1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Playoff Clinching Scenarios

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by truckin9999, Dec 5, 2011.

1. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers can clinch a playoff spot in week #14 with 1 of following 3 Scenarios :
    http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/steelersclinch.html
    http://joenfl.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/18374161/33724545 <<<<<<NEW LINK

THIS HAS BEEN UPDATED ON 12/6/11

1. Steelers beat the Browns, and
    Packers beat the Raiders, and
    Chiefs beat the Jets, and
    Texans beat the Bengals, and
    Bears beat the Broncos

2. Steelers beat the Browns, and
    Packers beat the Raiders, and
    Saints beat the Titans, and
    Texans beat the Bengals
    Bears beat the Broncos

3. Steelers beat the Browns, and
    Chiefs beat the Jets, and
    Saints beat the Titans, and
    Texans beat the Bengals

2. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Scenario #2 seems likely.

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i was making some counts , if we don't win the division (we lose in s.f )we have the 5th seed and the 4th should be the winner of the west (denver probably) . so our road depends how take the first 3seeds . then if houston win out and balt and new england lose one (best case scenario for us ).

houston 1
    balt 2
    ne 3
    denver 4
    pitt 5
    ????? 6

in this case if we win in denver and ne beat the 6th ,we will go in houston and ne in balt . only in this case we avoid one between balt and ne to go to :confused: the sb

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    let's root for one of these to happen then!

5. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    As of right now its:
    1.Pats
    2.Ravens
    3.Texans
    4.Broncos
    5. Steelers
    6.Bengals

How are they getting The Pats at No1? Pats, Ravens and Steelers all have 9-3 records. Steelers beat the Pats, but of course the Ravens beat us. They go by AFC conference record?

6. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Well, the Ravens still have 2 possible losses on their schedule.

@SD - While not the toughest game in the books, that is exactly the kind of game they have struggled with this year.
    @Cinn - While it is clear after yesterday that Balt. is a better team, Cinn may NEED that win in order to make the playoffs. Nothing will be off the table...nothing.

I truly believe if we can win out that Baltimore will lose the division to us in the final week of the year. As much as I would like to clinch a playoff spot this week, I would rather the 7-5 teams all continue to do the same thing, or at least some of them. I want Cinn NEEDING that win to make the playoffs.

7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Looking at the schedules of the potential #6 seeds:

Jets, only really play the Giants. Other than that, they should win all games remaining. 3-1 to end at 10-6.
    Oakland, plays Green Bay this week, loss. Then plays Detroit, KC, and SD. I am going to guess they end 2-2.
    Tenn and Cinn are linked in a way. They each play a team that they are clearly not as good as with Tenn playing NO and Cinn playing Balt. They both play 2 teams which they should beat easily. (Tenn - Indy, Jacksonville)(Cinn - St. Louis, Arizona). On another note, Tenn beat Cinn earlier in the year, a loss which may haunt Cinn.

The best scenario IMO is that Cinn gets in a spot for the final game where they NEED that win in order to either make the playoffs or even have a shot at the playoffs if others lose. THAT is what we want.

8. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree i think SD can do damage if the Bolts can just get it together for that game.

I still think the Playoff seedings need to be different. It should be by record and not division winners. For example the Steelers having the better record is a 5 seed. But you got the pats with the same record is a 1 seed and we beat the pats. The broncos 7-5 are a 4 seed. we would have to go there and play. makes no sense.

9. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The first things is that we don't want the Texans to beat the Bengals, we want the Bengals to beat the Texans. We have beaten the Bengals twice and lost to the Texans, so we need the Bengals to beat the Texans. If we win out and the Bengals beat the Texans and Ravens, we are the number 1 seed in the AFC. Because we lost to the Texans if we end up with the same 13-3 record as the Texans, they will have the number 1 seed because they beat us, so we need them to lose at least one game.

I say we will win out because the 49ers have already clinched their division and may rest players in our Monday night matchp. Plus, Patrick Willis sustained a hamstring injury in their Sunday game. I think that if we put some serious pressure on them they will fold pretty much. They are going to save their best effort for the playoffs. Their #2 playoff seeding is pretty much secure.

10. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    the Pats will be ahead of the Steelers because they will win their division. unless the Steelers win theirs.

i would much rather see the Steelers not get a bye. i know that probably means they are getting in as a wildcard team then, but they dont play well coming of a week off.

11. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yes, Scenario #2 seems likely.

I'm still not counting the Bengals out, though. For some reason I think the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals will all be in the playoffs. Maybe because the Bengals have been playing well and I think it would be cool as all h*ll for the AFC North to show such dominance.

12. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am also hoping the BeGALs are 'hungry' against Baltimore. I don't care if Steelers have not responded as well after the bye - it still means one less game (losing opportunity). Being either #1 or #2 seed is what we want.

Steelers did well yesterday (and BeGALs played poorly. However, we need to be sure not to let up against Cleveland.

I will be happy with any playoff spot and v. happy with a first round bye.

13. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    EDITED ORIGINAL POST ABOVE