so fired they were looking to straight destroy whoever was in font of them.

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  23. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011

Huh?

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

(just playing 4Evr :wave: )

25. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sorry that nobody could see my logic.

Maybe if Peezy wanted to retire a Steeler he should have not moved on to be a Cardinal or a Dolphin.

Go out as Hines Ward did even though I think he got shafted.