1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Please Keep Cotchery

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jsteelers077, Jan 9, 2012.

1. jsteelers077

jsteelers077 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This guy is our younger ward we have to retain him this off season.

2. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I agree, Cotchery was a quality signing and we waited too long to utilize him. He is the possesion receiver we need to mix in amoung all the speed WR's. I am also not very happy with Mike Wallace the 2nd half of the season. He seems to have regressed and doesnt look focused out there. He doesnt fight for the ball when its in the air and his hands have become suspect to me....just an observation, I think he can be great, but lately has been horribly underperforming.

3. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I concur with both posts above, though I'm not totally convinced Wallace's issues were related to him solely. Ben over or underthrew him quite a bit and there were lots of balls that Wallace just wasn't in the position to grab. That said, I love Cotchery, though I keep thinking with our deep WR set we're just stacking the deck against ourselves to some extent. We've gotten so far away from the ground game, and we just need more balance in general. Ben's just not as accurate anymore (and man, was he in a hurry to get out of that pocket last night, sure showed his lack of faith in protection) and we need as strong a bunch of RBs as we've put into the WRs. Redman is fantastic when he can hold onto the ball, but other than that, I'm less than confident in two other backs who just can't stay healthy and produce consistently. When they're on, they're really on, but when they're not, we need a better answer than lining up five wide. We're too predictable.

Anyhoo... sorry to hijack the thread a bit.

4. punkneater

punkneater Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    I definately agree! Cotchery is Mr. clutch!! We can't let him go.

5. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    lol at all of you.

one good catch and he's quality, young, up-coming, we need him.

If he had dropped that end-zone pass, you'd be hanging him along with the rest of the team.

6. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    we arent just talking about last night, its been evident over the past month or so, that Cotchery has been given more opportunities and he has produced. We like what we see and we want to see him stick around. Its not just about last night.

7. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's definitely about more than last night. He was 16 receptions for 237 yards on the season. 14.8 yard average. 2 TDs. For a guy who didn't see much play, I was pretty happy because when he out there, he produced.

8. punkneater

punkneater Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Without a doubt Cotchery produces when called upon-- he's been Mr. clutch all season. Anyone who's been watching our games knows this. lol

I suppose it'll come down to how much money he wants in 2012 as to whether or not we keep him.

9. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I liked the pick-up in the offseason and I really like it now. Did he sign only a 1 yr deal? Or was it longer? Either way, his services need to be retained as 86 rides off into the sunset. And hopefully sanders feet issues go away becuase I think he can be good. Brown is the best player on the team and Wallace will be gone next yr if he seeks too much money. Even if wallace bails we should still be in decent shape going forward. WOuld like to see a quick TE with good hands selected to complement Miller. Not that BA would utilize him:)

10. jsteelers077

jsteelers077 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I have liked Cotchery all season long we just dident use him enough but when we did he produced. I say hines ward retires and wallace wants this huge pay which i expect. We let wallace go and sign Cotchery to a 2 year deal. Next season our starting WR would be Brown 1 Sanders 2 Cotchery 3 thats still a pretty good group of wide outs. Along with Redman in the back field for at least the start of the season.