1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Player development?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Wardismvp, Mar 18, 2024.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Could somebody tell me under MT era what draft picks other than first round
    draft picks have been developed under his coaching staff? Thanks.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    None! Zero! Nada, nyet!

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    According to the board, Mason Rudolph. The board said he sucked when we picked him, complained about him all through 2019, cursed the front office when they re-signed him in 2023, and now want him made Mayor of Pittsburgh when he won three games at the end of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Mason Rudolph kept his head down and kept working even when he was relegated to QB3 behind two less talented QBs. He also attended off-season workout programs designed to make him a better quarterback even though he was underappreciated in Pittsburgh. Rudolph took his development into his own hands and has become better because of it. If he were relying on the likes of Mike Tomlin, Randy Ficthner and Matt Canada to help elevate his game, he would be out of the league by now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    That is what I thought.

6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    No. You didn’t think. That’s how this thread came about.

7. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    There are so many that it would be impossible to list them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Name 12, then name 12 more

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    AB
    Highsmith
    LeVeon
    Diontae
    Woodley
    Mike Wallace
    Tuitt
    Marcus Gilbert
    Dan Moore

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Good list, I was guessing it was small, a fraction of all the drafted players. Not many players get better

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ab, JPJ, K. Benton, Cam Sutton, J. Hargrave, and Jaylen Warren just off the top of My head to go with @steelersrule6 list. I bet if You really dug....You could find a lot more.

12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    How would a UDFA like Jaylen Warren fit into your player development theory?

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I mentioned Him above.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    big Al, fieler, nick herbig, foster, lil heyward. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Do you think the Steelers had to train him to get better?

16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Under the MT era? There's been plenty.... I'm a detractor of his as of late, but it is hard to say that we haven't developed players since 2007 outside the first round. Tomlin has his warts and deficiencies, but this is a ridiculous notion.

2007 - Lamarr Woodley (2nd), William Gay (5th) - Woodley developed into a really good player then got fat and lazy after he got paid. Gay became a great slot CB over time
    2008 - Ryan Mundy (6th) - Was a fantastic 3rd safety that had multiple years as a starter post-Steelers. Great value for the 6th round
    2009 - Mike Wallace (3rd) - Was better as a Steeler, but a very solid WR
    2010 - Jason Worilds (2nd), Emmanuel Sanders (3rd), Antonio Brown (6th) - Worilds was a good player that retired early. Sanders lost out to the money game in Pitt, but was a great #2 for Denver. AB was likely the best WR in the league that was developed at home
    2011 - Marcus Gilbert (2nd) - Turned into a solid starting RT.
    2012 - Kelvin Beachum (7th) - Not too often you get a solid starting LT in the 7th.... enough said
    2013 - Le'veon Bell (2nd), Vince Williams (6th) - Bell was an All-Pro stud and Bince became a hard nosed starting ILB in the league. Great value in the 6th.
    2014 - Stephon Tuitt (2nd) - Excellent player. Turned into a really good one, with a very sad end to his career.
    2015 - Jesse James (5th) - Became a really good complementary player who signed a good deal elsewhere. Long career for a guy who was taken in the 5th
    2016 - Javon Hargrave (3rd), Tyler Matakevich (7th) - Hargrave developed into a stud and got priced out of the Burgh, while Matakevich developed from a late round flier into a core ST and solid BU LBer. Was still in the league last season.
    2017 - JuJu Smith-Shuster (2nd), James Conner (3rd), Cam Sutton (3rd), Josh Dobbs (4th) - Juju was better in Pitt, but became a solid WR. Conner developed into a good starting RB, Sutton into a #1/#2 tweener, and Dobbs a quality BU QB. Great draft.
    2018 - Mason Rudolph (3rd), Chukwuma Okorafor (3rd) - Mason developed into a solid BU, and Chuks is probably a low end starter somewhere in the league, or at least a very good swing T.
    2019 - Diontae Johnson (3rd) - Diontae developed nicely in Pittsburgh. He is probably a low end #1 or a quality #2. Good player.
    2020 - Alex Highsmith (3rd) - Developed into a great #2 pass rusher. Would be a #1 on a lot of teams. We squandered Dotson as he became a really good player that we played out of position.

I wont judge players after that just due to few number of years in the league. A lot of good quality players from outside the first round. Some became studs, some starters, and some integral depth pieces. Lots of wins outside the first round. This also doesn't encompass all the great players developed from a UDFA perspective (Warren, Hubbard, Foster, Villanueva, Feiler, etc.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    The better question should be what QB’s have developed under Tomlin? I think that is where he has been weak. But of course so much of this is about the position coaches. Look at the Oline. How many have we developed since we lost Munchack? I am not sold on our DC but I do think we have good position coaches at DL, CB and LB on that side. I think the Arthur Smith hire was good and we should see improvement on that side of the ball. We made a much needed change with the Wr position coach. Not sold on Pat Meyer at OL ... I think this is the year he has to prove himself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    No. That’s not a better question

19. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Why? Under Tomlin only Pickett (1st), Oladokun (7th), Rudolph (3rd), Dobbs (4th), Jones (4th), and Dixon (5th) have been taken. Sure, Pickett sucked, but Rudolph and Dobbs both developed into reliable back up QB's while Jones, Dixon, and Oladokun never amounted to anything in the league. We have to remember that over 40% of top 10 picks bust out of the league at the QB position. Over 70% of 1st round QB's bust. We hit one of the 70%ers with Pickett, but we had 2/5 of our mid to late round picks carve a role out in the league. That's actually not too bad at all.

20. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    He took Ben from a game manager to a Hall of Famer. Think that counts as developing a QB.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Nice you make a comment with no explanation backing it up.

22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Was it him or was it Haley? Who has he developed besides Ben? What I am saying is look what they have done in SF with Purdy who is considered an inferior talent to Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t feel like we really developed any QB under Tomlin with the exception of Ben. I feel like Tomlin’s style can sometimes hamper the QB’s and at times not allow them to play with confidence. As important as it is to win the turnover battle if you stress it so much to the point you paralyze the QB because your in their head it isn’t a good thing. I think Tomlin or at least the last two Coordinators played so careful they got into the QB’s heads wether it was Rudolph. Pickett or Hodges. Even Ben regressed but his situation was understandable. I think you need a happy medium. It is so hard to evaluate who or what the issues are with so many moving parts. The good thing is we are finally solidifying the offensive line, we got a new OC and were going to focus on play action and the run game so you add in Wilson or Fields to the mix and it should be markedly better.

24. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I think Bruce Arians and Haley did that. Tomlin left those guys do their job. With that being said on the flip side of the coin he let Canada and the OC before him do their job to which was not very good. So in honesty Tomlin didn’t really change it was the OC.

25. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    It is hard to say we didn't develop well when two mid round QB's turned out to be solid NFL back up QB's. Ben obviously. Someone like Hodges is such a long shot to even be on an NFL roster to begin with, it is hard to fault the Steelers' coaching for not turning him into an NFL mainstay (even as a back up). QB is just a volatile position. Guys bust out of the league at a high rate at the position, so instances like Landry Jones, Kenny Pickett, etc. will happen. It's the nature of the league.

Now, you make a solid argument that our last two offensive coordinators (Fichtner and Canada) have been utter dumpster fires for us. But good QB's would still be successful in those systems (even if at a lesser degree to their full potential).

I will agree that having an actual OC with NFL success will help. As will adding proven NFL capable QB's to the mix (Wilson past his prime, Fields trying to reach it). I do think the offense should be better than last year. It has to be, right? There really isn't much room to regress.

• Agree Agree x 1