1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: Yes or No, Will the Steelers Draft One of These Risky guys? Ray, Gregory, Peters, La'el, PJ

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by HugeSnack, Apr 28, 2015.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Shane Ray, Randy Gregory, Marcus Peters, La'el Collins, and PJ Williams.

There was a point in time where only one or two of those guys was going to be on the board for us. Now maybe they all will. Their problems range from possible drug addiction, possible involvement in a murder, on-field temper tantrums and fights with coaches, and DUI, and 4 of them they have proven so stupid that you can't trust them to play in the NFL without becoming suspended. Come Monday, will the Steelers have drafted any of those guys? If yes, post which one.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Gregory I don't know much beyond the failed drug test but I read that they had him in for a visit possibly to gauge how big a problem he has (ala Mike Adams ) or to really find out what his character is. Sometimes things you get involved with when you are young, snowball and you have a hard time getting beyond them.

3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If they do, it will be Peters. Some of the stuff reportedly never happened.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I voted yes. I think we are willing to take a chance on high end talent that has fallen due to some issues this year. We arent far off from making a super bowl run IMO, so one of these guys could be a big time player in helping us get back there. If I had to guess who it is, I'll also go with Peters. I wouldn't be at all shocked if it were Ray or Gregory tho.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Put me down for Peters as the likely suspect. I'd rather not take him at 22, but I'd be more comfortable with him later in the 1st if we trade down to pick up another 3rd, and then double dip with another corner with a 3rd round pick.

i can't see Ray or Gregory as the pick in the 1st, and I can't see either of them getting past the needier teams at the top of the 2nd. If they do, then it's really hard to resist taking one in the 2nd. I don't buy the 4th round comment by the ex GM of the Bucs.

7. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I think Peters is the only option of that group, but also have a feeling he's going early...maybe even the first CB off the board. If the Steelers would be comfortable with him, so too will other teams.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm going with no. rowe, Johnson or jones are my bets. I just don't see a #1 at all 4 LB positions.:cool:

9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yes, Peters, and the rest will be off the board for their 2nd pick.

10. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Ideal!!

11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I voted no.....

You can't help us while suspended !!! You can't help us if you can't be coached or get an attitude due to a lack of playing time or whatever.

Ray had what can be called a troubled life growing up, dad in prison and angry at the world attitude all the way into college. Thought he settled down, grew up and ready to be a responsible man..... this incident hurt him, he's down on many boards but he'll still go before rd 3 begins. This could push up orchard though, before we pick in the second.

Don't be surprised if we go OT in the 1st and corner in the 2nd..... or WR in the 1st.

Cajun

12. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It seems to me like everyone, on this board and elsewhere, has decided Peters is less of a risk than Gregory and Ray. Am I the only one that doesn't see it that way? Those guys carry a risk of being suspended if they don't change, but Peters carries a risk of dragging down the team and getting booted out the door. Peters' "mistakes" were open and public. There was no element of thinking he wouldn't get caught.

Gregory and Ray displayed massive stupidity, but Peters did enough crap wrong enough times to show he doesn't care about his team, doesn't care if he hurts it, and couldn't or wouldn't change. Why are we expecting that to get better more than we are pot? I don't know if any of them will change, but Ray and Gregory seem like they're closer to quick fixes, whereas Peters seems like he needs to change who he is as a person.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

wouldn't suprise me either.:cool:

14. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    You're exactly right, and I've been saying all along that Peters' risk of being a mental case far outweigh the risk of Ray and Gregory as potheads. But I still think PIT will draft Peters.

15. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Individual tendencies discovered early is always a plus..voted NO

16. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Sounds like you can go ahead and add Collins to the mix. Terrible timing and very unfair to him if it turns out that he is completely innocent

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    A guy at work told me that most of these guys are dropping almost completely off most teams boards. Some falling to 4-6th rounders.

18. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I've never been high on Gregory (no pun intended). His sacks for most of the year were gimme ones on top of the consistent failing of drag tests.
    Ray still stands a chance since I think he was only caught the once (possibly similar to Mike Adams)
    Peters I think has the best chance and I would draft him if Dupree isn't on the board.
    Collins I'm just starting to hear about his situation so I think he is a hell no.
    Williams only if he's still around in the 5th or later.

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I see the Steelers going for Peters as well if not taken by the 49ers before

20. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

if will be like this i would be very interested ..lael collins in the 4th , ray in the fifth and peters in the 6th .:eek: f...k !!!!!!!
    i would take them all

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Wow! Didn't know he was a drag queen as well! That can't even come close to being a believable look for him! No wonder he's failing those tests!

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I voted yes. I haven't seen the whole story on La'el Collins, but if he's available, that's a good talent. Wasn't he just being interviewed to gather information on his ex? and potential fathers? Seems like routine questioning and not as a suspect.

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    No no.... What he means is that Gregory wasn't able to inhale enough weed with one drag. That's the drag test. The good news - he's dedicated to improving his performance in that test... But he's going to wait until his signing bonus check clears.

24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    NFL Network keeps matching us up with Peters at 22. They just did it again. I'm nervous about him, but.... If he truly gets over his mental issues he can be a good value pick at 22. If they go that route I hope that they've thoroughly vetted him. I guess I'd take him over Landon Collins. At least I know that Peters can defend the pass at an NFL level.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Because for me, the biggest mark against him never occurred, his own coaching staff called the choking incident BS. They said they had their issues with him but he never got physical with any of them. He was also texting with his teammates after his dismissal helping them game plan for a game he wasn't going to play in, including helping the player replacing him. Doesn't sound like a guy that doesn't care about them.

In the end, I think its a lot easier to grow up than to kick a drug habit.