1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Polamalu has always tackled wrong.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 4EvrH8O'donnel, Nov 27, 2011.

1. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    When he first started out, he missed and gave up big plays.
    Now he nails them and can't come back.
    The best place he can be right now is in the secondary. Turn him into a ball hawk.

2. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    What is it, 3 concussions this year? Dude is gonna have a short career the way he's going.

3. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Hate to say it, because I love the guy, but....
    He is the worst example of "form tackling", or "the proper way to make a tackle", in the league!
    And his career is almost certain to be shorter, because of it...
    He is "The human torpedo"... which is all good, when he connects... but...
    When he misses, the guy is going by him, and he ain`t never gonna get to his feet quick enough to catch up to him!
    It`s a very "high risk/high reward" way to play the game...
    Certainly nothing I would ever coach a kid to do, not to mention the chance of injury...
    I thought it was his shoulder that he hurt tonight.
    As soon as they said it was his head, I was just like.. "Welll Hell... He`s done for the day!"...
    Damn shame.
    He is one of a kind, and I would never presume, to tell him how to play the game!
    His instincts, and speed are simply incredible....
    But if I was gonna teach a kid how to tackle, I would tell him to do the opposite! NEVER leave your feet!!! to begin with...
    Lead with your shoulder(into the waist), and wrap both arms around the runner....
    But Troy is Troy... Unfortunately, I think his style is going to lead to a shortened career, (especially with the prior concussions)... and I just hate those rare occasions when he misses an open field tackle, and the ruuner can keep going up the field...
    Especially for a "safety", even tho he isn`t a typical one... they should have a solid open field tackling technique, because they are usuallly the "last line of defense"...
    Then again, they don`t usually play on the line, and jump over a center, to sack the quarterback! ;)

4. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Love 43 and 25....Hate their tackling tech....Always going for the big hit....Just wrap up and bring the guy down

5. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  6. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    His launching himself every single time just isn't serving him or the team right now. He doesn't actually connect all that often, then can't correct to get back in the play. I wish he'd worry less about flying over the top and more about actually bringing people down. I love the man, wear his jersey, but he's kind of turned into a one trick pony and teams are prepared for him now.

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I didn't think it would happen so soon, but you seriously got to consider finding a replacement for him...These concussions are coming easier and more often.

Something else has changed in him as well, there are some plays in the open field he doesn't even attempt to make anymore that he used to make all the time, I'm wondering if it is due to his body breaking down already?

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Niiiice. That's some textbook, wrap em up tackling right there. Troy has always been a 'money shot' type tackler. Its got its ups and downs. One of the downs being he pays for it with his health, both short term and long term. Tomlin said today that hasn't shown any concussion symptoms and fully expects him to play Sunday.