1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

PLayoff seedings need to be revised.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steeldefense08, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    In all honesty, I wouldn't mind seeing the way the seeds change. Won't happen for this year. But maybe next year. Here's my proposal: Keep 1st and 2nd seeds with a Bye. 3rd seed hosts 6th seed. The 4th division winner only keeps the 4th seed if they have the same or better record than the 1st wildcard. This could create a lot of intrigue come the last week of the season. This gives the 1st wildcard (now 5th seed) something to play for. Furthermore, there now is a real difference between the 3rd and 4th seeds. Say the potential 3rd seed wins division with 2 weeks to go. Do they rest their players? Or do they keep winning to not fall to the 4th seed and potentially not secure a home playoff game.

With 4 divisions, there are several divisions each year that are weak. Good job winning 13 games San Fran, but any other year, your division is horrible and 9-7 is enough to win it. NFC East is won this year with a 9-7 record.

This rule wouldn't come into effect every year. But it would add some extra incentive for the better wildcard team to keep playing.

Another rule I'd like to see is to get rid of the Dallas and Denver hosted Thanksgiving Day games. Now that there are 3 games every year, let them switch everyother year. My proposal would be that the two superbowl teams from the previous year would each host a game.

Quite frankly, I think rule changes like these could be accepted without the outcry that the NFL is ruining the game. These subjective calls against defensive players have got to stop. One play there is no call, no fine, nothing. Next play there's a flag, followed by a fine, followed by a suspension. It's just BS.

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I think I'll thank the offense instead for their 7 turnover game in the first meeting. ;)

(Really? The one game our defense couldn't carry us and it's the D's fault we didn't win the division?)

3. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    leave it alone
    2007 Jags had to travel to Pittsburgh,they had a better record and they took care of business. we should do the same
    don't bother, we all know about the hold in 2007 game.
    bottom line go there and win if we are good then it shouldn't matter

4. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    This definitely needs to be changed, no question about it. The reward for winning your division is the automatic playoff berth, it doesn't need to be a home game as well. This is 2 years in a row with absolute ridiculous scenarios that bring this issue to light. The top 2 division winners would still get the byes and the rest of the qualifiers would be seeded based on their records and tie-breakers. It is a small change that is easily implemented and is an absolute no brainer! Here we go Steelers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    leave them the way they are. If it changed is would leave winning the division and division rivalries meaningless...that would be bad for football....

6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Levels the playing field, IMO. We'd still be playing Sunday even if the the teams were re-seeded, just in a different city. Winning the division (no matter how crappy the division) has to come with some kind of benefit (just ask the Seahags last year). Otherwise, we'd see a stacked division every year. As it is, B-more and the Steelers seems to be in the playoffs pretty much every year (I'd have to look it up to be sure). But the point is that a lot depends on who the division plays each season and how tough they division rivalries are. I remember NE being 11-5 in 2008 and not even making it in as a WC. I think the system works the way it is. Although, I'd like to see 2 more WC's and every team plays the first week of the playoffs

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What is this, the NHL? We don't need anymore teams making the playoffs. If you can't be one of the top 6 teams of the 16 in each conference, than you don't deserve the playoffs. Just think of the crappy teams that would put in this year...Chicago and Arizona in the NFC and Tennessee and San Diego in the AFC. I also think the bye benefits the top 2 teams. Hate to see that be lost, especially since most years, the Steelers are either the 1 or 2 seed.

8. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This is brought up every single time this happens. Which is usually once every couple years. This game is built on divisional rivals, not conference rivals. If you can't win your division, you are playing on the road in the playoffs.