1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Player preference by Round

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Apr 15, 2020.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    There are a handful of players I wouldn't mind being selected by the Steelers next week. I kind of have them grouped by what round they may go or be available. Trying to guess what round a player is going to go is always a crap shoot though. Not listed in order of preference but I will give an opinion at the end.

2nd Round -
    WR - Chase Claypool Notre Dame, Michael Pittman USC
    OL - Cesar Ruiz Michigan, Isaiah Wison Georgia
    S - Ashytn Davis California

3rd Round -
    OL - Robert Hunt Louisiana, Tyler Biadasz Wisconsin, Matt Hennessy Temple
    RB - Cam Akers FSU
    LB - Akeem Davis-Gaither App State, Jordyn Brooks Texas Tech
    CB - Bryce Hall Virginia

4th Round (two picks)
    RB - Darrynton Evans App State
    WR - Antonio Golden-Gandy Liberty
    DL - Davon Hamilton OSU
    LB - Alex Highsmith Charlotte
    CB - Michael Ojemudia Iowa
    S - Brandon Jones Texas, Terrell Burgess Utah

6th Round
    OL - Jon Runyan Michigan
    LB - Mykal Walker Fresno State, Davion Taylor CU, TJ Brunson South Carolina

7th Round
    TE - Charlie Woerner Georgia, Sean McKeon Michigan
    LB - David Woodward Utah ST
    S - Daniel Thomas Auburn

2nd - Cesar Ruiz would be my first choice but slim chance him being there, so I'll go Pittman. Big target and weapon for Ben to get that Red Zone back to what it was in 2018.

3rd - I've seen Biadasz all over the place so no idea where he'll go but I think he will be gone so I'll go Akeem Davis-Gaither. We need rotational help at ILB and coaches put him all over the place all star week and got good reviews.

4th - Davon Hamilton and Brandon Jones. Need a space eater and depth in the middle of the defensive line and this team always drafts safeties. We need depth there too.

6th - I love those 3 LBers for depth and STs especially but OL needs something so its Jon Runyan.

7th - Woodward was a tackling machine and we could use a TE that can block but Derek Watt will help there, so I like Daniel Thomas as another S prospect. But really drafted as a STs contributor.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I would add Antonie Winfield Jr. and sub him for Ashtyn Davis. NFL Bloodlines, Power 5 School, top 10 performer in the SPARQ category and between the age of 21 to 23 being just 22 when the season starts. Ashtyn will be 24 by that point.

Agree 100% with Ruiz though. Had it not been for such a weak Interior Offensive Line class, Ruiz falls easily. Sadly, the lack of quality will likely propel him into either late 1st to early 2nd territory. Whomever gets him has a player with Pro Bowl potential.

Isaiah Wilson is another. In all honesty, I like him better than Austin Jackson. Only major reason Austin is graded higher by some is his ability to play Left Tackle given his natural gifts. That said, this league has changed from simply having your best pass rusher attack from one side to pinpoint your teams weaknesses and attack from there. Right Tackle is usually for run blocking. Not Isaiah though. Give him a year to develop. Will be a top 10 Right Tackle in the NFL by then assuming all goes well.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

Good point on the age of Winfield vs Davis. Winfield's height gives me concern but if he was the pick I wouldn't be upset. I like his tackling for his size.

I listed a lot of OL, LB and S. 3 areas where depth concerns me the most. DL would be another but it was hard for me to find many I liked.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Like the positions you selected hopefully we will find some ball players from this list.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Winfield though talented makes me think back to the troy draft when it was between he and Bob sanders for the top safety spot. Sanders was talented too but was always hurt and that continued into the pro's. He ended up retiring early because of it.

Davis again talented but very aggressive and plays out of control a lot. Over running plays and tackles. In the pro's that will cost a team big. I think back to Sean Davis taking out the haden interception. Can they turn that off and coach it out of him? I

Still liking Douglas Coleman III. Talk that he could be the steal of the draft if let hang around until the late rounds.

