1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Playoff talk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Sixpack, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Sixpack

Sixpack Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why all the playoff talk? The way we are playing, I'm not sure I would want them in the playoffs and lose in the first round. Everyone knows the team on a roll going into the playoffs is usually the one to watch out for and that starts now....not wait until the then. Would you say the Steelers are hitting their stride????? Not sure why people aren't predicting this, we still have a couple of losses ahead......including one to the clowns.

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    wait is this a joke....the clowns?....CMON MAN

3. Sixpack

Oct 26, 2011
    Have u seen us play this year? I would say the clowns r better than the colts and chiefs.

4. BigBlockSteelers

BigBlockSteelers Active Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Please stop all the non-sense with the clowns....I predicted 12-4 before the season started and 12-4 is the worse we end-up. Problem is New England has the 32nd ranked schedule this year so look for them to finish 13-3 and who know with the ravens, probally 12-4 for them also. This puts us at the #5 seed and a trip to either OAK, HOU or TN in round 1.

5. SoFlaSteelNation

SoFlaSteelNation Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hold the reins there buddy. I'm just as upset as the next guy over the KC performance, but this is still the defending AFC champion Pittsburgh Steelers we're talking about. This team beat the Patriots and while we don't always win pretty or blow out inferior teams, we're always going to have a chance at the end of the day with the talent we have on the field.

Don't jump ship so quickly....the Browns? Get serious

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

:this!:

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  8. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    the way you are using "we" and "us" to describe the play of the Steelers makes me think you should be cut. you obvously stink. especially if your predicting a loss to the Browns already.

listen. this team is 8-3. have they lit the world on fire? no, but they also have been winning without playing their best. this team has too much talent to just wilt away. they have 5 games to get their game, or should i say, you guys have 5 games to get things straightened out.

the offense is moving the ball, but they are settling for field goals and leaving too many points out there. the defense has been ok, but they need to start forcing turnovers like they did last sunday and they need to start getting to the qb. Woodley has been missed.

a lot of people use to say Woodley only gets sacks because of Harrison. well Harrison has been almost non exsitent without Woodley. all 4 lbs feed off of each other. Timmons game also hast been the same without Harrison and Woodley. once those guys are all back and healthy this team will be fine.

9. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm with lovembig...they are 8-3 and haven't even played their best ball. Aren't you glad that they are 8-3 with the way they have played? There is still plenty of time to put things together and get hot. I believe they will...why would I believe otherwise? What fun is it going to be to concede, at 8-3, that they suck and don't belong? I would really hate to see how some of you deal with life. Half the fun of the season, life for that matter, is the ride. I hope they go undefeated the rest of the season. Yes, I get down when they lose. Sure, one of the high points of my week is when they win. Either way, its a fun ride to the end of the season and I'm going to enjoy it win, lose or draw.

10. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    :amen:

11. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Stop it with all the sky is falling, we're going to lose to the clowns talk.

The way this season is going is the way all seasons go for the Steelers. They don't always dominate when they should, they don't score as many points as we'd like, the media pretty much ignores talking about them as an elite team, yada yada yada. The bottom line is we're 8-3. As bad as we played against KC, we won a game we were supposed to win. Baltimore can't say that about their trips to Jacksonville or Seattle, can they?

Think back to our recent Super Bowls. In 05 we were left for dead after a three game losing streak in late November capped by a crushing loss to Cincy. In 09 we had a game early in the year against Philly when we got killed and couldn't score a TD, a blown 4th quarter lead vs. Indy, a win over SD when we struggled to score and a blowout loss late in the season at Tennessee, that year's #1 seed. The bottom line is that the Steelers always give people reason to doubt them but then always come through when everyone writes them off and starts talking about how much they are struggling.

I understand a first round bye would be huge but I'm not ready to write us off from getting one yet. As I said earlier, Baltimore has proven it can lose games it should win. We have shown all year that we beat all the teams we definitely without a doubt should beat (our losses are to good teams). That being said, I see a loss for the Ratbirds (SD maybe) and us to play well enough to win the 4 games left on our schedule in which we are clearly the better team. As for that 5th game, I like our chances of winning a statement game in SF on MNF.

12. Sixpack

Oct 26, 2011
    U guys crack me up.....I'm more of a realist. So that I understand, the logic is we will get it together come playoff time, we beat the teams we are suppose to beat, but lose to the good teams? Well I sure hope there r a lot of bad teams in the playoffs.

13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    At 8-3 it would be a very big suprise if the Steelers fail to make the playoffs. 10-6 will almost certainly make the playoffs. I gotta believe, even in the worse case scenario, the Steelers win 2 games. They're playing a dome team (STL) at home, and they have 2 games vs Cleve. Just taking those three into consideration, what would you assess the probabilty that they win at least 2 of those 3? 80%? More? They're favored at home vs Cincy. Right off @SF as a loss if you like. But if this team is not 11-5 or 12-4, I'll be shocked.

