1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

PLayoff seedings need to be revised.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steeldefense08, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    There should be no way a 12-4 team who is a wildcard heads to an 8-8 team's home for a playoff game. I think all 4 division winners earn a spot in the playoffs but the seedings should be based on record.

for example this year it should be ranked:

1 Pats
    2 ratbirds
    3. steelers
    4. texans
    5. cincy
    6. denver

2. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I think the Saints of last year would agree :lolol:
    ,,but what are you gonna do..

3. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes it sucks this year, but i think winning your division should have the bonus of at least 1 home playoff game.

4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's been this way for a long time. The Browns won the AFC Central in 1985 with an 8-8 record. The division should count for something.

5. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    i don't think it should be revised. if you can't win your division, it's your own damn fault. they let flacco go the length of the field in a minute on 'em. blame ryan clark, not the current seeding system.

6. webster

webster New Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Sorry but I have to disagree. From the start of the season each team knows the rules and how the playoffs work out. One of your goals is to win the division. If you can't get it done, then hope ya did good enough to earn a wild card. Obviously the Steelers would be ranked higher if your using common sense or going by standings. But here's the thing: the broncos did what was required of them to win their division. Even if the division was sorry, they got the job done. The Steelers fell short. Granted the AFC North is a lot stronger, it is what it is. Some years certain divisions will be stronger than others. Anyways, I love my steelers and hope they can win their 7th title. Here we go!

7. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree, since we aren't the benefactors of the playoff seeding right now it's easy to not like it, but at the end of the day I like the division winners getting at least 1 home game. If we beat the niners or one of the rats games we aren't even having this discussion.

8. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    nope teams should be rewarded for winning division. Our fault for not winning it.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nothing wrong with it, they won their division and we didn't. If they are so inferior to us then it really shouldn't matter where we play them. Been enough changes made lately, leave this one alone.

10. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I do not agree and neither would anyone on this board if we had won the division with an 8-8 record. You want a home game? Win your division. Guck Fudell already got me wanting to stop watching football (took the hitting out of the game). That would put me over the top

11. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    We have nobody to blame but ourselves (well, and maybe 2 refs in the last Raven game)

We had 3 chances to seize control not just of the division, but the whole AFC. We didn't.

On to Denver...

12. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What would you say if the Steelers were the 8-8 home team?

13. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I'd be fit to be tied. But that's a different issue. :)

I'd say we won our division and deserve a home game. But then, I'm not whining about having to go to Denver either. ;)

14. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    I say leave it alone. Denver got (I won't say won) the division. Now they get to lose at home.

15. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    :applaud:

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree the players know the rules going in. Leave the system alone
    lets get on a roll in Denver and not look back until Indy.

17. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What are they suppose to do? GET RID OF ROGER GOODELL!!!!!

18. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    :this!:
    Besides we could barely handle a 4&11 team :doh:

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Why does everyone look at the Browns record and assume they have no chance and are terribel? Top 10 defense and playing their last game of the season at home against a division rival. They always play us tough as do the other three teams in our division

20. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I dunno. A few years ago when the Jags had a better record than the Steelers and had to come to Pit for the 1st Round, did you think the seeding rule was bad then? If the divisions are to mean anything, winning the division has to be worth something. Otherwise just have one 16-team division in each conf and see them that way.

21. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I agree with most of the others. Winning the division needs to count for something. The NFL's scheduling system EMPHASIZES winning the division: teams within the division all play pretty much the same schedule.

If we go strictly on record, then what? The potential is there for a wild card team, with a cupcake schedule, to get seeded over the winner of a division where all four teams finished over .500 and beat each other up during the regular season.

22. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wow, this doesn't happen often, but :this!:
    JK bman!

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. Divisional games are usually tough contests.

24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm actually fine with the way it is. If you don't want to travel during the playoffs, then you better make damn sure you win enough games to get home field advantage throughout. The fact is, we lost 4 games, and if we hadn't lost those games, we would have home field advantage. In week 1 of every season, you control your own destiny, and this year we weren't good enough to get home field. That's on us, not the rules.

25. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    We were one 92 yard drive away from the #1 seed and home throughout the playoffs. You can thank the defense for that one.