My thoughts on those two at 49. My main concern is filling the void of Barron first. Huge hole. Troy Dye is starting to grow on me. :cool:

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't draft Davis #49, if he was there in the third then maybe.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

One major aspect working in Winfield's favor that did not work for Bob Sanders; conditioning. Keep in mind that Winfield Jr.s father played in the NFL for a long time and he knows some of the basics and fundamentals of being prepared in the NFL. Bob never had that aspect to begin with. In addition, unlike Tua, I do not see too many issues with Winfield down the line. Keep in mind that TJ Watt had a Knee injury that prevented him from playing for almost three years (October 2012 to September 2015).

Again and, as I said, T.J.'s ability to stay healthy in the pros in comparison to college is an exception to the rule. That said, Winfield Jr.s Hamstring and foot injuries are not the career killers they were 15 to 20 years ago as Sports Medicine and Health Science have come a long way since then. In addition, keep in mind he was a finalist for the Bronco Nagurski Award and me and you both know how much that award carries well into the NFL. If he is capable to showcasing such talent for one season, even if he is a Junior, there is no telling as to what his ceiling can be once he gets to the pros.

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Injury history is always a concern but at the same time a injury can happen at any second. Winfield has admitted he didn’t take care of his body early in his college career. He didn’t take care of his body after and between games such as ice soaks and other recovery aspects. He has since changed that going into his last season at Minnesota and I’m sure it was some luck as well but he stayed healthy and had a great season. We’ll see where he ends up and don’t think he’ll be there when we pick.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Personally I do. Then again, keep in mind that I am assuming Grant Delpit plays himself into the top half of the second round. Grant Delpit is a Free Safety; a pretty good one at that. His issue is tackling. Someone WILL likely have to trade up to get him as his range, instincts and ball skills are top 10 worthy in not just this draft but any draft. His main weakness though is tackling; his biggest red flag.

Keep in mind though that the team does not have to acquire a Safety this season. Pittsburgh can hold off on that for one more season as his fifth year option is in 2022. Hamsah Nasirlideen would be my current choice in 2021 but he is likely going to be a Top 20 pick by the time the 2020 NCAA FBS I College Season concludes.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Cesar Ruiz, Isaiah Wilson and Jordyn Brooks gone in the first.

My preference for tonight:

49 - Michael Pittman WR USC He's been my guy in this spot for the past month or so.
    102 - Akeem Davis-Gaither LB Appalachian State He would see a lot of snaps in 2020 and would provide a lot of depth with Gilbert, not to mention the ST's contributions.

What I think they do:

49 - I almost guarantee its an offensive lineman... Lloyd Cushionberry III OL LSU. Not a bad pick at all. Probably available when we pick too. I could see an OT like Niang or Prince Wanogho if they want to go that route. And I wouldn't be surprised if Hennessy, Jonah Jackson or Matthew Peart get their name called. Too early??? I don't know, they know more than me.
    102 - Alex Highsmith LB Charlotte. I think they want to deepen the depth here and get someone in the pipeline for when Bud leaves in 2021. Good pick too.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Wow nice. Had Claypool in my 2nd round preference pool. Excellent pick imo.

• Like Like x 1
  13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    ohhh damn,,what;up,

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

No to offensive lineman, but nailed the 3rd rounder

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You had him all the way Turtle.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I see a couple went higher than I thought......Matt Hennessy, Robert Hunt, Jordyn Brooks, Cam Akers. And most disappointing..Davon Hamilton. I will lament that loss when I watch McCullers enter the field.

LB Davion Taylor went in the 3rd too, people thought I was crazy for that one too, along with Jordyn Brooks.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Zack Moss went to the Bills...............
    ummmm they drafted Devin Singletary last year,,, shows you how much they view broken tackles as a predictor for NFL success. They got a doozie...