1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Question: Was Sunday's defensive performance the worst in Steelers' postseason history?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    80.4%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Not sure

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Everyone knew including the coaches that the Defense was very suspect on several levels this season which begs the question of why win the coin toss and elect to have them take the field first. Once they waltzed right down the field for an easy 7 points then it puts them in great shape to dictate the game with their much faster and more disciplined defense.

Without a doubt this was by far the worst defense I've ever seen in a post season game. I'm not just talking for the Steelers either, I mean throughout the league. They went up against Blake Bortles who looked he had a noodle arm against the Bills.

The Steelers had zero pressure all game long, didn't stack the box and couldn't make a stop on any 3rd downs.

The only thing that made it close was Ben was on fire in the second half.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    We had a great defense in 94'.........I can still see that big tight end Alfred Papunu running down the side line and scoring ....still pisses me off....they looked past San Diago big time that year...making a super bowl video and had super bowl shirts made.....coach Cower did this crap too...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    For one play, that one actually was more painful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Tebow was worse

12-4 playing a wildcard lol

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think it's probably too soon to make a judgement on where it ranks in the history of the franchise.

It's the game that's fresh on our minds, so it's the one that seems the worst. We spent the whole of last off-season talking about the AFCCG like it was the only game the Steelers played all year. No doubt we will do the same this year as well.

If I was going for balance, I'd say I've seen Steelers team play much worse in all three phases in the play offs, but probably not seen a defense on its own that bad.

6. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I say it was the worst I've seen and I'm old enough that I've watched since the Bicentennial, '76. The 94 disaster wasn't as bad as this because the SD had a decent offense, it wasn't as bad as the Jags offense. Bortles ran for more yards than he threw for against Buffalo, and i'm so sick of seeing teams throw 3 yard screen passes that go for 20 on a regular basis.

The Tebow game was bad but Tebow wasn't good, he only completed 10 passes but he average 31 yards per pass play. The problem with that game was the defense was old, there was nobody on the d-line that was worth anything and teams could run at will, I think they had 11 or 12 RBs that ran for over 100 yards against them that year.

So facing a QB that wasn't good they loaded up the box and shut the run down, the issues was Ike Taylor, he was getting torched for big gains and that game went to OT. The Jags game was Bortles throwing a screen for 12 yards, then Fournette would run up the middle for 8 and then Bortles would complete a short pass across the midde for 7 and the he play actioned and dumped a 30 yard TD pass. Or how about the play action and the 47 yard completion? He had more yards passing in the first 2 drives than he had in the last 8 quarters....Yeah, this was the worst defensive performance I've ever witnessed in the post season by any Steelers team.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Isn't it funny how teams playing us throw screen passes that go for 20 yards on a consistent basis and our screens seem to go for 2 yards on a consistent basis.:hmm:

8. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    The 94 Steelers had two hall of famers in Greene and Woodson,plus another handful of very good players /pro bowlers on The defense [Lloyd,Chad Brown,Kirkland,Lake,Perry]...San Diago had an average QB with almost as many picks as touchdowns....best reciever caught 50 balls and a good running back in Natron Means with 1300 yards on the ground....THAT LOSS WAS DEVESTATING....TO GO TO THE SUPER BOWL..AT HOME

• Agree Agree x 1