1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Poe,Still,Hightower or Glenn

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Tdot Steeler Fan, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Tdot Steeler Fan

Tdot Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The Steelers are on the clock at 24 and (hopefully) Dontari Poe, Devon Still, Donta Hightower and Cordy Glenn remain on the board. This is a likely situation (although Im not sure after Poe's impressive combine) but who would you take with your pick ? :yeehaw:

2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    If it's that then Poe for sure. He has a very high ceiling for a #24 pick. However I think he'll be gone by 24 after the combine.

After that it's Hightower, Glenn, Still. I would love Still if we hadn't taken Heyward last year... He'd a 3-4 DE, not a NT.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Going to agree 100% with SBD on the order. Still is not even on my list, unless they are 100% sure that they want to move Ziggy to nose. Even then, he's not very high.

4. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    On board with the above in the same order. Except I would not take Still at all.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    my choice in order of availability
    poe glenn martin kueckly adams hightower

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Poe is top 15 talent easy... no way he falls to the Steelers...

7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Still think Glenn. We need a NFL-caliber guard desperately and Glenn has the athleticism to be a force. Much like Poe does, but the thing that bothers me about Poe is lack of procution in a very weak conference. Poe's combine performance has everyone talking, much more so than before the combine. People seem to forget that Glenn put in a great showing as well. Seems like every fan in the NFL wants Poe to be drafted by their team after a great combine performance.

Glenn over Poe in a close call.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree with ya GB. i still think they are gone though before we pick. :cool:

9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    One thing I have learned about the draft, especially when it comes to Steeler drafts, is that this is WAY too early to stress too much about who will and won't be gone. Every team that wants to draft Poe after his combine could look at his tape and just not see it there. Maybe teams mark him as a workout warrior. Who knows? It is just way too early. For all we know...all of these guys could be gone and DeCastro could still be there.

10. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Man I hope that the 23 teams picking in front of the steelers are thinking the same way you are that Poe is a workout warrior and not a player because of his poor showing during his senior year. Did it ever accure to you that maybe he was the only good player on his college team and that he might have been double, even triple teamed because there were no other good player on his team. There is no way that a guy, that big, that strong, and that fast will ever be blocked by one man in the nfl. The fact that he is even mentioned in the same sentence with Haloti Nata is huge by itself.

I see him as a can't miss player especially with the Steelers and John Mitchell as his coach.

11. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    What? Why would I do that? I like to just throw out blanket statements without ever doing any research or putting any thought behind what I post.

All kidding aside, that was the first thing I thought to myself when I saw his stat line, which was pedestrian; "Maybe he's the only guy on the defense so he gets double and triple teamed all game long". Even still, if he is as dominant as some claim him to be, or claim him to become, he should've put up much better stats vs the good old Conference USA. Getting voted SECOND Team Conference USA by the coaches is a red flag to me (you'd think he'd be unanimous first team if he was being double-teamed all season, coaches understand that kind of thing). Memphis ranking 90th in the nation defending the run is a red flag to me (if he's supposed to come into the NFL and immediately turn around a defense and plug the middle, why couldn't he do it against C-USA "talent"?) That an opposing coach has gone on record stating that Poe has been known to take more plays off than the normal wide-body is a red flag to me (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... plays-off/). That his high school production is even less impressive than his collegiate is a red flag to me (63 tackles, 8 sacks as Junior, Honorable Mention All-State as Senior). He did dominate in track and field, which supports his status as workout warrior.

I understand that he could be a good player in the NFL, but he's not the lock that a lot of people are making him out to be after a strong performance in spandex. Poe's measurables surpass those of Ngata and Suh, widely regarded as the best DT's in the league. However, when you look at on-field production Suh and Ngata just leave Poe behind. The great ones have a history of domination and accolades; Poe doesn't have that. I'd be fine with drafting Poe at #24, but there are better options out there that have a track record of production.

12. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    What is the story on Glenn?

....sounds like he has a lot of good measurables at he combine. What does the tape say?

13. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Honestly not sure; he's not really my main guy so haven't checked a lot of his stuff out yet. Glenn vs Poe is more of a OL vs DL question for me at this point, and I feel our OL can use more help. As of now I consider Poe and Glenn to be equal talents at their respective positions. I'm not done dissecting Poe's career, and I have yet to really seriously begin on Glenn, so that opinion may change. The overall tone on my previous post re: Poe was negative, and that wasn't on accident. The guy has talent; I'm just hesitant to say that it'll ever be fully realized.

14. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Honestly not sure; he's not really my main guy so haven't checked a lot of his stuff out yet. Glenn vs Poe is more of a OL vs DL question for me at this point, and I feel our OL can use more help. As of now I consider Poe and Glenn to be equal talents at their respective positions. I'm not done dissecting Poe's career, and I have yet to really seriously begin on Glenn, so that opinion may change. The overall tone on my previous post re: Poe was negative, and that wasn't on accident. The guy has talent; I'm just hesitant to say that it'll ever be fully realized.[/quote:99giyu0h]

My argument on Poe in another thread was not wether he is good or not, I think he might be better than a Devon Still or a Jerel Worthy. My thing is he looks to me a 4-3 DT or a 3-4 DE....if he isn't a true NT then he is not a good fit here because we are filled at that position.