1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Players you watch this camp

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    For me, hands down Golson and Hargrave. Tomlin was all about Golson last year, and so were a lot of those that cover the NFL. If not for his size he was a 1st rounder. He could be a catalyst for the secondary if he stays healthy. Kid can cover WRs and play the ball. Hargrave has at small school rap, but he def has a chance for ample playing time unless Big Dan turns it up, and even then Hargrave will see action if he can push the Oline around in camp. The Oline is no longer weak, and prob top 5 in the league, so he can turn heads with success over the next few weeks. We find some more QB pressure, and we may have something this year???

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm also pretty pumped to see Colson. I'm the most "intrigued" by Hargrave though.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah Golson...I have a feeling he is the real deal.

I always like to see the fringe players during camp. I want to see if any of the young WR make a jump. Shakim Phillips and Canaan Severin.

I really like the young linemen from LSU we drafted, I think he is Ramon's future replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It has to be Golson, Hargraves, Artie Burns,Sean Davis, Feeney, Grant, Chick I will be watching. If we are going
    to get where we need to be these players need to step up and play well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think Rogers has a much better chance of making the squad than Phillips. A few players keep mentioning him as someone to lookout for.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Matekevich.

I have a feeling he will be a camp hero (i.e. cut to all our dismay in preseason), but there's something about the guy's attitude I want to root for.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    robert golden and ross cockrell and anthony chickillo.
    :cool:

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    When did we get him??? What position does he play? Is he any good? :lolol:

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ben! He is slim, ready to go motivated by a lost MVP season last year. I want to see zip on the ball, chemistry with Wheaton, James, Green and Coates.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He is an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. so he has to be good

• Like Like x 1
  11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! Yeah you know! Chuck Colson. Former Council to Richard Nixon. The Rooney's had him re-animated to play corner. They figured it would at least be an upgrade over Blake. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Alejandro Villanueva. I would love to see him claim that LT position long-term.

13. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am going to camp this Sunday. I am looking forward to watching Burns and Davis for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  14. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I watched Matamevich against Penn State last year and he was making play after play. He doesn't have the measurables but I think he's a better option than Zumwalt, Reilly, Johnson and Fortt. If they keep 10 LB's I think he makes the final 53.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Davis and Feeney

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Golson, Coates, Green, James, Feeney, Hargrave, Ryan Harris, Toussaint.

17. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    For me it is mostly about the young guys....guys from the last couple of years of the draft or players you expect or hope take a big leap.

AV on the Oline
    All of the TEs.
    Ayers and the fringe WR fighting for spot #5 and PR.
    Wheaton and Coates, seeing if they will take a jump.
    Toussaint, since he will be the #2.
    McCullers, Walton, Matthews, and Hargrave
    Shazier...All Pro year? I bet we don't see him much though
    Dupree...can he take a jump?
    The other OLB and ILB guys...who else makes the roster.
    Jones....can he actually get to the QB?
    Burns, Golson, Davis, Cockrell, Grant, and Thomas. We know what we have in Gay and Mitchell, but every other spot.

I love this stuff. The roster build, the potential. I love where we are headed, but want to see us build this.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Dupree × 100. If he develops.. no.. when he gets in sync with his own repertoire.. watch out.

Honorable mention is Sammie Coates. Markus Wheaton and Heyward-Bey give Pittsburgh solid options. However, Coates was drafted to be the failsafe in case Bryant kept diminishing himself. He now has a chance to prove himself.

Others include:

Top 3 2016 Draft Picks: All three have positions that are up for grabs. Question remains as to how well they will show themselves and can they continue said momentum to become starters before the start of the season

B.J. Finney: Had he not had that catastrophic knee injury, he would have made the final 53 given his considerable improvement from the HOF game to the finale. Considering he made a vets min. during last season and considering he is a year wiser now, hopefully he can be the teams swing guard should either DeCastro or Foster go down.

Senquez Golson: More curious than anxious than I thought I would be. Now that he is not on the PUP, I wonder how well will he match up against the Heyward Beys of the world considering receivers 6'3 or taller gave him issues.

Alejandro Villanueva: I knew he was going to start this year when Beach walked. It was the way 2015 went that changed everything. All things considered, any experience that Alejandro was "supposed" to receive would have been gold. Now with not only 10 games but two postseason games under his belt, his experience is now platinum. However, will all that be enough to hold off newcomer Ryan Harris?

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Woohoo! Your yearly trek. Looking forward to your report :smiley1:

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    AV

Feel good story. American hero. He wins the LT spot. Goes to pro bowl a couple times. I drink a couple of beers and watch the movie of his life.

• Like Like x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The battle for the 5th WR spot will be interesting to watch, between Ayers, Philips, and Rogers. See if one of these guys can be a punt returner.

23. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Coates might not be Bryant fast but he can go. I would love to see him do this to Pacman.

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Didn't Coates' highlight reel have a ton of footage of him burning Golson like crazy?

25. DonKnock

DonKnock Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2016
    I know Feeney's Cousin so there is a vested interest there

Also interested in Sean Davis and Artie Burns, love me some secondary play, I played both corner and safety back in the day

so last year was a bit hard to watch for me:facepalm:

Hope these young guys will benefit from having to guard AB in practice!