14. Sixpack

Oct 26, 2011
    Not saying we won't make the playoffs but if we don't get a whole lot better quick....we will be one and done.

15. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    My point is that there are always concerns around our team and there are always reasons for thinking they won't produce. See my post above in which I listed some of the games in 2009 in which after those games you were probably thinking the same thing you are now...that we are doomed.

The Steelers have always found ways to make doubters believe and I feel like they will this year again, even if they aren't covering the point spread in all the games they win as of right now. When it comes to be playoff time, I'll take this team over anyone.

16. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That win over KC was ugly as hell, but that win over New England was sweet as hell.

17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

It was an ugly win, but we should ask the Ratbirds if they would take an ugly win over Seattle or Jacksonville.

18. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not ready to throw in the towel on the season, but the last performance vs KC has me very concerned. Why? Because the coaching staff seems unwilling or unable to make the necessary adjustments during a game to overcome defensive strategies that stall our offense.

NE played KC a week before we did. They struggled a lot early on to the point that it made the outcome seem in doubt. But what happened? All of a sudden NE seemed to be scoring at will and they win going away. Now, I personally find it unlikely that their success had to do with an unyielding commitment to the offensive gameplan they started with. Instead, I believe the NE coaching staff was able to identify what KC was doing defensively and make the necessary adjustments.

We play KC and struggle for nearly the entire game. Tomlin, in his Tuesday conference, confessed that it was apparent that Crennel (KC's D-coordinator) was very familiar with us and gameplanned well to stop our offense. Yet Crennel was formerly the NE D-coordinator and he is certainly very familiar with NE's offense. However, his familiarity was only enough to stimy NE's offense for about 1 1/2 quarters or so. Not so against us--we were stimied the entire game. What's the difference? The ability of NE's coaching staff to identify defensive strategies and counter them and our coaching staff's inability or unwillingness to do so.

Now, of course, the above is simply my opinion and conjecture to at least some degree. But it was not too long ago that Tomlin made a comment during a press conference about the coaching staff's commitment to gameplans. In short, he said that commitment to gameplans was important in order to keep the confidence of the men (players) on the team. I was disheartened to hear that then, and I still am today.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Tomlin. And though I wish we had the offensive line to play smash mouth-run the ball down the opponent's throat football, I don't mind "BA ball." Our current style of offense plays to our strengths and minimizes the weaknesses of our personnel. However, the ability to make game-time adjustments is what I believe separates good teams from great teams. And I just don't see evidence to suggest that this coaching staff makes such adjustments very well.

19. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    This is just the way football is, I would say the steelers were hitting a certain stride but obviously had a set back. I know it's cliche but the NFL truly is up one week down the next. The steelers were hitting a stride had a set back and after next week we could possibly say they're hitting a stride again...or maybe not. But it is truly a week to week thing sometimes.

Dont always look at how the team is playing right now and copy and paste that into the playoffs. Teams step up in the playoffs nearly all of them (seahawks) what you should look at is whether we can make the playoffs......and then the potential of the players on the team. When you do that you see why people say you dont want to see the steelers in the playoffs. Unless your the patriots of course........wait why did i bring that up? :shrug:

20. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You've been drinking tonight?

:shots:

21. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    To who? This team has the capability to crush any team out there in the AFC, and all but two in the NFC (GB & NO, who we can beat). You're making it sound like the defending AFC Champs are a bunch of chumps. 8-3, essentially tied for the #1 seed in the AFC with five games to go, and we'll be one-and-done!? Possible, but not bloody likely.

22. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The Steelers traditionally play their best football in December and guess what - it's December 1! There have been years that they have looked like a completely different football team in the games after Dec. 1st. This Sunday may be a big indicator. If they go out and dominate Cincinnati (I think they will.) - then I think they win out - even beating San Francisco. If they struggle against the Bengirls, then we could be in for a tough month - even though it is December.

Two other thoughts that make me nervous - one is the debacle that occurred 2 years ago, when they lost to two inferior teams in a Sunday-Thursday collapse. I'm scared to death that we could see that again (and living in Cleveland, it scares me even more because I'd never hear the end from the obnoxious Stains fans.).

Secondly, it makes me sick to think that the Steelers could win out - be 13-3 and STILL be the #5 seed in the playoffs. I know that the Steelers travel well, and their road record is decent, but I would much rather be watching Heinz field on CBS than any of those other stadia.

23. Sixpack

Oct 26, 2011

24. Sixpack

Oct 26, 2011
    Capable and actually doing, r 2 different things. When was the last time we crushed anyone?

25. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    2005-2006. The Steelers after 12 games were 7-5. Then had to run the table to make the playoffs. They did it. If you look at the recaps of that year, you will see a lot of similarities. The thing this team needs to do is....

1. Get healthy
    2. Start to fix issues and put together 1 or 2 games against people late in the year where everything just clicks.