1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Poor defensive drafting is to blame

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ender, Jan 15, 2018.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think we can blame the defensive coaching for about 70% of our failures on that side of the ball. Sure we've had some busts, most notably Jarvis Jones, but we also have players who seem to have decent skills who regress after flashing some ability and also don't seem to have very high football IQs. That is coaching, plain and simple.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Is that drafting, or coaching?

3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Maybe both

4. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Might've worked yesterday going along with your personnel shakeup. but we'd be ****ed again this Sunday
    Just like last year as our team refuses to shake anything up. James could've set the edge and stopped the bleeding in the run game this year and maybe added another sack or 2 at various times but the Chiefs won't budge. Timmons ain't at this point in time worth the dough he wanted and now has buyers remorse. Shazier injury couldn't be foretold, but if we had staff with half a brain to figure the go around in that scenario we would've been ok. A moats cut probably would've mattered none. Hell even a Mitchell cut as he has not done jack this season. It would of been the same without him particularly in my opinion, but I could've lived with it as to there was no justification for his being here based purely on the outcome of his play.

Thing is brother, regardless of shaking things up this way or that... We have a unit refusing to attempt to go outside the box with their thinking. Maybe we could've beat Jax and should've... But it would've been the same old same with NE simply because they will not adjust to cover weaknesses nor bench the folks not cutting it if for no other reason than to find an unsuspected spark in the process.

Execution goes only so far... Executing adjustments needing to b made makes a huge difference

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm not understanding all the Hargrave hate going on in several threads. He didn't have as many splash plays this year, but I didn't think he regressed. Maybe he was used differently this year? Dude still hustle's all over and was graded very highly by PFF I thought.

6. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Hargrave is in a dying breeds position especially with all of the hybrid packages they run. He is not Casey never will be and is not in the same package ran in cases era regardless of if it all feels the same.

It's getting pretty apparent that we need another Hargrave next to the current Hargrave in a 4-3. 3-4 is on its way out (atleast in this town) until its second coming. D line is expected to generate push and pressure with this lineup... Lbs to cover etc...

If they want line pressure and backer coverage so much, go 4-3 and get creative with such
    We've seen it done before.