1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

PLAYERS PLAYING TO WIN, WHILE COACHES COACHING NOT TO LOSE!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steeler guru, Jan 16, 2017.

1. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    I didn't like what I saw tonite in Kansas City.

The players were playing to win, but the coaches appeared to be play-calling scared to lose.

I could sense that Kansas City smelled fear and they sold out to stop the run, and the play calling played right into their hands.

It felt like the Steelers were trying to milk the clock with a Half of football left. Too much can happen in a second Half of football, for a team to burn clock that they might wish they had back.

Running the ball is fine to set-up the pass, but running the football because you're scared to throw is a losers mentality. It only makes throwing harder if you only throw when you have to.

The running game was working, so by all means keep pounding it, but when they crowd the line and the passing game presents opportunity, you can't be afraid to throw.

It seemed like Jesse James was wide open every time Ben looked for him, it was obvious KC didn't game plan for him.

I think KC even smelled fear when our defense was on the field because we weren't rotating LB's very well. Deebo needed a blow long before they gave him one, and I saw Timmons covering the fastest man in football deep down the middle. That same guy was running wide open deep on a number of occasions, but thank God Alex Smith has a weak arm and can't throw deep.

WE CAN'T GAME PLAN TO PLAY ATTACKING FOOTBALL, THEN PLAY SCARED WHEN THE MOMENTUM SHIFTS.

IF YOU GAME PLAN TO ATTACK, THEN ATTACK.

HALEY WAS CALLING SCARED PLAYS, AND TOMLIN HAD TO HAVE REALIZED IT. TOMLIN SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN HIS GRILL TELLING HIM TO CALL PLAYS TO WIN.

I saw the same thing happen to the Texans when the Patriots took the game over.
    Brady and Edelman played pitch and catch against a Texan DB that was playing scared.

Tonite, there was times when Alex Smith had all day back there because we were too scared to rotate defensive players. We were beating dead horses.

This isn't the first time I saw the coaches coach scared, usually we lose when they do that.

If you lose a lead in the 3rd quarter, you still have time to get it back, if you keep attacking.

Tomlin needs to man-up and tell his coaches to quit coaching scared. If the game plan is to attack, then keep attacking. !!!
    I think the scared coaching and play calling rubs off on Ben. They showed him on the sidelines when the heat was on, and he looked like a deer in the headlights. There was no fire in his eyes, just fear.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. tangofoxwhiskey

tangofoxwhiskey Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2015

Hey now, this is a family forum. j/k

Respectfully disagree. I think they had the right game plan and executed it. The only ways we were going to lose the game was by turning the ball over or giving up special teams scores. Our one turnover was an INT on a deflection. Other than our opening squib kick that gave KC the ball on their 45, we bottled up their return units all game.

Our biggest problem was not punching the ball into the end zone, but the KC defense had some say in that. Red zone play calling and not scoring TDs gave my ulcers ulcers, but Boswell's 18 points won the game with a stellar performance by our defense.

We'll need to do a lot better to win in Foxboro, but at least we're getting the opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think throwing on 3rd and 3 in your own end zone with the game literally on the line when your qb has had a pretty off night is "coaching scared". I'd say it's the complete opposite and honestly if that hadn't worked there would be more torches and pitchforks out right now than even Frankenstein would expect.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 8
  4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I just hope Ben doesn't show up looking like Brock Roethlisberger.:facepalm:

5. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Yes, playcalling was the difference between putting away the game earlier or suffering at the end. They will need a different approach next week, and hopefully they realize it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tangofoxwhiskey

Dec 8, 2015
    Yeah, we're probably going to need one (make that two) of Ben's 5-6 TD games to get number seven.

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    If we get past the Pats and have to play the Packers I really think we have a VERY good shot at making that happen.

8. tangofoxwhiskey

Dec 8, 2015
    I hope so.
    Goodnight, blountforcetrauma and the rest of the late night crew.

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Later dude. Me too.

10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'm guessing in your haste to make this post you forgot about the two passing plays that sealed the game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Not on that last drive...

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like what boz did for us but 3's won't cut it next week. :cool:

13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I could not disagree more. I am wondering what game you watched

14. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015

I'm talking about playing attack football when the momentum is in your favor, and playing scared when the momentum shifts. When you lose the momentum you have to keep attacking to swing it back your way, not go into a shell.
    Its like in boxing, you get hit with a good shot, you can run or you can counter-punch.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    whenever you have one of these "big picture; understanding the game" thoughts... after jotting it all down, re-read it and remind yourself that what actually happened on the field is likely the complete opposite of what you wrote down.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I actually agree with you on this. However on the last possession we did attack and was glad we didn't try to run it up as they were waiting for that. However earlier in the game we didn't attack at times when I thought we should of and played too conservative on offense. We have good receivers and decent tight ends with good pass blocking line, use play action and attack. We didn't and the score was indicative of that. We can't play that way against New England.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    In all seriousness, Ben has had several games in a row where he hasn't been on. HE MUST BE ON AGAINST THE PATS!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I don't see it that way.. Ben was getting a lot of balls tipped at the LOS yesterday.. And Bell was running it down their throats. Gotta ride with what's working. I just don't know why that seemed to change the closer we got to the goal line.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    All this nonsense that Ben played bad. How about a little credit to KC, they got their hands up in the paling lanes all night and peters (I think) made great play to break up a TD.

Ben made some pretty big throws in that game too, not the least of which was a 3rd down conversion. Also a bomb on the money to AB.

But yes, if anything less than 500 yards and 6 TD's is an off night to you, Ben had an off night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Gotta nitpick. If the bomb to AB was on the money, he walks in to the end zone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Gotta give KC a lot of the credit there - that's what they do. Not saying it wasn't partly us, but you can't look past that fact.

22. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    True. AB had massive separation on the LB that was defending. Little more air under that and easy TD. It is interesting that Ben seems to be over throwing WRs lately but had some way underthrown balls last night.

23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Agree with coaching playing not to lose. Everybody needs to play to win this weekend and leave it all on the field.

24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Sure it would. We would just have to get 3 on every single possession and come up with a couple stops on defense

25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Bellicheat is going to go all out to stop Bell. He knows he and our improved defense are the reason for our win streak.

Expect 8-9 in in the box, Ben is going to have to get us this win, and anyone not named AB will have to step up big time.

• Agree Agree x 1