1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: Yes or No, Will the Steelers Draft One of These Risky guys? Ray, Gregory, Peters, La'el, PJ

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by HugeSnack, Apr 28, 2015.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Aparently the cops wana talk to him prty bad..When this story broke his lawyer told the cops he was out of twn for the draft, and he would talk to them when the draft is over. today it was reported Collins left CHI to go talk to the police.. :hmmm:

2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Just make a Sane and logical pick is all I ask. As far as the poll goes, I could care less. I hope we don't take any of them! Sure they could be this or that blah, blah, blah, but they could also be the next suspension machine/new league head case.

i honestly wish that the league would take a stance. "You're fixing to be included in the club... Pan out or not, you're gonna make some decent money... But at this point we want to try and keep our brand clean so sorry but you're not invited" something like that.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm a little worried about Peters being the pick now. I saw him on NFL Network talking to the guys, not sure his personality is a good fit. Plus they were saying Marshawn Lynch is one of his friends, that cant' be good.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Lynch may be an azz to the media, but I've never heard a bad word from teammates. Have I missed something?

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    thanks, should be a story to watch develop. Good thing is, I thought I heard they were able to save the child.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Sure it does. Why was he texting advice to guys still on the team? Because he wasn't on the team, because he was so damn stupid he got himself thrown off. Saying, "I didn't mean it baby. I'm sorry. I'll change" doesn't undo the damage. And it's not like he didn't have plenty of warnings. He didn't get kicked off spur of the moment. He got kicked off because of who he was, and the way he proved it again and again. I'll rephrase: he doesn't care enough to keep himself from getting kicked off.

And that doesn't even mention the choking. Even without the choking - which, even if it was exaggerated or something, there's no way it's completely made up. He likely did something very wrong - but even without the choking, that's a whole lot of opportunities to prove you've changed, and a whole lot of failures. He just kept coming back again and again until he was off the team. He still hasn't proven he's changed. He won't even have a chance to do that until he's been in the NFL for a year.

Those things (except the choking) individually might not be as bad as carrying pot around the week of the draft, but together they show a clear pattern. The pattern is being stupid, selfish, and screwing himself and his team. Maybe he's changed! I really don't know. How could I? But I know he can't back up any promises he makes right now. He's got nothing to point to.

It's kinda like Ifo and his ACL injury. He could rebound 100% and be an absolute steal in the 3rd. Or he could never play a down and be a complete bust in the 3rd. We don't know, because he hasn't had a chance to prove himself recovered. Kikaha, on the other hand, tore two ACLs, but then played two full seasons and looked great. To me, Peters is in Ifo's boat, except instead of an injury it's a bunch of unpleasantness; and he can make promises, but I bet he made them before as well - probably every single time he got in trouble.

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Didn't Lynch have a hit and run/DUI when he was in Buffalo? That probably doesn't mean much since it was so long ago, but still...

I'd still take him, but not before a couple other guys come off the board.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't agree, you don't try to help your teammates when your not on the team anymore if you dont care, its not like he was trying to get thrown off. Lets not forget his age either, he's a kid, not a 30 year old Moss type player causing trouble.

I don't care that he failed a drug test in 2011, thats 4 years ago and hasn't failed one since. He didn't get caught doing something stupid 1 week before the biggest moment of his life, which is far more egregious to me then having a temper and immature.

I think the choking was totally made up. His coaches even invited him to participate for his pro day. I've also read where the coaches have admitted that they are partly to blame and could have handled things better.

I think a NFL team with veteran players and an NFL coaching staff will handle and guide this kid much better.

Peters issues barely register on my uh oh meter compared to the others.

9. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    It's entirely possible he'll turn it around, but it takes a LOT of **ck-ups for a star player to get kicked off a team, and that was a lot of excuses you just threw out there.

But I'll tell ya what - let's call it a truce for the next 24 hours. If we take him, you're right. If Baltimore takes him, I'm right. :thumbs_up:

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I mocked him to Baltimore :lolol:

Lets keep in mind the context of your poll, he's the lesser evil of all the other choices you gave. I'm not advocating for the Steelers to take him, I want Rowe if they go CB.

I do think Peters has tremendous upside though, I wouldn't be upset with the pick and would just keep my fingers crossed.

11. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I was keeping the context in mind. I'm not so sure he's the lesser of the evils. The way it sounds like you see it is a kid that will learn a lesson and be done with it vs. a bunch of junkies. One could also see it as a man who really is that a-hole at his core (that's not unlikely; there are plenty of them out there) and will fail to learn his lesson and history will repeat itself vs. a couple guys that had a stupid habit but don't have any kind of real addiction to pot and will cut it out once they put it together how many millions of dollars are at stake. Sliding in the draft and losing all that money - that's a lesson they'll feel. We're in agreement it's possible to be addicted to pot, but unlike other drugs, I don't think most of its users are addicted. But I don't know, I'm out of my element there.

Either way, if we go with any of these guys, we'll have to keep our fingers crossed for a loooong time. If we end up with Kevin Johnson or Eric Rowe, we might not get as good CB play, but at least I'll be able to sleep.

12. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    1- college coaches don't kick their star players off the team for minor bs... Peters no thank you

2- Melvin had 400 rushing yds vs Nebraska .. Gregory no good vs run. No thanks

3- Shane injured, smoking dope, mad at the world, dad in prison.. Pass

Cajun

13. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    LOL Not bad concise and to the point.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, I'm not advocating for Gregory by any means, but I recall watching that game when I was evaluating him and Wisconsin generally ran away from Gregory, or ran plays inside of him when he correctly played contain responsibilities on the outside. He got blocked out of a couple of good runs, but that 400 yard performance was mostly on the inside defenders at Nebraska. Just being fair.

15. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    If any, I'd say Peters.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I could only find a misdemeanor weapons charge in California for which he was suspended 3 games in 2009. Had a gun in his backpack. I didn't search to deep, he may have had a DUI.:shrug:

17. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Disagree, I recall him getting pancaked!!!! Slow to get off blocks when trying to defend the run. Taking bad angles and also not correctly diagnosing the play, over pursuing the pass when it was a run play. The badgers ran at him alot because they scouted and knew his weakness.

Cajun

18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Man, with the new drug policy, these guys are already at strike one with the league....second strike for a "mistake" will be costly.